Agenda and minutes

Venue: St Mary's (Balderstone) Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale OL11 2HB. View directions

Contact: Anthony Jackson - Tel. 01706 925217 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

    Minutes:

    The chair introduced Anthony Jackson (Townships and Engagement Officer, Rochdale Council) to the forum and thanked everyone for attending.  Anthony has replaced Katie Moore and will be servicing the forum going forward.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police

    Minutes:

    Crime
    (taken for past 3 months compared to last year)

    Burglary - Up 11%

    Burglary Other - Remains the same

    Criminal Damage - Up 41%

    Vehicle Crime - Up 30%

    Anti-Social Behaviour - up by 5 incidents

    Operations and Initiatives

    ·           Rachel updated the forum on the Christmas event which the Neighbourhood PCSOs attended at St Thomas’ Church.  The PCSO engaged with the community, Constable Cub attended to entertain the children and take finger print keyrings and let them try on mini Police uniforms.  The presence was received well by the community.

    ·           16 PCSOs have now been trained to work on a new project called Strive.  Project Strive is a new initiative where victims of standard level domestic violence get a visit from a PCSO within 72 hours of the incident for a welfare check.  This project enables PCSOs to refer victims onto relevant agencies for further support.  Previously, only calls graded a medium or high risk received visits.

    ·           Key Worker Scheme – Rachel explained that the area now has 3 PCSOs who have been trained as a Key Worker, working alongside the Stronger Famillies team to provide support to families with various issues ranging from anti-social behaviour to drug abuse and domestic violence.

    ·           Operation Elf: a shop is open in the Wheatsheaf Shopping Centre in Rochdale Town Centre over the festive period to offer safety advice to residents of the borough over the festive period.  The shop will be open on Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

3.

Presentations/Updates

    Minutes:

    Rochdale Boroughwide Housing
    Nicky Morris provided an update on two regeneration projects:

    The Strand
    A planning application will be submitted to the Council before Christmas.  The decision on the application will be made March/April 2016.  The demolition of blocks B and C will be completed by September 2016.  Nicky informed the forum that the construction of the new Strand would be started in September 2016 with a completion date in mind for late 2017.

    11 x 2 bedroom flats will be built for OAPs on Daventry Road.  The construction will start in March 2016 and RBH hope to have these completed by early 2017.

    Residents at the forum raised concerns over the amount of large vehicles using the road to access the building sites.  Nicky said that when RBH submit the planning application, they are required to submit details of their plans in regards to the use of highways during the construction period.  This information all gets taken into account in the decision making process.

    Nicky updated the forum on the possible expansion to the surgery on Queens Drive.  The CCG are currently looking to expand this practice to take on more patients to deal with the new housing stock which is planned for the estate.

    Nicky updated the forum of the day to day things going on at RBH.  The organisation is facing budget cuts like everyone else.  The Kirkholt drop in centre has now reduced its hours and no longer opens on a Wednesday.

    Kirkholt Millions
    Barbara from the Kirkholt Millions project attended the meeting to give an update.  She told the forum that they have now had confirmation on the Skate Park in Balderstone Park, but are still awaiting more information on when this will happen.

    Celebration: Kirkholt Millions has funded many organisations in the area:

    -     St Thomas’ days out was a great success

    -     Contributed to the new uniforms for the Queensway Royals

    -     Funded basic English language classes at the community church

    -     Helped reinstate the Kirkholt Football Club which has now re-entered the Sunday League

     

    Kirkholt Millions has also funded a scheme to help residents of Kirkholt get into the construction industry.  Teams of 5 people will work for a period of 13 weeks on a house on Oldham Road.  Full training will be provided as well as transport from the estate to the site.  At the end of the 13 weeks, participants will receive their CSCS card which will allow them to work on building sites.  Training providers within the borough have been invited to express a bid for this project,  Kirkholt Millions are hoping to appoint a training provider on 21 January 2016.

    The Tenants and Residents Association has now given out its last grant.  Barbara told the forum to keep Kirkholt Millions in mind when bidding for grants.

4.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 72 KB

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.

5.

Forum Ideas

    Minutes:

    Nothing to report.

6.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Christmas Circus Event
    Councillor Meredith thanked Angela and Anthony for organising the Kirkholt Christmas Event which was a huge success.

    Christmas Carols
    Angela also told the forum about the Christmas Carols taking place at the Church on Wednesday 23 December.  Mince Pies and refreshments will be available.

    Tree outside 104–106 Balderstone Road
    A resident raised concerns about a dangerous tree outside the bungalows on Balderstone Road.  The tree is overgrown and is also causing damage to the footpath which is used to access the properties.
    Action 1: Anthony Jackson to contact RBH and Highways and feedback to the resident.

    Water running down Balderstone Road/Hilltop Drive
    A resident raised concerns at the amount of water running down Balderstone Road to Hilltop Drive.  Councillor Meredith informed the forum that Councillor Farnell was already dealing with this and he would get an update from him for the next meeting.

    Tenants and Residents Association
    Barbara informed the forum that the Tenants and Residents Association is now coming to an end, they are moving out of their base by mid-January.  She stated they are holding an open date (to be confirmed) to give away furniture.  You have to live in Kirkholt in order to attend.

7.

Date and time of next meeting

    Minutes:

    Balderstone and Kirkholt Community Meeting
    Tuesday 8 March 2016 at 6.30 pm
    Venue: Kirkholt Community Church, Daventry Road, Rochdale