Agenda and minutes

Venue: Syke Community Base, Syke Methodist Chapel, Syke Road, Rochdale. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

155.

Welcome, Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

156.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting pdf icon PDF 792 KB

    Minutes:

    PC Firth, PCSO Vohra and PCSO Stewart attended the meeting for this item.

     

    The Forum was informed that overall levels of crime in the Ward had fallen over the last three months. However there has been a recent rise in work vans being targeted. Although burglaries are down forum members were reminded to remain vigilant and introduce measures that would deter criminal activity.

     

    It was also reported that there had been a recent cannabis farm success and multiple GMP operations are currently active in the Ward.

     

    It was also reiterated that the Community and GMP have to work together to combat crime. Residents were encouraged to report incidents on the following numbers:

     

    Rochdale Police Station – 0161 856 8549

    PCSO Krishan Vohra – 07393 009181 – 61346@gmp.police.uk

    PC Jackie Butterworth – 13230@gmp.police.uk

    PC Sarah Firth – 11000@gmp.police.uk

    PCSO A. Stewart – 70642@gmp.police.uk

    Crimestoppers – 0800 555 111

     

    Residents raised the following issues.

     

    1.    Speeding

     

    A discussion took place about vehicles speeding in the Ward during which a  number of hot spots where identified – Dewhirst Road, Whitworth Road, Fieldhouse Road, Greenbank Road, Bentley Street and Shawclough Road.

     

    The Forum was informed that the number of traffic police had been significantly reduced in recent years which obviously had an impact upon the visibility of traffic police officers and operational effectiveness. Having said this GMP fully understood resident’s concerns and informed the Forum that discussions are ongoing with the traffic department in an attempt to organise a number of traffic operations in the Ward.

     

    2.    GMP responses following burglary’s

     

    Concerns were raised about the inconsistent approach of GMP responses to residents following incidents of burglary.

     

    It was explained to the Forum that because of the reduction in the number of Officers in would not be possible to respond in person to all reported incidents. Only the more serious incidents would result in GMP attending an incident. The ‘standard burglary’ would result in no visit only a phone call. Having said this, residents were encouraged to contact the Neighbourhood Team should they have any concerns.

     

     

    3.    Neighbourhood Watch

     

    In response to a question concerning the present status of the above, the Forum was informed that the scheme is in operation, however GMP no longer lead on this initiative. The main reason for this is that GMP have lost officers that previously had responsibility for this scheme.

     

    A link to the most recent Homewatch update can be accessed below.

     

    http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/documents/s60750/Homewatch%20Update.pdf

     

    4.    101 Number

     

    Concerns were raised about the ineffectiveness of this service.

     

    It was accepted that a large number of complaints had been received about this service and the length of time it took to obtain a response. However a recruitment drive is now underway to recruit call handlers which will hopefully result in residents receiving a much better service.

     

    The Forum was informed that a Police Surgery will take place at Thrum Hall Church on the 19th March 2018 – 7pm – 8pm.

     

    It was agreed that the three priorities for the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 156.

157.

Open Forum - An opportunity for local residents to comment on issues in the ward

    Minutes:

    The following issues were raised;

     

    1.    The Shawclough Drive road sign is damaged.

     

    2.    The Ashmount Drive / Dew Meadow Close / Mountside Close road repair is unsatisfactory and is in of need further attention.

     

    3.    Fly tipping is occurring on land adjacent to 1 Bentley Street

     

    4.    Water is spraying towards the pavement from the car wash next to Tesco Express on Whitworth Road. Litter is also accumulating behind the wall of the car wash.

     

    5.    A dropped kerb is required on the footpath that runs adjacent to the car wash on Whitworth Road.

     

    It was stated that all the above would be reported.

     

    A resident asked for an update on the damaged footpath that runs adjacent to Minky on Bentley Street.

     

    It was reported that no update was available although the Township and Engagement Officer had visited the site and reported the issue to Highways. A response would hopefully be available soon.

     

     

     

158.

Ward/Members Funds

    Minutes:

    It was reported that all Ward / Members Funds for 2017/2018 have been allocated and it was likely to be June 2018 before funds for 2018/2019 are known.

     

    It was explained that the Area Forum Sub Group met in February 2018 to consider a number of funding applications. The outcome of this meeting was as follows:

     

    -       Introduction of ‘clearway’ at bus stop on Falinge Road – agreed to ring fence £600 to this project subject to Councillors discussion with residents.

     

    -       Improvements to footpath on Cronkeyshaw Common (Fieldhouse Road to Greenbank Road) - £2000 agreed.

     

    -       Introduction of six Pickleball Courts at Syke tennis courts - £300 agreed.

     

    -       Introduction of two bollards near to Talbot Head public house to stop indiscriminate / dangerous parking - £242 agreed.

