Venue: Council Chamber - Rochdale Town Hall
Contact: Elaine Newsome 01706 924793
Declarations of Interest
Members are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary, personal or personal and prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests relating to items on this agenda and/or indicate if S106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.
There were no declarations of interest.
The Mayor advised of the recent deaths of former Mayor and Honorary Freeman of the Borough, John Beasley and former Mayoress Maud Jenkins.
The Leader paid tribute to John Beasley, who had been elected in 1980 as a member of Rochdale MBC’s Castleton Ward and after losing his seat in 1984, he won a by-election in the Central and Falinge Ward in 1985; a Ward he then represented until he retired in 2004.
During his time at Rochdale Councillor Beasley also served as a Member of the Policy Committee, Social Services Committee, Rochdale Township Committee, Rochdale Planning Sub-Committee and the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Upon his retirement from the Council in 2004 he was made a Freeman of the Borough in recognition of his loyalty and hard work.
The Council observed a period of silence in their memory.
Election of Mayor
Councillor Dearnley will move and Councillor Neil Emmott will second the election of Councillor Ian Duckworth as Mayor for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
Councillor Dearnley moved and Councillor Neil Emmott seconded the election of Councillor Ian Duckworth as Mayor for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
That Councillor Ian Duckworth be elected as Mayor for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
Declaration of Acceptance
Councillor Duckworth will sign the Declaration of Acceptance.
Councillor Ian Duckworth signed the Declaration of Office and took the Chair.
(The Mayor, Councillor Duckworth, in the Chair)
Appointment of Deputy Mayor
Councillor Farnell will move and Councillor Zaheer will second the election of Councillor Zaman as Deputy Mayor for the Municipal Year 2017/18.
Councillor Farnell moved and Councillor Zaheer seconded the election of Councillor Mohammed Zaman as Deputy Mayor for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
That Councillor Mohammed Zaman be elected as Deputy Mayor for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
To authorise the signing of the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 29th March 2017.
The Council considered the minutes of the Council meeting held on 29th March 2017.
That the minutes of the Council meeting held on 29th March 2017 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Mayor.
The Council considered the report of the Leader which sets out a number of changes to Cabinet Portfolios and which also confirmed the appointment of Cabinet Members and Assistants to portfolio holders for the 2017/18 Municipal Year. In presenting the report, the Leader referred to some additional minor changes to portfolios which had been circulated at the meeting.
1. That the Leaders’ appointments to Cabinet positions, the allocation of portfolios to Cabinet Members and the appointment of Assistants to Portfolio holders as detailed in the table below be noted;
2. That the Leader re-affirms the joint arrangements and delegation of executive functions to individual cabinet members, Township Committees and Officers as set out in Part 3 (Scheme of Delegation) of the Council’s Constitution.
Council considered a report setting out the nominations for the opposition portfolio spokespersons for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
That approval be given to the nominations to the Shadow Portfolio Spokespersons for the 2017/ 18 Municipal Year as follows:
Council considered a report which outlined nominations to Committees and the appointment of Chairs and Vice Chairs for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
1. That approval be given to the appointments to Committees and Joint Committees and the appointment of Chairs and Vice Chairs of each Committee, including the Chairs and Vice Chairs of the Township Committees as detailed below:-
Heywood Township to be comprised of all Members from the following wards:
Chair: Councillor Peter Rush
Vice Chair: to be appointed at first Township meeting
Middleton Township to be comprised of all of the Members from the following wards:
Chair: Councillor June West
Vice Chair: to be appointed at first Township meeting
Pennines Township to be comprised of all of the Members from the following wards
Chair: Councillor John Blundell
Vice Chair; to be appointed at first Township meeting
Rochdale Township to be comprised of all of the Members from the following wards
Chair: Councillor Shaun O’Neill
Vice Chair: to be appointed at first Township meeting
Appointments to Committees
Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Chair (Labour) – Councillor Butterworth
Vice Chair (Conservative) – Councillor Stott
Health, Schools and Care Overview & Scrutiny Committee
Non-Elected Voting Members (voting rights in relation to education decisions only):
Church Representatives (to be notified)
Parent Governor Representatives (two vacancies)
Chair (Labour) – Councillor Rowbotham
Vice Chair (Conservative) – Councillor Sullivan
Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Chair (Conservative) – Councillor Clegg
Vice Chair (Labour) – Councillor Sultan Ali
Audit and Governance Committee
Liberal Democrat (1)
Independent Persons (non-voting) (in respect of elected member conduct issues):
Mr. A Underdown and Ms. A Taylor
Chair – Councillor O’Rourke
Vice Chair – Councillor Malcolm
Planning and Licensing Committee (Changed from October 2016 Membership increased to 15 with appointments to reflect Townships where possible)
Liberal Democrats (1)
Chair – Councillor Wardle
Vice Chair – ... view the full minutes text for item 9.
Council considered a report which outlined nominations to serve on the Boards, Partner Organisations, Management Committees of Voluntary Organisations and other External Bodies for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
1. That approval be given to the appointments to the Boards, Partner
Organisations, Management Committees of Voluntary Organisations and other External Bodies as detailed below:-
Local Government Association – Leader and Deputy Leaders, Councillor Dearnley
Rochdale Development Agency – Councillor Williams, Councillor Dearnley and the Chief Executive
Healey Dell Joint Management Committee – Councillors Heakin, O’Neil and Wazir
East Lancashire Railway Trust - Councillor Sheerin and two further appointments by the Heywood Township Committee
Heritage Trust – North West – Councillor Emsley
Ring & Ride Steering Group – Councillor Cocks
Rochdale Town Centre Management Company – Councillor Farnell, Councillor Dearnley and the Chair of the Rochdale Township Committee
Groundwork Trust for Rochdale and Oldham - Councillors West and Brosnan
Rochdale Shopmobility Executive Committee – Councillor Cocks and Councillor Gartside
North West Regional Association of Education Authorities – Councillor Martin
University of Salford Court – Councillor Martin
DVAW Inter-Agency Working Party – Councillor Robinson
North West Local Authorities Employers Organisation – Councillor Brett and Councillor Rashid
Rochdale Community Legal Service Partnership – Councillor West and Councillor Gartside
Reserve Forces and Cadets Association – Councillor McCarthy
Rochdale Boroughwide Housing Board Representative Committee - Councillors Rush, Sultan Ali, Ali Ahmed and Cocks
Board of the Leisure Trust (Link4Life) - Councillors Butterworth, Sheerin and Paolucci-Escobar
Rochdale Chamber of Commerce Local Council – Councillor Williams
Rochdale Borough Multi-Agency Racial Harassment Forum – Councillor Shakil Ahmed
The Joint Committee of England and Wales for the Civil Enforcement of Parking and Traffic Regulations – Councillor Neil Emmott
Pennines Prospects Board – Councillor Butterworth
Greater Manchester Forest Partnership – Councillor Rashid
Calder Valley Development Group – Councillor Hartley
Rochdale Safer Communities Partnership – relevant Portfolio Holder, Assistant to the Cabinet Member and opposition Portfolio Holders to serve on the Partnership
Children & Young People’s Partnership - Relevant Portfolio Holder, Assistants to the Cabinet Member and opposition Portfolio Holders to serve on the Partnership.
Rochdale Housing Initiative – Cabinet Member with responsibility for Housing and Environment
2. That the Leader of the Council, in consultation with the respective Group Leader where minority group appointments or nominations are required, be granted delegated authority to appoint or nominate to GMCA or AGMA bodies for the 2017/18 Municipal Year.
Council considered a report which requested approval of the current form of the Council’s Constitution, including the re-affirmation of executive arrangements and the Council’s Scheme of Delegation, as required by the Council’s Constitution. The Council was also asked to confirm the process for amending and updating the Constitution an ongoing basis.
1. That the Council re-affirms the Council Constitution, including joint arrangements and arrangements for the discharge and delegation of non-executive functions and the Schemes of Delegation for Officers, Township Committees and Development Control as adopted by the Council on 25th July 2001 and as amended subsequently.
2. That the Council notes the earlier determination by the Leader of the Council of executive arrangements, including joint arrangements, included in the Council Constitution and Schemes of Delegation as adopted by the Council on 25th July 2001 and as amended subsequently.
3. That the Monitoring Officer be authorised to amend the Constitution subsequent to decisions taken at the Annual Council meeting; to reflect matters arising from organisational or other review; and to amend the Scheme of Delegation to Officers on matters arising from legislative and/or approved operational changes, and to report these matters to the Council on a six monthly basis.
4. That amendments to the Constitution outside of the arrangements at (a) above must be approved by the Council on, where appropriate, the recommendation of the Committee of the Council charged with consideration of governance matters.
5. That the Council approves the amendment of Council Procedure Rule 13 relating to Members’ questions at meetings of the Council as outlined at paragraph 4.4 to the report as follows:-
(i) Questions to, and answers from, the Leader of the Council be dealt with in no more than 30 minutes;
(ii) Questions to and answers from other reporting Members of the Council be dealt with in no more than 15 minutes per reporting Member;
(iii) Questions to be submitted in written form, with one supplementary question without notice permitted; and
(iv) Remarks without notice be permitted.