Agenda and minutes

Venue: St Mary's (Balderstone) Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale OL11 2HB. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson 

No. Item


Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB


    The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting. Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out. All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.


PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police


    Crime statistics (taken for the past 3 months compared to last year)

    Burglary - Reduced by 47%

    Criminal damage – Slight increase of 5% (two more this year than last year)

    Vehicle crime – Increase of 93% (types of crime show the increase is from theft of motor vehicle.  GMP have seen an increase over the past few weeks and vehicle crime is a priority for the ward already.  The main area of concern is around Oldham Road towards St Cuthbert’s.  Linked in with the Kingsway Ward to look at joint patrolling).

    Anti-Social Behaviour – Reduced by 20%. In April GMP carried out several joint warnings with RBH.  One family also evicted due to ASB.

    Mini Motors
    GMP are aware of the issue with mini motors in the area.  As stated on previous occasions, GMP are unable to pursue the bikes due to riders not wearing helmets.  GMP have recently identified two riders over the past two weeks when officers have driven passed them and they have not had their hoods up.  Statements have been submitted and these individuals will be summoned.  GMP continue to share posts on social media and submit any intelligence they may receive.  It was confirmed there are four ongoing cases which should be going to Court and they have identified an address GMP believe off-road bikes are kept.  GMP constantly working with RBH.

    Good News
    New policing model came into force beginning of May 2016.  The model retains one neighbourhood police officer and four PCSOs for the area as well as a dedicated Sgt, Richard Shelton, and also a dedicated Inspector, Rick Webb.  The team all now work the same shift pattern.  This arrangement will allow GMP to tackle problems as a team and work together more, joining up at weekends to tackle ASB issues.  The shift is made up of both Kirkholt and Kingsway officers as wards overlap.

    In May, PCSO Holland and PC Walsh (Kingsway) attended a group called FAST at Holy Family School that provides support for vulnerable families.  The group spoke to families about staying safe and GMP’s role in the community.

    Over the past few months GMP has attended St Mary’s Primary School to complete several talks regarding internet safety, stranger danger, etc.

    In May the Maker Space project on Kirkholt (run on Mondays) was nominated for the KYP Diversity in Education Award and they won.  It is a great achievement for all involved.  The project looks to help get people back in to employment or education and is a drop in session for vulnerable adults or a place to meet people.

    Q Garden Buddies – a few months ago PCSO Holland applied for funding and secured £1,000.  The project is called Buddies and aims to help give confidence to vulnerable adults/families and is run on Mondays 12-2pm.  Adults attend with mental health, learning difficulties, unemployment, drug and alcohol issues and can partake in gardening, painting, etc. or simply chat.  GMP aim to attend most Mondays.  Also in attendance are  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.


Councillor Update


    Councillor Nickson
    Councillor Nickson informed the forum she is a governor at two local schools; St Cuthbert’s and Holy Family, and she has been involved in a lot of work in both along with GMP.  She holds a weekly surgery drop-in Tuesdays at 2pm (Councillor Farnell’s is on Saturdays).  A recent meeting with the new area Sgt Shelton was very productive.

    The Christmas Tree Switch On Event will be held on Thursday 24 November 2016 at 3.30–6pm on The Strand and everyone attending can obtain a free cone of chips from Ken’s Chippy after the switch on.  The event will be funded from the Councillor’s Ward Funds.  The theme this year for the event is ‘Around the World in Eighty Days’ to reflect the international nature of the community.  (The Christmas Party event will be held at St Thomas’ Church from 3.30pm and the switch on will be at 6pm).

    Councillor Farnell
    Councillor Farnell updated the forum on the meeting with Sgt Shelton and the three main issues raised:

    ·           ASB on Oldham Road

    ·           Vandalism of parks

    ·           Motorcycles and bikes

    and how extra resources are going in to tackle the above.

    The pedestrian crossing on Queensway near Daventry Road will be updated to a puffin crossing.

    The redevelopment of the Strand has been delayed due to relocating issues for the chip shop and chemist.  Hopefully the demolition will commence over summer with a final completion in around 12-18 months.  It will be a state of the art community hub and a base for everyone on the estate.

    Kirkholt Bowling Club – the number of children attending the facility is increasing and the full operation is run by volunteers.

    Friends of Balderstone Park – Councillor Farnell advised that the skate park had been funded by Section 106 monies from the Broad Lane development and the Council are hoping to spend more of the monies on improvements to the park and library.

    Working Men’s Club – The club will be demolished.  No finalised plans are available yet concerning what to do with the site.

    Hill Top School Site – 150 units of which 3 streets are to be named after national painters; Lowry, Constable and Stubbs.

    Councillor Surgery – New date of Saturdays at 10am.

    Queensway Snooker Club – The former premises on Platting Lane is now a high-end nursery retailer and the business has spent a lot of money on the upgrade of the building – great news that investment is taking place in the area.

    Referendum – Thursday 23 June 2016 – make sure your vote counts.

    Balderstone School Site – Gleeson’s are buying the land but no planning permission has been received for this former school site yet.

    Councillor Meredith
    Councillor Meredith provided an update on the missing post box on Hartley Lane.  He has chased up the matter with the Post Office and he has been informed that they do not know where it has gone and they are not intending on replacing it.

    Recent flooding – Residents reported  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.




    Tree of Time: Rochdale Borough Time bank (Sean Heron)
    Sean Heron from Rochdale Solutions provided an introduction to this model of working.  Time banking is a way to get vulnerable adults within the community to swap skills and time for services received instead of it costing money.  It builds up resources available by opening up access to more organisations and helps the community work together to connect and build relationships.  Information on how to contact the organisation was distributed.

    Kirkholt Million
    Barbara Harrison gave an update on the Kirkholt Million Project.  The first two years of the project have been spent consulting residents on what they wanted the project to achieve in its first two years.

    A) Skate Park
    Good News – The Skate Park will be completed by the end of next week and an event held on Saturday 6 August 2016 at 12.30-3.30pm will celebrate its opening.

    B) Apprenticeships
    Kirkholt Million has set aside a sum of money to provide apprenticeships for Kirkholt residents.  A contract for a training provider was submitted to tender and Groundwork won the bid.  Historically, funding for apprenticeships has mainly been for people aged between 16–24 years old.  Kirkholt Million have worked with Groundwork to develop apprentice opportunities for residents aged 24+. The group are celebrating their second round of trainees now.

    C) Community Grants
    Kirkholt Million is starting a new phase of community grants for community groups. The scheme hopes to assist people with rent issues in order to meet extra costs.

    D) Development
    Kirkholt Million currently employs two workers and is in the process of advertising a part-time job for a Community Engagement Officer to work with voluntary community groups and residents of Kirkholt.

    Rochdale Boroughwide Housing
    Kevin Johnson sent his apologies and he asked if there were any updates/issues raised by residents, Townships would email them through to him and he will assist.


    ·           Tree outside 104-106 Balderstone Road – Residents advised that since the last forum, a branch has fallen off this tree and also the property guttering adjacent is full of leaves – can this be addressed?

    ·           3 Hill Top Drive – Two trees at the front of the property have grown extensively and are now blocking out light – can this issue be addressed?


Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 73 KB


    The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.

    Councillors raised a query over previous PACT statistics being inaccurate.  Townships have looked into this matter and the printed minutes are a true depiction of statistics from GMP which were clarified with officers after the last meeting.


Forum Ideas


    Nothing to report.


Open Forum


    New Medical Centre
    A resident reported that she had been informed there are future plans for a medical centre on the estate and enquired further with Councillors.  Councillor Farnell advised the forum that he will obtain an update on this matter and report back at the next forum, although the full process may be slow due to the fact that it involves the health service.

    St Thomas’ Church Community Café
    Residents were informed of the launch of a community café at St Thomas’ Church on Tuesday 5 July 2016 at 1-3pm.  The café will be open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.


Date and time of next meeting


    Tuesday 20 September 2016 at 6.30 pm
    Venue: Kirkholt Community Church, Daventry Road, Rochdale