Agenda and minutes

Venue: Syke Community Base, Syke Methodist Chapel, Syke Road, Rochdale. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

123.

Welcome, Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

124.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting

    Minutes:

    No GMP representative attended the meeting.

     

    The Chair informed the Forum that PCSO Martin Smith had recently moved to another role. The Chair thanked Martin for his work in the Ward. This was endorsed by the Forum.

     

    A general discussion followed with a number of issues being raised:

     

    -       Concerns that no GMP representative was present.

    -       Uncertainty about the role of Neighbourhood Policing.

    -       Would the previous PCSO be replaced.

    -       Lack of contact numbers for local GMP representatives.

    -       Homewatch members had not received a Homewatch update/information sheet for several months.

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate these issues further.

125.

Process for including/removing items from the action sheet that are raised during the Open Forum

    Minutes:

    The Forum was informed that discussions had taken place about introducing a process which effectively managed the inclusion and subsequent removal of action sheet items.

     

    The following process was agreed:

     

    1.     When an issue is raised at the Area Forum meeting consideration should be given about the relevance of including the issue onto the action sheet.

     

    2.     If not relevant for inclusion the Township and Engagement Officer will report to the appropriate service for information / action.

     

    3.     If it is agreed that the issue should be included on the action sheet the Township and Engagement Officer will report accordingly and feedback progress / action at the next available area forum meeting. Where possible the Township and Engagement Officer would provide the resident raising the issue with the service request / report number if the resident had provided an email address.

     

    4.     If progress / action is deemed appropriate by Forum members the issue will be removed from the action sheet. If progress / action is deemed unsatisfactory the issue will be referred to the Ward Councillors to progress.

     

    It was also agreed that the Chair and Vice Chair would determine the issues to be listed and removed from the action sheet.

126.

Open Forum - An opportunity for local residents to comment on issues in the ward

    Minutes:

    Residents raised the following issues:

     

    1.     Bentley Street verge opposite Fletton Close had been severely damaged.

    2.     A Ward funded bollard near to Tesco Express has been removed following an accident.

    3.     Does the Council have a corporate response policy.

    4.     Registrars staff (in the office) at the cemetery are very helpful.

    5.     Damage is being caused to grass verges by the way they are being cut. Shawclough Way was cited as an example.

    6.     Can speed cameras be installed on Shawclough Road.

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to report the issues raised. Shawclough Road would be discussed later in the meeting.

127.

Updates on issues raised at previous meeting including Shawclough Road Traffic Survey, Syke Pond, Syke Road Survey, Syke Road Picnic Benches, Shawclough Stone and The 10,000 Trees Project

    Minutes:

    The following updates where provided;

     

    -       Shawclough Road Traffic Survey

     

    A discussion took place regarding the outcome of the traffic survey recently undertaken on Shawclough Road. A number of residents expressed their concerns about speeding on Shawclough Road and the fact that the traffic survey did not arrive at recommendations which would address safety concerns. It was also mentioned that an accident had occurred on the road recently.

     

    It was stressed that the installation of speed cameras was unlikely as the road did not meet the criteria in terms of traffic speeds and serious accidents.

     

    -       Syke Pond

     

    The Forum was informed that no progress had been made on this project. Although financial support for the initiative had been agreed Cabinet had requested that a report be produced outlining on-going schemes. Until this report has been to Cabinet progress cannot be made.

     

    The Forum requested that the Officer leading on this project be invited to the next Forum meeting if the report had not been to Cabinet as requested.

     

    -       Syke Road Survey

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer informed the Forum that no progress had been made with the previous actions requested of Highways.

     

    In order to progress this issue the Forum agreed to commit £1500 from Ward Funds to undertake a traffic survey.

     

    -       Syke Road Picnic Benches

     

    The Forum was informed that a number of complaints had been received about the siting of the above benches. However no objectors attended the meeting to explain their concerns in more detail.

     

    Following debate it was agreed that the benches should not be placed in the area that had received the complaints and should be sited nearer to the Chapel. Environmental Management would need to be contacted to progress this issue.

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    -       Shawclough Stone

     

    This item was discussed because the cost of the project had increased to £2860.

     

    Following discussion and debate it was agreed to abandon the stone option, replacing it with a ‘Rochdale in Bloom’ type sign. The possibility of also introducing a ‘train silhouette’ on the land was also agreed.

     

     

    -       The 10,000 Trees Project

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer informed the Forum that he had received an email concerning the above project. In simple terms the 10000 Trees Project places additional trees on identified land.

     

    The Forum agreed that the Common be used as part of this project if possible.

     

    -       Council Policy on ‘A’ Boards

     

    No progress had been made on this.

     

    -       People crossing sign – Shawclough Road / Bentley Street

     

    A resident informed the Forum that this sign had now been installed.

     

    -       Parking bays adjacent to Syke Methodist Chapel

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer informed the Forum that Highways and Transport for Greater Manchester would not support the introduction of parking bays adjacent to the Chapel.

     

    The Forum expressed their dissatisfaction with this response.

     

    -       Newlands Close – Tree problem

     

    The Forum was informed that the Township and Engagement Officer had visited the resident and that the problem was a private / Rochdale  ...  view the full minutes text for item 127.

128.

Apologies for absences and approval of the minutes of the meeting held on 16 March 2017 pdf icon PDF 74 KB

    Minutes:

    Apologies had been received from Councillor Wazir, Neil & Sue Dixon and Erica Ward.

     

    The minutes of the Area Forum meeting held on Thursday 16th March 2017 were approved as a correct record subject to the following amendment:

     

    Minute 120 – ‘Streetscene’ should read ‘Streetwise’.

129.

Matters arising from those minutes not listed as agenda items

130.

Members/Ward Funds 2017/2018 and projects supported during 2016/2017 pdf icon PDF 12 KB

131.

Councillors' News

    Minutes:

    Ward Councillors informed the Forum of the following issues:

     

    1.     GMP did not attend the last Township Committee meeting.

    2.     Public Realm Inspectors (PRI) and Town Centre Wardens have now been recruited by the Council. It is hoped that the PRI for Healey Ward will attend future area forum meetings.

    3.     Fourteen new businesses have recently been established.

    4.     The new development within the Town Centre will cause disruption.

    5.     The work in the Town Centre (planters / paving / traffic control measures) around Yorkshire Street / Baillie Street is looking good.

    6.     The old Santander building in the Town Centre has been bought by the Council.

    7.     Major road works on Yorkshire Street / Halifax Road are due to commence w/c 31st July and is likely to cause disruption.

    8.     The recent Town Hall bid for heritage funding was unsuccessful, however a new revised bid will be submitted in the near future.

    9.     A number of new developments within the Town Centre were discussed – restaurants / public houses.

     

    In response to a question it was confirmed that discussions are still taking place regards introducing a regular river cleaning schedule.

132.

Good News from people in the area and Syke Community Base

    Minutes:

    The Forum was informed that:

     

    1.     The recent events at Syke Base – ‘Afternoon Tea’, ‘Lunchtime soup and rolls’, ‘Barbeque’ were all successful. A strawberry tea event and auction will be held at the Base on 19th August and 21st September 2017.

    2.     The kitchen at the Base is now complete.

    3.     Work is ongoing in attempts to identify funding streams for the Base

    4.     A bid to Viridor was successful and the funding will be used to improve the exterior of the building including the entrance.

    5.     Consideration was being given to securing funding for a Community Notice / Information Board to be placed near the Base.

     

    It was also reported that the Base had recently been broken into. Computers were taken and damage occurred. The individuals responsible for this had been identified.

133.

Date and time of the next meeting