Agenda and minutes

Venue: Kirkholt Community Church, Daventry Road, Rochdale OL11 2HZ. View directions

Contact: Valery White - Tel. 01706 924858 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

    Minutes:

    The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.  Attendees were informed of the sad passing of Sonia, a valued member of the meeting who sadly passed away recently.  The forum would like to note thanks to Sonia and expressed their deepest sympathy.

2.

PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police

    Minutes:

    Crime
    (taken for past 3 months compared to last year)

    Burglary - Up 16% (3 more burglaries than this time last year)

    Criminal Damage - no change in figures since same time last year (35 reported)

    Vehicle Crime - large increase from 9 to 23 incidents (there is an increase throughout the borough not just on Kirkholt)

    Anti-Social Behaviour - reduction of 23% from same time last year (around 15 incidents)

    Operations and Initiatives
    PCSO Holland has visited Holy Family School and talked with some of the years on the roles of PCSOs and the Police, ringing 999 and who to turn to if parents/guardians go missing or they need help.  PCSO Holland has also been talking to school children about the dangers of friending people they don’t know on social media sites such as Facebook and in chat rooms as well as promoting “stranger danger”.  Arrangements had been made to also visit Sandbrook School today, however, this visit was cancelled at the last minute due to an ongoing incident.

    All three PCSOs will be visiting Ian Fraser Court, Queensway on Thursday to do a meet and greet session with residents and to talk personal safety.

    Kirkholt will soon be getting a new full time PCSO starting in May 2016.  Kirkholt will now have four PCSOs working shifts on the estate.

    A prolific burglar has been jailed for around two years as a result of the excellent work from GMP.

    Councillor Meredith asked what was being done in response to the increased vehicle crime in the area.  GMP initiatives are awareness campaigns on social media, advising motorists to be vigilant, remove sat nav holders from their windscreens and also wipe clean the ring which the holder leaves on the window.  After every burglary the immediate area of homes is letter dropped with literature on staying safe.

    A resident expressed concern over recent phone calls they had received claiming to be from their GP surgery, asking questions in relation to bank details, etc.  PCSO Holland reminded everyone to be vigilant and never to give your personal information out via the telephone.

    Priorities

    1.      Vehicle crime

    2.      Regeneration sites

    3.      Empty properties

3.

Presentations/Updates

    Minutes:

    Kirkholt Million
    Barbara Harrison gave an update on the Kirkholt Million Project.  The first two years of the project were spent consulting residents on what they wanted the project to achieve during the initial two years.

    A: Apprenticeships
    Kirkholt Million has set aside a sum of money to provide apprenticeships for Kirkholt residents.  A contract for a training provider went out to tender and Groundwork won the bid.  Historically, funding for apprenticeships has mainly been for people aged between 16–24 years old.  Kirkholt Million have worked with Groundwork to develop apprentice opportunities for residents ages 24+.

    B: Basic building skills
    Groundwork are also delivering a course for Kirkholt residents which delivers basic skills in building, and upon completion participants will have qualifications and experience for them to work on a building site.  The course is 15 weeks long and has five residents on each course.  The first course is currently underway and they are working on an office building in the Kirkholt area.  There isn’t a salary attached to the course, however, taking part in the course does not affect participants’ benefits.

    C: Community grants
    Kirkholt Million is starting a new phase of community grants for community groups.  The grant previously awarded to Kirkholt Pantomime has been returned as the group lost their venue.

    D: Development
    Kirkholt Million are currently in the process of advertising a job for a Community Development Officer to work with community groups and residents of Kirkholt.  The job will initially be 30 hours a week for a 12 month period.

    Skate Park
    Barbara announced there has been movement in the Skate Park development.  The skate park contractors may be onsite by the Summer holidays.  A press release is imminent.

    Rochdale Boroughwide Housing

    Nicky Morris provided an update on regeneration projects:

    The Strand
    Planning permission has been submitted and an approval is expected at the end of March 2016. Remaining traders in Blocks B and C will be relocated by the end of May 2016 and contractors will be on site at their new locations in around three weeks’ time for refurbishments.  Demolition will commence in the Autumn.

    The houses set for demolition on the Balderstone, Kildare and Lilac area of Kirkholt have been demolished.  The area will be levelled, seeded and maintained by RBH.

    Queens will have 11 two bedroom houses available for rent by families; they are due to be completed by October 2016.

    The Daventry Road area is set to start demolition this month with an expected completion date of March 2017.

    RBH Community Grants
    Grants previously available to Tenants and Residents Associations are now given to any group that has an RBH membership.  A member of the group with an RBH membership can apply on behalf of the group.  For information about the community grants visit
    www.rbh.org.uk/community-funding or alternatively call in to the RBH Drop in Centre on The Strand.

    Nicky informed the meeting that not all Tenants and Residents Associations are members of RBH and RBH tenants aren’t  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 73 KB

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.

5.

Forum Ideas

    Minutes:

    Nothing to report.

6.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Potholes
    A discussion was held about the potholes in the ward, particularly on Hill Top Drive, Darley Road and other areas on the estate.
    Action 1: Site visit to the estate to be arranged and potholes photographed for reporting to the Highways Department (Anthony Jackson)

    Tree outside 104–106 Balderstone Road
    At the last meeting residents raised concerns about a dangerous tree outside the bungalows on Balderstone Road.  Anthony has liaised with RBH and the Council’s Highways Department to determine ownership of the land.  RBH is responsible for this area of land.  Kevin Johnson, Housing Officer for the area, has agreed to visit residents on 9 March 2016 to discuss this matter.

    Missing post box
    A resident raised concerns about a post box which has disappeared in the area.  Councillor Meredith is taking this matter up with Royal Mail.

    Councillor Nickson informed the meeting some post boxes on lampposts have not been replaced by EON during the upgrades of the street lights as part of their PFI contract.  EON have now agreed that they have to replace these post boxes.

    Flooding on Balderstone Road
    Councillor Meredith asked residents if the flooding had now been resolved on Balderstone Road.  The residents confirmed it had and thanked Councillor Meredith for his work relating to this issue.

    Community Café at St Thomas’ Church
    Rev Angela Bryan informed the forum that St Thomas’ Church will be opening a community café as there is a clear need for such a facility on the estate since the closure of the café on The Strand.  Consultation is currently taking place concering opening times, stock requirements, etc.  Rev Bryan confirmed information about the proposed café can be found on St Thomas’ Facebook Page.

    Norman Barnes Fund
    The Norman Barnes Fund is available for the over 60’s to apply if they live in Rochdale, Castleton, Bamford or Norden.  The fund is a maximum of £250 per applicant and can be used for the following:

    -     Assistance towards the purchase or provision of items such as fridges, cookers, carpets and furniture

    -     Payments for services such as essential house decorating/repairs

    -     Assistance towards the cost of a recuperative holiday

    -     Assistance towards projects being undertaken by organisations which benefit the elderly in the area of benefit

    -     Payment to meet expenses for visiting people

    -     Provision of facilities such as tools, equipment or books

     

    More information about the fund can be found by searching “Norman Barnes Fund” at www.rochdale.gov.uk

7.

Date and time of next meeting

    Minutes:

    Tuesday 21 June 2016 at 6.30pm
    Venue: St Mary’s Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale