Agenda and minutes

Venue: Belfield Community Primary School, Samson Street, Rochdale OL16 2XW. View directions

Contact: Katie Moore - Tel No. 01706 924770 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

    Minutes:

    Katie Moore introduced herself to the forum and thanked everyone for attending.

    Members of the forum were asked if anyone would like to chair the Kingsway Area Forum in the absence of Sharon Taylor.  No nominations were received.  Katie Moore chaired the meeting as agreed by members of the forum.

    Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out to the forum and residents were informed that there was a more detailed copy on the back of the meeting agenda.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

Minutes from the last meeting/updates pdf icon PDF 70 KB

    Minutes:

    Robbie’s Common
    Katherine Metcalfe from the Youth Service offered to continue the clean-up and carry out a litter pick with the young people on a Saturday.

    Charlotte Street/Oldham Road Land
    Katherine Metcalfe informed the forum that the Youth Offending Team has been involved in some work in this area.

    Prince Street
    Prince Street is on the patrol plan for ASB.  The Youth Service Detachment Team is also working in the area.

    Crawford Street Grass Verges Removal & Waste Bins
    Townships have commissioned tarmacking of the grass verges around the Crawford Arms.  The contractor is currently working to finish HIP schemes prior to the end of March 2014, and given the Easter period it is hoped they will be on site late April 2014.  The bins are a separate issue, as they have revenue implications for Council services, however, consideration will be given to the possibility of additional bins in the next financial year if there is still a problem with litter following the tarmacking of this area.  The tarmacking has been funded via Members and Ward Funds at a cost of £5,600.

    Kingsway/Queensway/Oldham Road Junction
    Action 5 (Contact TfGM - Mark Sutcliffe) from the last meeting was carried forward as no updates could be provided.  Residents reported traffic problems on the corner of Edinburgh/Queensway at the traffic lights.

    Fly Tipping on Witley Road
    Environmental Management confirmed that the land which is Council owned has been litter picked.  The fly tipping reported was raised with the Guinness Trust.  A resident said that they had done a beautiful job in tidying it.

    Belfield Lane Grit Bin
    The forum was asked whether anyone had identified any un-used and/or damaged grit bins for relocation.  No bins were put forward.  It was agreed to check if the grit bin at Belfield Lane had been removed.
    Action 1: Check status of grit bin at Belfield Lane (Andy Dawson)

3.

Greater Manchester Police and Community Safety

    Minutes:

    PC Brendan Walsh was welcomed to the forum.

    PC Walsh provided the latest crime figures for the area.  Burglary dwelling has decreased which is a positive result.  Arrests have been made which is thought to have helped.  They are aware of one person that is due to be released from prison who is known for burglary.  The forum was assured that this will be monitored.

    In relation to vehicle theft, the forum was advised to keep vehicles locked and valuables out of sight.  Any suspicious activity should be reported to the police.  Burglary is being treated as a top priority by the police.

    PC Walsh informed the forum of the latest results of an ongoing burglary operation being conducted.  The police are currently looking for a male wanted for burglary across the whole country.  It is believed that he visits family in the area and drives a grey Golf.  If anyone has any information they are encouraged to contact 999.

    ASB: There is an issue with drinking at the canal side.  The police are stepping up patrols.  Patrols are also in the Newbold and Belfield area.

    A resident asked about a fire at Moss Street.  PC Walsh agreed to follow this up and bring details to the next meeting.
    Action 2: Provide information about the fire at Moss Street to next meeting (PC Walsh)

    Residents advised stone flags have been going missing at the back of Percy Street which is making it difficult to take the bins out.
    Action 3: Environmental Management to send a Land Registry search to try to establish ownership of the alleyway and Townships to make enquiries into an alley-gate scheme (Stephen Pyke and Andy Dawson).


    PC Walsh also advised of garden burglaries and encouraged people to be aware and keep equipment stored in a locked space.

4.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Litter and Highways report
    A resident reported litter opposite Newbold Islamic Centre.  The forum discussed the condition of the road in the area reporting potholes in Lower Place.  It was agreed to pass on the information to Environmental Management and Highways for inspection.
    Action 4: Report information to Environmental Management and Highways for inspection (Andy Dawson)

    Stiups Lane
    Residents reported potholes in the alleyway off Stiups Lane opposite Kingsway clinic.
    Action 5: Report potholes to Highways (Andy Dawson)

    Weston Avenue
    Environmental Management confirmed that they had visited the area a few weeks ago, however, will conduct another site visit to look at the residents’ concerns.
    Action 6: Environmental Management to conduct site visit at Weston Avenue (Stephen Pyke)

    Street Lighting
    A resident advised that the new street lighting had gone up on Belfield Lane, however, since it has been installed (6 January 2014) it has not been on.
    Action 7: Report issue to Street Lighting Service (Andy Dawson)

    Learning Disability Services
    The forum discussed the relocation of some of the Learning Disability Services to a smaller unit behind Morrison’s.  They wondered whether this was for financial reasons and how effective this will be.
    Action 8: Provide an update/reasoning on the moving of services (Andy Dawson)

5.

Ward News

    Minutes:

    Youth Services
    Katherine Metcalfe (Youth Service) provided an update on current youth provision and activities.

     

    Day

    Area

    Time

    Monday

    Open Access (Moss Street)

    18:00 - 21:00

    Tuesday

    Youth Forum (Moss Street)

    18:00 - 21:00

    Wednesday

    Open Access (Moss Street)

    18:00 – 21:00

    Wednesday

    Youth Bus Session (Turf Hill Road, Kingsway School)

    14.30 - 16.30

    Saturday

    Open Access Junior (Moss St)

    12:00 - 15:00

    Tuesday

    Open Access (Kirkholt)

    18:00 - 21:00

    Friday

    Sports Open Access (Kingsway)

    17:45 - 20:45


    Youth Services took local young people on a half term trip to Sand Castle in Blackpool.  This activity was well received as some of the young people had never left the area.  Funding has been secured for a summer programme.

    They are involved in a scheme with the Youth Offending Service who have bought some plants to create an incredible edible patch.

    International Women’s Day was on 8 March 2014.  Events were held at the Sports Centre.  The events were well attended and included young people from the Kingsway Ward.

    Robbie’s Common
    Councillor Ali provided an update before the meeting to inform the forum that a feasibility study is currently being undertaken by Environmental Management to look at the future use of Robbie’s Common.

    Kingsway Business Park – an update provided by Damian Evans
    The Hornet pub/restaurant opened on Monday 10 March 2014 serving food and drink to customers.  The pub/restaurant has approximately 40 staff, most of whom are local residents.

    In recent weeks there have been a number of updates for both Ward Members and local people as the existing Masterplan – which is the plan of how the site will be developed – is being changed.  This will lead to a planning application being submitted in April 2014.  During the consultation events a number of concerns shared by local residents were recorded and these will be addressed over the next few weeks, where possible.

    In response to criticism in the media, JD Sports have recruited a new HR Director and they have begun to implement a new HR plan to invest in and develop their staff.  The plan includes transferring staff onto JD Sports contracts, providing better inductions and paying for training and development, as well as giving staff the flexibility to work the hours they choose.

    There is around 2,000 staff on the Kingsway site and over 70% are Rochdale Borough residents.  This number fluctuates as there are seasonal peaks around Christmas.

    The total investment so far on Kingsway is £200m.

6.

Community First - Information/Update

    Minutes:

    At a meeting in early March 2014, six applications were approved for this year’s funding and these projects will be forwarded on to the Community Development Foundation for them to process.  The next, and final, round of funding starts in April 2014.  Grants are available for any community group with a bank account and constitution to apply for – grants from £500 to £2,500 for any activities that meet the community priorities:

     

    ·           Clean - Work with local people to achieve a high standard of cleanliness in our area.

    ·           Green - Develop community projects to increase and improve our green spaces.

    ·           Communities - Increase pride by developing a sense of belonging, and positive shared identity with our area.

    ·           Engagement - Encourage residents and community groups to get involved in projects to meet local needs.

    ·           Aims - To work together to make Kingsway a great place to live, work and play

     

    This is the last round of funding and there is about £15,000 to be allocated by Christmas so anyone who has a group, or knows a group that may be interested, please contact the Community First via Damian Evans at RDA (d.evans@investinrochdale.co.uk).

     

7.

Date and time of the next meeting

    Minutes:

    Thursday 26 June 2014 at 6.30pm
    Moss Street Youth Centre, Moss Street, Rochdale