Agenda and minutes

Venue: Syke Community Base, Syke Methodist Chapel, Syke Road, Rochdale. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

183.

Welcome, Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct

    Minutes:

    The Township and Engagement Officer welcomed all to the meeting. It was

    explained that the meeting would be in two parts; part one would be the Annual

    General Meeting which would see the election of the Area Forum Chair and Vice-

    Chair for the next twelve months. Part two would be the ordinary meeting

    concentrating on the PACT, Open Forum and updates on previous actions.

    The Forum was reminded about the Code of Conduct and asked to comply with the

    code throughout the meeting

     

184.

Appointment of Chair and Vice Chair

185.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting

    Minutes:

    PC Jones, PC Davis and PCSO Vohra attended the meeting for this item.

     

    The Forum was informed of the following:

     

    Burglary – this has become a problem in the Ward in recent months with New Street, Dewhirst Road and Shawclough Road experiencing repeat incidents. GMP are putting a significant amount of time and effort into trying to detain a suspect who is known to be a prolific offender. The Forum was reminded to be safety and security conscious over the coming months.

     

    Motor Vehicle Theft – Seven vehicle thefts have occurred over the past three months – three of which have been recovered. Forum members were reminded to keep vehicle keys away from front doors and out of site. Residents with keyless entry systems were encouraged to be extra vigilant.

     

    Off-Road Bikes – Although GMP accepted that this issue is still ongoing the number of reports to 101 for the Healey Ward are not particularly high therefore it is difficult to justify deploying a specialist team to deal with this issue.

     

    Residents informed the Officers that this is a regular occurrence in the area. Syke Common being identified as particularly problematical.

     

    It was accepted that this may be the case, however unless reported the deployment of resources will not happen. As a consequence residents were encouraged to report incidents of this nature to 101.

     

    Drug Dealing – Forum members were informed that no reports of drug dealing had been received relating to the Syke area for the last three months. It was understood that this issue is raised regularly at the Forum which has resulted in the local PCSO spending more time patrolling the area. However as previously stated unless incidents are reported via 101 it is extremely difficult to justify allocating resources.

     

    Speeding – Two targeted traffic operations where recently undertaken in the area with a number of drivers being issued with fixed penalty notices (FPN) for a range of offences, including no seatbelts and the use of a mobile phone whilst driving. Although a number of drivers where stopped for speeding, they did not meet the threshold for an FPN and received verbal advice.

     

    The Forum was also advised that at a recent Council meeting the Chief Executive was requested to bring together a range of organisations and stakeholders to address the marked deterioration in the standard of driving that is witnessed on a daily basis across the Borough.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Residents raised the following issues:

     

    ·         Concerns were raised about the ineffectiveness of the 101 service.

     

    GMP are aware of the problems being experienced by residents attempting to access the 101 service and are looking at ways of improving this.

     

    The Forum was advised that GMP’s website now provides a live chat facility.

     

    ·         A resident raised concerns about the traffic chaos and general anti-social behaviour that occurs as a result of the bonfire celebrations that are held on the Common each year.

     

    It was accepted that problems have occurred in the past and that GMP Officers and local authority marshalls  ...  view the full minutes text for item 185.

186.

Open Forum - An opportunity for local residents to comment on issues in the Ward

    Minutes:

    Residents raised the following issues:

     

    1.    Bin – Shawclough Stores

     

    A resident commented that the above bin had been removed some time ago and had not been replaced.

     

    A Ward Councillor and the Township and Engagement Officer had been informed that all concrete bins in the Borough were to be removed and replaced with light weight plastic ones. The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this further.

     

    2.    Land to the rear of 8 Mill Nook

     

    A resident stated that the above land was overgrown and infested with vermin. The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this further.

     

    3.    Travellers on the Common

     

    It was commented that the injunction seems to be working as no travellers have been on the Common this year – well done to everyone.

     

    4.    Sale of white goods.

     

    It was reported that a business on Shawclough Road is putting white goods outside their premises. Concerns were raised about the safety of this, particularly during bad weather. This will be reported.

     

    5.    The alleyway between One Ash Close and Mountside Close / Whitworth Road.

     

    It was reported that the above is full of weeds although much of it is on private property. This will be reported.

     

    6.    Falinge Park Trees

     

    It was commented that two red arrows have been nailed to trees in Falinge Park. It was asked if the Council have a policy on this / if not should one be created? Similar damage had also occurred to a tree at Horse Carrs. This will be reported.

     

    7.    Syke Road Bus Stop (near to Church)

     

    It was asked if a shelter could be installed at the above bus stop. This request will be referred to Transport for Greater Manchester.

     

     

     

     

    8.    A resident asked for an update on the following projects;

     

    -       Mizzy Road Traffic Calming

     

    It is understood work will commence on this project in November 2018.

