Agenda and minutes

Venue: Moss Street Youth Centre, Moss Street, Rochdale. View directions

Contact: Katie Moore - Tel No. 01706 924770 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

    Minutes:

    In the absence of a chair person, it was agreed for Martin Topham to chair the meeting.  Members of the forum agreed for Martin to be the permanent chair person for the forum.

    The chair introduced himself to the forum and thanked everyone for attending. Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out. All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

Minutes from the last meeting/updates pdf icon PDF 79 KB

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the last meeting were agreed as a true and accurate record.

    Milnrow Road Waiting Restrictions
    Ward Councillors are meeting Highways to progress this scheme ASAP.

    Method of resurfacing/double yellow lines at Rosefield Crescent and Bertha Road
    A briefing note was distributed in the meeting explaining material used for road resurfacing.  It was confirmed measurements of the double yellow lines at Rosefield Crescent are correct according to the Traffic Regulation Order.  An extension would need to be applied for and cost between £3,500 and £4,000 and there would also be a cost for lining.  Residents advised that existing lines on Milnrow Road needs repainting.
    Action: Request repaint of yellow lines on Milnrow Road.

    Crawford Street Fencing
    Funding has been supported for a new fence at Crawford Street/Canal. Discussions are underway regarding the requirements for a gate.

    Fly-tipping
    An Enforcement Officer visited the area the next day after the forum and actioned the fly-tipping to be removed from the areas reported.

    A mattress was reported in the alleyway behind Moss Street, litter around the local mosque and fly-tipping between Rosefield Crescent and Belfield Lane.
    Action: Report to Enforcement Team.

    CCTV footage
    Arrangements are being made between the Enforcement Officer and resident to collect footage.

    Contact Great Place and Guinness Trust to invite them to the next meeting
    Both organisations were invited to attend the meeting. J.Syddall from the Guinness Partnership was in attendance at the meeting.  Resident raised issues relating to land owned specifically by Guinness Trust.

    Intervention work at Moss Street
    Youth work is ongoing in the area.  Two groups have been identified where there has been some previous conflict.  Homes of those involved have been visited with the support of GMP.  The groups are engaging with Youth Services.

    Speeding vehicles on Crawford Street
    Petition sent to Highways and Ward Councillors.  Discussions are ongoing with the hope of providing a solution.

    Lamppost at Lock 49
    Lampposts have been reported to be fixed.

    Contact Highways Enforcement to check the law concerning sale of vehicles from the highway
    From a Trading Standards perspective there are no particular issues with selling vehicles from the roadside unless those responsible are ‘traders’ who are selling unsafe or misdescribed vehicles.  However, there are issues that other services may be interested in:

    - planning permission (Planning Enforcement Team);

    - obstruction of the highway (Highways / Police);

    - benefit claimants (Revenues & Benefits).

    The rules are set out in Section 3 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.  An offence is committed if a person advertises for sale on a road or roads two or more motor vehicles parked within 500 metres of each other.  So if a single vehicle is advertised for sale on the road no offence is committed. If the same person advertises two or more cars for sale on the road within 500 metres of each other he/she is committing an offence.  The difficulty we come across is proving that there is a common seller – if the same sorts of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Greater Manchester Police - PACT meeting

    Minutes:

    PC Horton introduced himself as the new Neighbourhood Constable for the ward.

    Figures over the last three months
    Burglary - Increased. areas reported include Belfield Lane, Oldham Road and Woodbine Street. PC Horton advised of Operation Dark Nights providing advice and safety resources/equipment to assist in keeping properties safe. Window alarms were distributed. Resident were invited to contact Katie should further alarms be needed.
    Street crime and robbery - low levels recorded.
    Vehicle Crime - reduced. There were 6 thefts from vehicles.

    Residents reported ongoing problems with bricks being thrown from Newbold Tram Stop damaging neighbouring properties. PC Horton advised that he had been liaising with TfGM on this matter and would provide an update at the next forum.  One item suggested was for better fencing.  Since the area forum a Metrolink maintainer (MPT), has carried out a site visit to assess potential infrastructure changes that may help.  CCTV presence was also suggested.

    For safety reasons, the police highlighted that they can only police the platform, not the track area.  Residents advised that they had contacted Metro about their concerns but have had no response.
    Action 1: PC Horton to pass resident details to Metro contact (GMP)

    Fewer calls are being received about Locks 49/50. It was reported that there does not seem to be as many people hanging around and alcohol is being confiscated.

    Wellfield Health Surgery is a priority for the police as there are ASB concerns.

    Residents enquired into a car that ran into a house off Belfield Lane. This matter was a genuine accident and no action is being taken.

4.

Peel Energy/Scout Moor Wind Farm Proposals

    Minutes:

    A representative from Peel Energy Ltd attended to give details of the proposed expansion to Scout Moor Wind Farm.  After giving some of the background around the business of Peel Holdings, he explained that the original expansion was to consist of an additional 26 turbines and that this would have been decided at a national level. Following consultation the plans now consist of an additional 16 turbines of up to 115m high, and this plan will be decided by both Rochdale and Rossendale Councils.  Further details can be obtained on the website http://www.scoutmoorwindfarm.co.uk/.

5.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Parking on pavements
    Residents reported parking of cars on the pavement at Milnrow Road.  Local authorities (in England) can make an order prohibiting parking on the pavement.  If this is the case, then there will be signs which clearly point out on a particular road where parking on the pavement is specifically prohibited.  The penalty for contravening this will be a fixed penalty notice.  Otherwise, parking a vehicle on the pavement could lead to an offence of obstruction being committed.  This offence could result in a fixed penalty notice being issued to offending vehicles.  It can also cause danger/nuisance for pedestrians and wheelchairs users.  For more information please refer to www.askthe.police.uk

    Leach Street fly-tipping and anti social behaviour
    Ongoing problems of fly-tipping (items include mattresses and beds) and lack of grass cutting was reported at Leach Street.  Bollards have also been removed at the end of Leach Street.  Councillor Daalat Ali requested details on land ownership of the recreational ground at Leach Street.  Residents have had problems will people burning out cars and it is causing a lot of stress on the street.  It was asked about installing CCTV.
    Action 2: Provide details of land ownership to Ward Councillors (Katie Moore)
    Action 3: Enquire about the installation of CCTV at Leach Street (Katie Moore)

    Surplus bins
    There appears to be a lot of surplus bins around Bilberry Street and Stamford Street.

    Action 4: Report to Environmental Management (Katie Moore)

    Newbold Street Lighting
    Ward Councillors requested costings for new street light at Newbold Street.
    Action 5: Chase up costing from Eon for new street lighting column (Katie Moore)

    Iceland on Kingsway Retail Park
    It was enquired whether Iceland would be having a unit at the retail park.  According to information by Mason Owen, Iceland have acquired Unit 5, Kingsway Retail Park, Rochdale.  The 10,500 sq. ft. unit is to open in February 2015.  For further details please see: http://www.masonowen.com/home/latest-news.aspx

    Morrison’s/Witley Road Lighting Column
    A new lighting column was requested between Morrison’s and Witley Road near to the former housing office.
    Action 6: Request costings for new lighting column (Katie Moore)

    Give Way Signs
    Discussions were had about Give Way signs for Belfield Lane and Croxton Avenue.  It was agreed that this needs to be looked at with the Highways Section.
    Action 7: Contact Highways Section (Katie Moore)

6.

Ward News

    Minutes:

    Following the Autumn in-take of staff by JD Sports in September, in preparation for their busy Christmas trading period, job numbers have increased on site to around 3,000.  JD have been undertaking a working practices improvement programme which involves transferring staff from Agency contracts onto JD Sports contracts and aim to have 80% of their staff on these contracts by the end of the year.

    Discussions continue to deliver a new unit on Plot H – near the motorway – and it is hoped that work will commence on this in the spring.

    The David Wilson Homes continue to sell well with around 85 houses now occupied and a further 10 reservations

    The third annual Kingsway Run took place on Sunday 21 September 2014 and was another success with the weather holding out and good attendance both for the competitive 5k and 10k races, and the children’s race.

    Community First
    The fourth and final year of the Community First fund was launched in April and a number of applications were received, including some that had been deferred from last year.  All the grant allocated to Kingsway ward was approved to a number of projects including a Youth Service project to run trips for disadvantaged children; a project at Harelands House to provide a garden area; a Guinness Trust project to address isolation in the community; a filming project for young people; and a couple of elderly luncheon club projects.

    Over the 4 years, this small group of volunteers who sat on the panel, a number of whom are usually in attendance at the Forum (Sharon Taylor, Mary Price, Emma King, John Rochelle, Doreen Morton and Amin Janua), who all gave up their own time to assist with the project, managed to approve grants totalling almost £50,000.  This brought in volunteer time and other funding of over £120,000 – meaning the total spend in the Kingsway Ward was almost £167,000.

7.

Date and time of the next meeting

    Minutes:

    Thursday 5 March 2015 at 6.30pm
    Venue: Moss Street Youth Centre, Moss Street