Agenda and minutes

Venue: Moss Street Youth Centre, Moss Street, Rochdale. View directions

Contact: Katie Moore - Tel. 01706 924770 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

    Minutes:

    The chair introduced himself to the forum and thanked everyone for attending. Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out. All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

    Apologies were received from Councillors Ali and Brosnan, E.King and Environmental Management.

2.

Minutes from the last meeting/updates pdf icon PDF 70 KB

    Minutes:

    Minutes of the meeting held on 5 March 2015 be approved as a correct record subject to the following two amendments - removal of Rosefield Crescent re: Fly-tipping and to add healthy and safety concerns to Rosefield Crescent Double Yellow Line Extension).

    Traffic Warden Presence- Bertha Road/Rosefield Crescent and Milnrow Road
    This issue was reported to Highways who advised that the areas were put onto the traffic enforcement’s hotspot list.

    New Street Sign Moss Street
    Highways advised the street sign had been replaced earlier in the year and is currently on the list for cleaning.

    Speed Restriction Sign - Junction of Witley Road/Milnrow Road
    A resident at the forum advised that the sign is now pointing in the correct direction.

    Newbold Tram Stop
    An update was provided by PC Walsh. Please refer to Greater Manchester Police agenda item.

    Street lighting
    Feedback collected from the last forum was provided to Eon. A response from Eon was received:

    1.      The signs are not cleaned they are just transferred.

    2.      Rosefield Crescent - Works on Rosefield Crescent are not yet complete as still waiting for the designs to come back.

    3.      Issues have been reported regarding site conditions at Woodbine Street, Moss Street and Margaret Avenue. These areas have all been dealt with and closed.

     

    No entry sign- junction of Milnrow Road/Pine Street
    Response from PCSO Bird - This is difficult to manage as those going the wrong way have to be caught doing it. There are a limited number of Traffic Officers who are covering the entire force. Agreed to try and keep an eye out in the area.

    Leach Street
    The Clean and Green Team completed a clean-up of the site reported.

3.

Greater Manchester Police - PACT meeting

    Minutes:

    Crime
    (Taken for past 3 months compared to last year)

    Burglary dwelling: 28 (areas include Sandfield and Newbold. Some of the incidents have occurred due to insecure properties. Residents are reminded to lock doors and keep windows closed when unoccupied).

    Burglary other (business premises): 11
    Robbery: 5
    Theft from motor vehicles: 63
    Criminal Damage: 99
    ASB: 161

    Overall, there has been a significant increase in the last three categories. Residents are encouraged to contact 101 or 999 on emergency if they see anything suspicious or have any information. Reporting of crimes can be done anonymously.

    In response to theft from motor vehicles officers will be looking to run some safe plate sessions and these will be advertised in due course.

    The police are working hard to address the crimes reported for example; property was recovered from a street robbery in the town centre. Overall, intelligence from the public is key in helping the police tackling crime.

    It was reported there has been a massive increase in groups of young people in the area involved in anti-social behaviour. One area in particular having problems with youth nuisance is around the Newbold Tram Stop. The police, in conjunction with partner agencies and Metro, have put measures in place to address the problems. A dedicated team has been established and they treat the area as a hot spot with plain clothes operations taking place. Members of the group causing nuisance have been identified and intervention work has been carried out by the police. Extra CCTV has been installed.

    PC Walsh advised of a street robbery that had occurred at the tram stop and he confirmed the offenders were charged. A resident raised their concerns about it being dark when you walk from the stop towards Witley Road. Katie explained that this issue had been raised before and is not Council land. The area where lights had been previously requested is unadopted.  The resident highlighted that there is lighting at the end of Witley Road near to the former Housing Offices however it is not always on at night.
    Action 1: Enquire into ownership of lighting and land owners (Katie Moore)

    Street drinking particular around Locks 49/50 was discussed. It was advised that Dispersal Orders will be put in place.

    A discussion was held about drug dealing in the area. PC Walsh assured residents that they do try and patrol and explained the warrants process. A resident reported drug dealing at Waithlands Road (near to the canal). PC Walsh advised that he would try and arrange a patrol in the area.

    The PACT meetings were discussed and agreed that an update would be provided at the next meeting. PACT priorities for the ward are:

    1.      Criminal damage and ASB

    2.      Theft from motor vehicles

    3.      Drug dealing

4.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Waithlands Road Trees
    A discussion was held about the trees on Waithlands Road being overgrown and restricting light in the area. It was also felt that the situation has caused a rat problem. The meeting was advised that an officer had been to look at the trees and agreed work needed to be carried out. Councillor Ahmed requested Environmental Management be contacted to check what position the job is on the waiting list.
    Action 2: Contact Environmental Management (Katie Moore)

    Flytipping
    A report was received of a couch that had been left at the Kingsway Bridge (Waithlands Road area near to Gordon Riggs). This issue prompted a discussion about the Council’s Bulky Waste Scheme where residents are able to request collection of bulky waste (costs vary depending on items). Tipping was also reported at the Crawford Street Car Park. Since the meeting a request was made for the removal of items left on McNaught Street.
    Action 3: Request Environmental Management to remove the couch (Katie Moore)

    Rosefield Crescent Double Yellow Lines
    Following on from the last meeting, residents stressed their concerns about Rosefield Crescent and the health and safety issues they feel are caused by not extending the double yellow lines at the corners of Rosefield Crescent and Bertha Road. The residents felt that by vehicles parking on the corners it is creating blind spots when turning on and off Milnrow Road. Katie advised that this issue had been raised with Highways and by extending the yellow lines; it could displace parking further down Rosefield Crescent to the possible annoyance of residents.
    Action 4: Scheme to be discussed with Ward Councillors (Katie Moore)

5.

Ward News

    Minutes:

    The latest development on Kingsway is a new building for a local company called WCCTV who started on site last week and should be finished by Christmas. It is a new facility being built in front of the CR Laurence Unit. This company currently has around 35 employees and are hoping to recruit over the next few years as they expand into the 12,000 square foot unit.

    A planning application was approved in March for a further 63 houses to be built next to the existing housing on site. This development will include some 1 and 2 bedroomed houses which will provide the area with a range of 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroomed houses to cover all requirements. These houses should have a starting price of approximately £100k for the 1 bedroomed house.  The developers should be on site early next year.

    The Kingsway Area Forum Sub Group was discussed with new appointments made for 2015/16. The new sub group was agreed as follows: M.Topham, S.Curzon, E.Curzon, D.Wilkinson, Councillor S.Ahmed, Councillor D.Ali and Councillor L.Brosnan.

    The forum was informed about the upcoming Equalities Listening Event which is due to take place on Tuesday 16 June 2015 at Middleton Arena from 9.15am.

6.

Date and time of the next meeting

    Minutes:

    Thursday 3 September 2015 at 6.30pm
    Moss Street Youth Centre, Moss Street, Rochdale