     

    -       Bentley Street Traffic Calming

     

    It is understood this project will commence in January 2019

     

    -       Shawclough Road Traffic Calming

     

    No update available

     

    -       Outcome of Whitworth Road Traffic Survey

     

    No update available

     

    -       Bus Stop Clearway – Falinge Road

     

    Highways have been instructed to proceed with the work

     

    -       Talbot Head Bollards

     

    No update available

     

    -       Fingerpost (Healey)

     

    It is understood this work will be completed soon.

     

    9.    Drainage Problems on the Common (Greenbank Road)

     

    A resident asked if the above could be revisited. Environmental Management will be contacted.

     

    10.Whitworth Road Signage

     

    It was asked if signage could be improved when approaching the mini roundabout at the Whitworth Road / Mizzy Road / Fieldhouse Road. This will be referred to Highways.

     

    11.Bin Collection

     

    Prior to the meeting a resident raised the issue of her brown bin being used by refuse collectors to empty brown caddies into. In addition she is concerned that emptied bins are left scattered along the footpath and not returned within a reasonable distance from where they have been collected from. This has been referred to Environmental Management.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 186.

187.

Ward/Members Funds

    Minutes:

    The Forum was informed that £4843 remained in Ward Funds for 2018/19. Financial support from Ward funds had been given to:

     

    -       Cronkeyshaw Common bollards and dropped kerb - £1463

    -       Cronkeyshaw Common footpath - £1694

     

    Ward Councillors have supported the following projects / initiatives:

     

    Councillor Heakin

     

    -       Cronkeyshaw Common Christmas Tree Lights - £270

    -       Healey Finger Post Sign - £178

     

    £1554 remains in Councillor Heakin’s Members Fund

     

    Councillor O’Neill

     

    -       Cronkeyshaw Common Christmas Tree Lights - £750

    -       Healey Finger Post Sign - £1250

     

    All Councillor O’Neill’s Members Funds have been committed.

     

    Councillor Wazir

     

    -       Cronkeyshaw Common Christmas Tree Lights £750

     

    £1250 remains in Councillor Wazir’s Members Funds.

     

     

188.

Updates on issues raised at previous meetings

    Minutes:

    No updates where provided in connection with items on the action sheet. However it was agreed that the following actions could be removed from the sheet.

     

    Action 1 – Introduction of no parking signs on the Common.

     

    Action 5 – Two signs on Mizzy Road are missing from their posts. Therefore the signs need replacing or the posts need removing.

     

    Councillor O’Neill also agreed to pursue Action 3 - .Parking problems adjacent and opposite Syke Methodist Church.

189.

Approval of the minutes of the meetings held on 7 June 2018, 16 August 2018 and 13 September 2018 pdf icon PDF 1 MB

190.

Matters arising from those minutes not listed as agenda items

    Minutes:

    Minutes - 16 August 2018

     

    It was explained that the Syke Pond Project Plan referred to in the above minutes had been produced as promised and had been made available to the Forum.

     

    In general the plan was received positively although concerns were raised about adequate funding being available for the project and the quality control mechanisms in place to monitor the project going forward.

     

    Residents asked if more detailed information could be provided on the plan as soon as possible. It was suggested that a future meeting of The Common and Pond Working Group could be used as a platform for this. The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this further.

     

    Minutes – 13 September 2018

     

    The Forum was informed that the first meeting of The Common and Pond Working Group would be held on Tuesday 20 November 2018 – 11.30am until 1pm at Syke Community Base.

     

    Site walkabout dates are – Tuesday 20 November 2018, Thursday 7 February 2019, Tuesday 14 May 2019 and Tuesday 20 August 2019. All will commence at 10am and finish by 11.30am.

     

     

191.

Councillors' News

    Minutes:

    Ward Councillors informed the Forum of the following issues:

     

    1.    Arrangements are being made for the Christmas Tree lights to be switched on by the Deputy Mayor.

     

    It was commented that an event around the tree was being planned for the 20 December, therefore the lights switch on would need to be before this date.

     

    2.    Road improvements on Dell Road have now been completed.

     

    3.    Travellers arrived on the Common recently, however they were quickly removed – the injunction is clearly working.

     

    4.    Positive feedback has been received from the Feel Good and Literature Festivals.

     

    5.    Town Centre regeneration is progressing and will hopefully have a positive impact on the economy.

     

    6.    The Council is looking at options for the indoor market due to the organisation who had the contract to develop the site failing in its obligations.

     

    7.    A positive reaction has been received following the upgrading of the path that runs across the Common from Cronkeyshaw Road to Heights Lane.

     

    8.    It has been suggested that the Healey Ward Polling District be realigned to include properties at the top of Heights Lane and Alicia Cottages.

     

    9.    A funding request for an additional bin at Healey Tea Rooms has been received.

     

     

192.

Good News from people in the area and Syke Community Base

    Minutes:

    The Forum was informed that Syke Base operates an Art Group which is well attended. It was also reported that the tutor of the art group had sadly died.

     

    Concerns were also raised about the lack of publicity about the Forum on the Council’s social media accounts.

193.

Date and time of the next meetings