Agenda and minutes

Venue: Spotland Methodist Church, Rooley Moor Road, Rochdale OL12 7ES. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

102.

Welcome, Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

    Minutes:

    The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and requested that the Forum respect the Code of Conduct for the duration of the meeting.

     

    Apologies had been received from J. Molyneux, B. Penty, C. Dodgson, M. Rashid, Jason Addy, N. Morrell, A. Meek and T. LeMonnier.

     

103.

Locality Plan

    Minutes:

    Phil Burton (Engagement Lead NHS Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale Clinical Commissioning Group) attended the meeting for this item.

     

     

    The Forum was informed that the Health and Social Care Budget was devolved to Greater Manchester in April 2016. As a result The Greater Manchester Health and Social Care Partnership was set up to oversee the devolution of Health and Social Care. To support this process a Transformation Fund of £450 million was provided until 2020/21 to transform the health and social care system and make it sustainable.

     

    In order to achieve this vision a number of significant challenges have to be overcome:

     

    -       The health and social care system can be complex to navigate which can lead to fragmented care gaps and duplication.

     

    -       A complex system means that it is difficult for both service users and professionals to know where in the system needs can be best met.

     

    -       A complex system wastes time and resources for all parties.

     

    From a Rochdale perspective the above challenges are further compounded because:

     

    -       The health of many in the borough is worse than the national average. Rates of smoking, obesity and many long term conditions are high.

     

    -       Behaviour change is needed to prevent ill health and help local people get healthier.

     

    Therefore Rochdale’s approach will need to target resources in communities where there is the greatest need, prevent the start of unhealthy habits and long term conditions and reduce the impact of those conditions. Prevention activity across the borough will need to increase.

     

    From a Greater Manchester viewpoint the five transformational themes going forward are:

     

    -       Radical update in population health prevention.

     

    -       Transforming community based care and support.

     

    -       Standardising acute hospital care

     

    -       Standardising clinical support and back office services.

     

    -       Enabling better care.

     

    Rochdale’s locality plan themes will include:

    -       Prevention and access. – changing lifestyles / easy access to services.

     

    -       Neighbourhood and primary care – care as near to home as possible

     

    -       In hospital care – more patient involvement

     

    -       Carefully supporting children, young people and families

     

    -       No health without mental health.

     

    In simplistic terms it is hoped that the above will have a significant impact on health and social care across the borough and Greater Manchester.

     

    Residents raised the following issues.

     

    -       Timely GP appointments are difficult to arrange.

     

    This was accepted and understood. However steps have been taken to try and reduce this occurrence with GP’s surgery’s opening longer hours. Attempts are also being made to recruit more GP’s.

     

    -       Why are delays happening in the health care system

     

    Numerous reasons – people living longer, people use service for wrong reason and there is still wastage in the system. However there are intermediate tiers in place at the four locality hubs which is easing pressure on Accident and Emergency Departments (A&E) and GP’s are also present at A&E.

     

    -       Ashworth Surgery is good at getting appointments.

     

    It was accepted that some surgeries are good at this and others need to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 103.

104.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting

    Minutes:

    PC Phil Jones and PCSO Dan Smout attended the meeting for this item.

     

    The Forum was informed of the following issues:

     

    1.    Operation Dragster on Sunday 28th January seized two motor bikes and two Land Rovers and numerous warnings were given. Although much negative feedback had been received in relation to this operation on social media, GMP commented that a great deal of this feedback  was by the same people who appear to have an interest in off-road biking.

     

    PC Jones informed the Forum that a repeat operation would occur in the future.

     

    The Forum was very supportive of this exercise and welcomed the idea of a repeat exercise.

     

    2.    Meanwood School had been visited on two occasions at morning times to deter inconsiderate / dangerous parking / driving. More patrols will be undertaken in the future.

     

    3.    Safety / security concerns have been highlighted about Caldershaw Mill. This issue is ongoing.

     

    4.    Two successful surgeries have been held at Spotland Library. The next surgery is at Spotland Community Centre on Tuesday 13th March 2018, commencing 2.30pm.

     

    5.    Burglary still remains a problem across the borough. Forum members were encouraged to take simple precautions to help deter / prevent incidents of this nature.

     

    A persistent offender is currently in custody, however he is due out in the next two weeks.

     

    6.    Mosquito devices have been installed at Denehurst Park and Ravendale Court in response to complaints about anti-social behaviour. Consideration is currently being given to the fitting of CCTV on Phoenix Street.

     

    7.    Police patrols have been increased on Spotland Road and Falinge Park.

     

    The Chair thanked GMP for the work they undertake in the Ward. This was endorsed by the Forum.

105.

Minutes of last meeting/Matters arising/Updates pdf icon PDF 570 KB

    Minutes:

    Minutes of the Annual General Meeting and Ordinary Meeting held on Thursday 16th November 2017 were approved as a correct record. Updates with regards to the action requested at this meeting had been circulated prior to the meeting and are as follows:

     

    Action

    Update

    Rochdale Township Committee would be approached to see if they would support the re-establishment of the TBA Working Group

               

                .

               

                           

                .

     

    Mr M. Coats addressed the Township Committee seeking support and

    assistance in setting up a residents’ forum to consider issues with regard to

    the Former Turner Brothers site and to request that the Healey, Spotland and

    Falinge and Norden Area Forums be kept informed of matters relating to the

    site.

     

    The Chair advised that the Township welcomed active involvement in issues

    of local importance and encouraged the establishment of residents groups but

    that it would be for any group to establish its own terms of reference and invite

    relevant interested parties to attend.

     

    Mr Coats was advised that the Township would continue to keep members of

    the area forums updated on matters relating to the site

     

    (Extract taken from minutes of Rochdale Township Committee 16/12/17)

     

    The Forum requested that Nicola Rogers, Service Manager, attended the next meeting of the Area Forum to clarify some aspects of the responses given to the action points raised from the meeting on the 2nd October.        

    Not actioned for two reasons:

     

    1 Meeting starting early due to Locality Plan presentation included on the agenda for the meeting on the 8th February. Therefore because of time factors deemed inappropriate to invite Nicola.

     

    2 Residents who have queries over the responses given at the meeting on the 2nd October can contact Nicola direct – nicola.rogers@rochdale.gov.uk

               

    It was asked if fencing could be erected around the play area development on Ings Lane.

    A new estimate has been received for the additional fencing. Costs have risen from £62500 to £66143. Environmental Management are checking if Section 106 funds can cover the complete cost of this work

    A resident asked if the £3200 accumulated from the building contractor using part on Ings Lane as a site compound is available to  spend.

    Yes – but it must be spent on the land on Ings Lane.

    A resident asked if there had been any developments with the piece of land at the corner of Edenfield Road / Ings Lane

    Awaiting confirmation

     

    A resident asked if a new action sheet could be devised which accommodates all issues raised not just the ones at the previous meeting. The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to consider this.

106.

Members/Ward Funds

    Minutes:

    The Chair informed the Forum that the Area Forum Sub Group met on the 30th January and supported the following funding applications:

     

    1.    Spotland Primary School – Sensory Garden – Awarded £1000. Applied for £3000.

     

    2.    Spotland Community Association – Welfare / Benefits Advice – Awarded £1000. Applied for £2000.

     

    3.    Environmental Management – Stumpery, Denehurst Park – Awarded £1000. Applied for £2420.

     

    4.    Residents – Traffic Surveys (Holmes Street / Wilbutts Lane) – Awarded £2500. Applied for £2500

     

    5.    Agreed to award ‘in-bloom’ project £500. In total £2500 has been awarded to in-bloom – specific projects will be notified as soon as possible.

     

    The above projects concluded the spending against Ward Funds for 2017/18.

     

    The Forum was also informed of the projects that Ward Councillors had supported from Members Funds during 2017/18:

     

    Councillor C. Biant

     

    Rochdale Sports Club - Cricket Clock - £499

    Making Memories Group - Fridge Freezer - £379.99

    Making Memories Group – Sound System - £243.97

    Movement & Memories - £480

    Greave Play Scheme 2018 - £397.04

     

    Councillor S. Biant

     

    Rooley Moor Neighbourhood Forum – Community Consultation Event - £937

    Making Memories Performance Company - £500

    Greave Play Scheme 2018 - £202.96

    Stoney Hill Environmental Improvements - £360.04

     

    Councillor W. Cocks

     

    Rooley Moor Neighbourhood Forum – Display Boards - £1000

    Denehurst Park Benches and Bins - £750

    Wonderwall at Rochdale AFC - £250

107.

Councillor Updates/News

    Minutes:

    The Chair informed the Forum that this would be Councillor Surinder Biant’s final Forum in his role as Ward Councillor. The Chair thanked Councillor Biant for his services to the Ward over many years and the money raised for local charities during his role as Mayor. This was endorsed by the Forum.

     

    The following updates were provided by the Ward Councillors.

     

    Councillor Cocks informed the Forum of the following:

     

    -       Involved in numerous in-bloom projects

     

    -       Recently been appointed Chair of the Health, Schools and Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee. The Ambulance Service have been invited to the next meeting of this Committee.

     

    -       A new manager is in place at Spotland Library.

     

    -       A meeting has been arranged with First Bus to discuss bus services in the Ward.

     

    -       Involved in proposals to make Rochdale an age friendly borough.

     

    -       Involved in work around private rented housing.

     

    -       There was nothing to report on the TBA site.

     

    Councillor Cecile Biant:

     

    -       Commented on the loss of the bus service at Catley Lane Head.

     

    -       Advised the Forum that work on Ashworth Street and Cutgate Road may commence in the next 4 weeks.

     

    -       Advised the Forum that the New House Bonus would cover the cost of the loss of Section 106 contributions from the Mellor Street development.

     

    Some residents expressed their dissatisfaction with the way in which the Council had dealt with the Section 106 variation on the Mellor Street development.

     

    The Forum was also advised, that due to changes in the way Section 106 contributions are managed, ideas for the future funding of projects from Section 106 contributions would need to identified at the planning application stage.

     

    It was also commented that Councillors should also arrange a meeting with Rosso Bus Services in addition to First Bus to discuss local provision.

     

     

     

108.

Open Forum - An opportunity for local residents to comment on issues in the ward

    Minutes:

    The Forum was informed that:

     

    The next Friends of Denehurst Park meeting will be held on Thursday 22nd February 2018 commencing 6.30pm at Spotland Library.

     

    The Big Clean Event will happen on Saturday 3rd March 2018. Projects are hoping to be planned in the Ward.

     

    A discussion took place about how to deal with the school fencing that was removed from Meanwood School many months ago and is currently stored at Environmental Management Depot at Green Lane. The Chair informed the Forum that considerable time and effort had been put in to identifying an appropriate site for the fencing without success. A major issue with the fencing is that it is spiked and the Council’s Health and Safety Team would not support the re-siting of the fencing in its present condition. The Forum was also reminded that a resident had planned to restore one section of the fencing, however it was unsure if this had happened. After debate the general view of the Forum was that the fencing should be scrapped. Because of the heritage value of the fencing The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to speak to the Council’s Conservation Officer to understand what would be the best way to dispose of the fencing.

     

    At a previous meeting of the Forum a resident asked if the Council owned the footpath opposite to Preston Street as it was in need of improving. The resident was informed that the Council did not own the land, however attempts would be made to identify the landowner.

     

    A resident commented that the footpath on Ings Lane was in poor condition and the area around the bins on Ings Lane was in need of attention.

     

    A resident also asked if the footpath close to Passmonds Garage was a public right of way. It was suggested that if it was the Community Payback Team could be asked to improve the area.

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate these issues further.

     

    The Forum was informed that Rooley Moor Neighbourhood Forum had recently been awarded just less that £10k from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Some of this money would be used to support additional signage in the area together with researching the history of the area. Rooley Moor Neighbourhood Forum can be accessed via the following link - www.rmnf.org.uk

     

    A resident asked if the future of open spaces in the Ward, for example Falinge Park, Ings Lane and Denehurst Park would continue to be accessible to the public. What safeguards are in place to protect this lands existing status.

     

    The Township and Engagement Officer would investigate this further.

109.

Date and time of next meeting