Decision Maker: Charitable Trustee Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The purpose of this report is to update
members of the committee on the current position with the assets of
the Dr Chadwick Trust and to seek formal approval as
The Committee considered a report of the Director of Economy which detailed the assets held by the Trust and sought determination as to whether each plot of land should be disposed of or retained by the Trust.
Alternatives considered: To either retain or dispose of the Trust’s assets.
Decision: (1) That the interests of the Trust within the area of Newhey incorporating Beech Street, Garden Street, Broomfield Terrace, Broom Street, Beresford Street, Wolseley Street Huddersfield Road, Gordon Street and Stewart Street be placed for sale on open market by auction with the exception of the site designated as Plot E between Wolseley Street and Beresford Street.
(2) That the Senior Property Manager Estates & Assets be delegated authority:
a) to approve the auction reserve price, and
b) in conjunction with the Committee Chair, to agree a sale prior to auction should an offer be received that appears unlikely to be matched at auction or to agree the terms of an off-market sale following the auction should the lot fail to sell.
(3) Plot F be included in the auction sale referred to above.
(4) Land designated as Plot B between Stewart Street and Leywood Drive be retained.
(5) That the work undertaken to formalise the occupation of the bus terminus designated as Plot C, by the Council/Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM), in order to secure back-rent and a capital receipt or annual income in line with the market value of the site, are noted.
(6) That the formal registration and proposed transfer from the Trust to the Council of the site designated as Plot D at Beresford Street, are postponed until 01 April 2018 in order to provide the Council with more time to produce realistic proposals to turn the site into a car park for Newhey Metrolink and village centre.
(7) That Plot E between Wolseley Street and Beresford Street is marketed for disposal, having first
a) secured the formal registration of the site in the Trust’s name, and
b) allowed the Council until 01 April 2018 to produce realistic proposals to turn the site into a car park for Newhey Metrolink and village centre.
(8) That land designated as Plot G on Newhey Road be retained.
Reason for decision: The Trustees have a responsibility to discharge their duties as charitable trustee in respect of the Dr Chadwick Trust solely in the interests of the charity.
Report author: Peter Gregory
Publication date: 09/11/2017
Date of decision: 06/11/2017
Decided at meeting: 06/11/2017 - Charitable Trustee Committee