     

    -       Re-siting of 43 wooden bollards near to Hunters Rest public house - £1388 agreed.

     

    -       Installation of Christmas lights on a conifer on Cronkeyshaw Common. Various funding streams being used - £750 x 3 (Members Funds 2018 / 2019); £2032 allocated from Ward / Members Funds 2017/2018; Environmental carry-over £1072, and change of use of Shawclough Stone application £2000. Shortfall, likely to be in the region of £2929 to be sought from Rochdale Township Action and Resources Committee in 2018/2019.The change of use as referred to above was necessary because Councillor O’Neill had funded the Shawclough / Healey sign from his Members Fund.

     

    Concerns were raised about the lack of formal voting (show of hands) that took place at the Sub-Group meeting in February.

     

    The Chair explained that he believed a structured decision making procedure was in operation at the meeting. Each application and cost were explained, debate took place and each Sub-Group Member was given the opportunity to support or object to each proposal.

     

    However, given the concerns raised it was agreed that any future meetings considering funding applications would include a formal voting procedure.

     

    Some concerns were also raised about the cost of the Christmas tree project.

     

    Forum members were encouraged to submit funding applications sooner rather than later to avoid a large number of applications being considered in the last weeks of the financial year. The meeting was also reminded that if Ward Funds are not allocated before the end of February, in any given year, they would be re-directed to a central pot.

159.

Updates on issues raised at previous meeting

    Minutes:

    The following updates were provided:

     

    1.    Bushes – Hawley Green

     

    The work requested has now been completed.

     

    2.    Protocol and local bye-laws to deal with unauthorised traveller encampments.

     

    The Forum was informed that the Council had recently been successful in obtaining an interim High Court Injunction to deal with unauthorised traveller encampments. This injunction will enable the Council and GMP to deal more quickly with incidents of this nature and will hopefully result in a significant reduction of encroachments.

     

    3.    Ashmount Drive / Mizzy Road resurfacing

     

    These road repairs are on the Highway Maintenance Programme, however no date is available as to when the work will be completed.

     

    4.    Syke Pond.

     

    Financial support for the above project has now been secured.

     

    5.    Picnic benches on the Common

     

    The work requested has now been completed.

160.

Apologies for absences and approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 14 December 2017 pdf icon PDF 72 KB

    Minutes:

    Apologies had been received from Val Heather.

     

    The minutes of the Area Forum meeting held on Thursday 14th December 2017 were approved as a correct record subject to the following amendments;

     

    Page 5 item 6 should read: A resident commented that the bin rota leaflet for 2017/18 was poor in comparison to previous ones.

     

    Page 5 item 9 should read; Number 36 Whitworth Road

     

    It was also commented that the streets lights that where reported as being constantly on at the last forum – 24 Whitehall Street, 36 Whitworth Road and 8, 9 and 10 Thrum Hall Lane were still on.

161.

Matters arising from those minutes not listed as agenda items

    Minutes:

    The following updates were provided:

     

    1.    Conservation Area Status

     

    The Forum was informed that due to capacity issues the above application would not be considered at this moment in time. However it was not being dismissed entirely and may be considered in the future.

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to contact the Conservation Officer prior to each Area Forum to see if the above position had changed.

     

    2.    Do not feed geese signs

     

    The signs had been installed.

     

    A discussion took place about how effective these signs had been, was it really necessary to install the signs in the first place and a resident raised concerns about geese / duck welfare on the site.

     

    3.    Syke Road / Dewhirst Road Traffic Survey

     

    No costings had yet been received regarding traffic calming measures that had been identified in the above report.

     

    A resident asked why Greenbank Road, which it was stated suffers from parking congestion and incidents of speeding, was not included in the above survey. In response it was commented that at the time of commissioning the work only Syke Road and Dewhirst Road were identified.

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to meet with the resident to discuss further.

162.

Councillors' News

    Minutes:

    Ward Councillors informed the Forum of the following issues:

     

    1.    The Lady Alice is returning to Hollingworth Lake.

     

    2.    The town centre Post Office is being developed into a restaurant/bar.

     

    3.    NISA are opening a store in the town centre.

     

    4.    Apartments are being built above the Wellington public house in the town centre.

     

    5.    The work on the  mini-roundabout on Whitworth Road should be completed by tomorrow.

     

    6.    The triangular piece of land at the junction of Shawclough Road / Dell Road opposite the Healey public house will undergo environmental improvements soon – replanting of daffodils – planting of poppy’s  - sign being erected – woodland area to be cleaned up.

     

    7.    Funding being sought at the next Rochdale Township Action and Resources Sub Committee for road improvements on Dell Road.

     

    8.    The construction work on the Riverside development has now started.

     

     

     

     

163.

Good News from people in the area and Syke Community Base

164.

Date and time of the next meeting