Venue: Sparth Community Centre, Norman Road, Rochdale OL11 4HS
Contact: Anthony Jackson - Tel: 01706 925217
All were welcomed to the meeting and introductions took place. The Chair referred to the code of conduct and asked all to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.
The minutes of the last meeting were approved as a correct record.
Matters arising from previous minutes
Councillor Linden updated the forum of the recent fire on
Corporation Road and expressed his views on how well the emergency
services dealt with the issue. All
Action 1: Raise with Highways the need for enforcement in the area (Anthony Jackson)
Greater Manchester Police - PACT meeting
Latest crime figures from 1 July 2015:
• Burglary Domestic – 9
• Burglary Other (shops and businesses) – 11 (ram raids)
• Theft from motor vehicles - 6 (3 number plates)
• Theft of motor vehicles - 2
• Criminal damage – 2 (cost of £5K)
has been an increase of domestic burglary in the ward. Most
properties were ground floor dwellings which occurred between 4-5am
in the morning. Extra patrols have been appointed to the area. The
last reported domestic burglary was 11 August 2015. All have now
· Section 106 monies relating to the new Aldi - the Leader wants the monies to be spent on public realm work in the town centre. The three Ward Councillors will be meeting with the Leader to express their disappointment with this proposal. The value of the Section 106 monies available from Aldi is £67,000.
· Canopy at Sparth Community Centre – Nick Barton (Principal Project Manager, Planning) is leading on this. Update required for next meeting.
Action 2: Update to be obtained from Nick Barton for
the next area forum (Anthony Jackson)
· Townhead Road improvement works are due to be completed in January 2016. The work has been delayed due to a drain, but the council are working with the gas board on this matter. Work can only be carried out when there are low levels of traffic.
· Working on the exclusion of a student from the 6th Form college.
· Praise was given to all services involved in dealing with the recent accident of the double decker bus hitting the railway bridge in Milkstone and Deeplish ward. These services managed to get the train service back in action after 3 hours.
· Councillor Linden has secured funding from the Rochdale Township Action and Resources Committee for a road safety scheme in Milkstone and Deeplish ward. Twenty children have been injured in road traffic accidents over the past three years and not one accident was the driver’s fault. The scheme involves educating children and parents on road safety, leaflets/banners with road safety messages and working with schools to educate the importance of road safety.
· A planning application has come into the council for a drive through fast food outlet on the central retail park. If the application is approved, the entrance on Station Road would be closed. Residents asked that clean and green be made a priority in this area if the application is granted.
· EON Street Lighting Contract is now in its fourth year. Councillor Linden informed the forum that the council has had problems with the replacement of signage and bins on new lamp columns. Cabinet asked that the Council’s Chief Executive, Steve Rumbelow, meet with the new manager at EON to address these issues. This meeting has since happened and the council and EON are now working together to reinstate the bins and signage to the new columns. This is a borough wide problem and could take some time. GMP asked if the Home Watch signs would go back on the new lampposts in the areas where the schemes are run. Councillor Linden confirmed they would.
Questions – Open Forum
1. Can businesses be made to clean up their premises and put up a fence to hide unsightly yards?
(Chair) suggests setting up an Environment Sub Group for the
Sparth Area forum.
Any Other Business
Kenny handed out leaflets to the forum explaining new refuse collections in the Borough of Rochdale and the introduction of the new kitchen recycling caddies. For more information visit the council’s web site www.rochdale.gov.uk/recycling.
Date and time of the next meeting
Wednesday 9 December 2015 at 6.30pm