Agenda and minutes

Venue: Kirkholt Community Church, Daventry Road, Rochdale OL11 2HZ. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

    Minutes:

    The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

Balderstone & Kirkholt Community Event and Christmas Lights Switch On (Councillor Nickson)

    Minutes:

    Councillor Nickson informed the meeting of the free Christmas tree switch-on event to be held on The Strand on Thursday 24 November 2016 at 3.30–6pm (A Christmas party event will be held at St Thomas’ Church from 3.30pm and the switch on will take place at 6pm).  The theme this year is ‘Around the World in Eighty Days’ to reflect the international nature of the local community with food and entertainment that acknowledge the diverse cultures.

3.

PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police

    Minutes:

    Crime
    Update on previous off-road bike issues was raised.  In the last six months GMP have been targeting mini motors in a plain vehicle, but as stated on previous occasions, GMP are unable to pursue the bikes due to riders not wearing helmets.  Officers are well aware of the usual suspects on the estate and in the last six months ten people have been arrested for having no insurance, some have been arrested for no licences and also disqualified drivers.  Most cases have been to court resulting in heavy fines and points on their licence/suspended sentences.  Cars are also stopped and checked if suspect.  GMP has been working in partnership with local housing associations to make visits to properties.  As a result the frequency of reports has dropped recently as it seems the message has been getting across.

    Oldham Road vehicle crime has seen a reduction due to high profile policing along this stretch of road.  As a result there have only been four incidents in the past three months.

    No anti-social behaviour has been reported at the new skate park facility.

    Statistics for the ward (past three months, 18 June-18 September 2016, compared to last year)

    Burglary dwellings - Reduced by 30%
    Burglary others – Increase of 7% (only equates to one more occurrence)
    Criminal damage – Increased by 34%
    ASB – Decreased by 24%
    Vehicle crime – Decrease of 24%

    A resident questioned the delay in calls being answered on GMP’s 101 line as she experienced a 20 minute wait.  PC Horton apologised but urged residents to still report all crimes.

    GMP praised the efforts and hard work of the community and the committee relating to the installation of the skate park, stating it is an excellent asset to the community.

    Due to recent reports of pupils from St Cuthbert’s ‘rampaging’ in the area of Crompton Avenue, the matter has been dealt with by the PCSO and a PC will pay a visit to the school next week.  GMP has good communications with the teachers and management at the school.

    The meeting was advised all GMP staff now have either a mobile phone device or tablet which is connected to the Police station; this will enable reports to be compiled without necessity for officers to go back to the station.

    Surgeries are held at the Kirkholt Drop-in Centre every 2 weeks on a Tuesday 10-11am

4.

Councillor Update

    Minutes:

    Councillor Nickson

    Councillor Nickson informed the meeting she held the position of Vice Chair of Governors at St Cuthbert’s High School.  She advised if the public have matters to discuss with the school, they should always ring the school direct for an immediate response.  Councillor Nickson reminded residents to fill in their high school choice forms as they are due to be submitted imminently to the Local Authority.

    Councillor Nickson spoke about her considerable casework recently concerning neighbour nuisance.  She urged residents to contact the Council for early referral to access services to assist if they experience neighbour nuisance.

    Councillor Nickson reported on her recent attendance at the Pennine Trust Scrutiny Group who are tasked with organising better health services/experiences for the public.  She urged residents to advise her of any concerns as she would act as their representative and advise the group of the issues.

    Councillor Farnell
    Councillor Farnell updated the meeting on the change in the Council’s alley gating policy.  Objections to alley gates must exceed 20% of those questioned to stop installation.  He advised new gates will soon be erected on Schofield Street/Well ’i th’ Lane.

    The pedestrian ‘puffin’ crossing on Queensway near Daventry Road is now finished.  Daventry Road will now re-open and he confirmed resurfacing works have been completed.

    Shaw Road – a planning application for two houses to be built on greenbelt land will be heard at the Planning Committee next week.  Officers have recommended the application for refusal.

    The Council has allocated a budget of £300k to repair broken gullies.  Work will start in November on repairs and also the jetting/cleaning of these gullies.

    Kirkholt Bowling Club has secured £44k for a new roof, as the existing roof was leaking, and the funds will provide improved disabled facilities/access.  The club is an asset to the local community with many young children attending the facility.

    The redevelopment of The Strand has been delayed due to relocating issues for the chip shop and chemist.  Hopefully the demolition will commence over summer with a final completion in approx 12-18 months.  The new facility will house a state of the art community hub to create a base for everyone on the estate, flats and shop units.  Works for the three storey build will start early next year and cost £7 million.  Councillor Farnell informed the meeting the dentists have relocated to Queens Drive and the chip shop and pharmacy are on the first block.  The middle and the top block will then be demolished

    Councillor Farnell advised he is in advanced talks with health bodies about the future health centre which will be a fantastic new facility.

    Friends of Balderstone Park – the new houses built on the Broad Lane site are selling well and Section 106 monies of £500k will be used to invest in the library, community café and also carry out improvements to the park.

    Balderstone Skate Park is an excellent project and a great asset to the local community.  No complaints  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Presentations/Updates

    Minutes:

    Heywood, Middleton & Rochdale Circle (Mark Wynn)
    The meeting was informed about the service provided that operates across Rochdale, Heywood, Middleton and Pennine villages.  HMR Circle is a membership organisation that was created by people who wanted to find new and unique ways to do more and to lead a flourishing life.

    The monthly calendar has a whole range of exciting social events including meals, day trips, theatre, dancing, quizzes, concerts, and much more - all taking place across the borough in different venues.  Membership includes access to HMR Circle’s network of local Helpers: friendly and vetted local people who can help with gardening, cleaning, technology and odd jobs around the house.


    Kirkholt Million
    Linda Mills, the new chair or the Kirkholt Million, gave an update on the Project.

    Skate Park

    Good News – the Skate Park had an amazing and brilliant opening.  Thanks to all the team behind it.  What an excellent job has been done.

    Development
    Kirkholt Million has now appointed Amanda in a part-time job role as Community Engagement Officer to work with voluntary community groups and residents of Kirkholt.

    Rochdale Boroughwide Housing
    Kevin Johnson sent his apologies.  Should any residents have any updates/issues, the Township Officer can always email them through to him and he will assist.

    Updates from Kevin Johnson

    ·      Tree outside 104-106 Balderstone Road – Residents advised at the last meeting that a branch has fallen off this tree and also property gutterings adjacent are getting full of leaves – can this be addressed?  UPDATE – RBH had the trees roots ground down recently and the path resurfaced.  Kevin will email the Council to ask for the trees to be trimmed back.

    ·      3 Hill Top Drive – Concerns were raised at the last meeting about two trees at the front of the property that have grown extensively and now blocking out light – can this issue be looked at?  UPDATE – RBH will keep attempting to contact the owners to resolve this matter.

6.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 82 KB

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.

7.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Access to Springhill Playing Fields
    Residents raised concerns about Springhill Playing Fields being fenced off and gated by the football club that denies the public access to the land.  The club states the reason for these measures is dog fouling.  The group of residents have attended the meeting to gather support and they advised a petition containing over 200 signatures will be presented to the Rochdale Township Committee this week.  The residents stated they did not oppose the football club maintaining and improving the land or erecting fencing, only that they had restricted public access.  Clarification was sought from the Council/Councillors on the status of the land on Crompton Avenue.

    Councillor Farnell commented that a number of residents had already approached him concerning this issue and he is making enquiries with both the football club and also the Council’s Estates Department.  The legal status of the land needs clarifying, as does the specifics on the lease.  Once this information is known, both parties need to work together to try and come to some form of compromise which will meet both the needs of the dog walkers and children and also the football club.  Councillor Farnell stated if not for the very small minority of irresponsible dog walkers, this matter would not have arisen.  The residents stated they are monitoring the incidents of dog fouling on the site.

8.

Date and time of next meeting

    Minutes:

    Tuesday 13 December 2016 at 6.30pm
    Venue: St Mary’s (Balderstone) Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale