Agenda and minutes

Venue: Spodden (Room 410) - Number One Riverside. View directions

Contact: Katie Moore - Tel. 01706 924770 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions & Apologies

2.

Q Gardens Update

    Minutes:

    Following the last meeting, Katie provided a brief update regarding Q Gardens from RBH.

    The project has been operational for over 18 months and has been very successful in meeting the objectives. The site is now used at least twice a week for community education and wellbeing activities. All garden activities on the site are developed and delivered by the community participants, including prioritising the work programme.

    There have been concerns about the up keep of the wildlife area. In response RBH have said, “In terms of the wildflower area, this was inherited by the project and discussions have been held with RBC for options to improve the site. However, the community group are currently concentrating on the raised boxes and sections of the veg plots which have inherited poor soil condition, and this will be the priority for 2014. Subject to securing funding for 2015, the wildflower sites may be addressed next summer, but this will be dependent of the priorities of the community participants”.

3.

Rochdale Township Funding 2014/15

    Minutes:

    Kirkholt Youth Group - bid for £3,000
    Kat Metcalfe (Youth Service Worker) provided an overview of the youth provision that is available within Kirkholt. The application presented was to support Kirkholt Youth Group in organising a community event in recognition of World War One centenary celebrations as well as covering costs for a piece of drama work with M6 Theatre about Young People’s Lifestyles in 1914. A drama piece by the group will be showcased at the Literature Festival in October 2014. It was agreed that Kat would send an invite to the group members.  It was also suggested that the drama piece be recorded.  Kat agreed to look into this.

    Action: Send invite to group members and look into recording piece at the Literature Festival in October. (Kat Metcalfe)

    The young people also in attendance spoke about the session and how it is an opportunity for them to do something different away from where they lived.

    A question was asked around the estimate and transport. It was confirmed that this would be transport to the M6 Theatre for 10 weeks at £50 each.

    Kat and the two young people were thanked for their presentation.

    Punjab Cricket and Badminton Club - bid for £3,000
    Mr Tausef and Mr Musdaq presented their application which was to support the sporting activities provided by the Punjab Cricket and Badminton Club. They provided an overview of their club explaining the locations where they played (Badminton: Matthew Moss and Cricket:
    Walkden Cricket Club in the winter and travelling to different clubs in summer for the league) and how many attend. They explained that the majority of their members have physical and health problems such as diabetes. The cricket club is a well-established group and has been running for years, however, the badminton club started last year. Following the presentation Members asked questions to find out more about the club.

    After the two presentations, applicants were thanked and left the meeting to enable Members to consider each application.

    It was agreed to support the application made by the Kirkholt Youth Group with a contribution of £3,000. Members asked Katie to write to the group and thank the two young people for attending. In addition, Members asked for further information on what funding is provided to the Youth Service, whether other similar projects are taking place in the Township and whether there would be opportunities to expand the project outlined in the application.
    Action: Contact Kat Metcalfe to obtain requested information (Katie Moore)

    It was acknowledged that the Punjab Cricket and Badminton Club were delivering a good community sporting package. However, it was thought that the application does need to be amended with the support of Ward Councillors. Members said that they would like to invite the club to resubmit an application but only for the badminton club, as it was felt that they could not use local funding to support a project which runs outside of the borough. The group would also like further  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Date and time of next meeting