Agenda and minutes

Venue: St Mary's (Balderstone) Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale OL11 2HB. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson - Tel: 01706 924343 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

    Minutes:

    The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police

    Minutes:

    Crime
    PCSO Adams advised there has been a reduction in crimes recently in the ward as follows

    Anti-social behaviour – down 20%
    Criminal damage – down 75%
    Burglary others – down 90%

    Statistics for the ward (past three months and compared to last year)

     

    Anti-social behaviour

    29

    8

    Robberies

    2

    2

    Domestic burglaries

    26

    8

    Burglary (others)

    1

    8

    Theft of vehicle

    4

    4

    Theft from vehicle

    16

    1

     

    PACT Priorities agreed were:

    1.      Burglary (Operation Dark Nights)

    2.      ASB (hot-spots areas: Balderstone Park and Library)

    3.      Reassuring the vulnerable (spike in incidents of the vulnerable/elderly being befriended by undesirables).  Residents attending the forum stated they would raise the matter with certain community groups and associations (CVS/NCompass/The Circle/Rochdale Pensioners Group, etc.) to increase awareness for the elderly.

     

    GMP advised of ‘Operation Dark Nights’ initiative which offers crime prevention advice and reassurance to residents during the winter months; putting house lights on when going out, keeping valuables out of sight and asking for identification of individuals at the door before opening, etc.

    Councillors raised issues reported of anti-social behaviour occurring along the canal towpath; smashing windows of houses, rocks being thrown at cyclists, burglary and using the canal as a getaway route, etc.  GMP added it to the PACT list of priorities and the Chair of the forum stressed to residents to continue reporting it to GMP so a pattern can be built up to warrant resources being allocated to the matter.

3.

Councillor Update

    Minutes:

    Weekly surgeries are held at Balderstone Library on Saturdays at 10am and Kirkholt Drop-In Centre on Tuesdays at 2pm.

    Councillor Nickson

    ·           The ‘western themed’ community event held on Monday 20 November 2017 at 4-6pm in St Thomas’ Church was an excellent success generating a great deal of community involvement.  Thanks to all who were involved.

    ·           As Chair of Governors at St Cuthbert’s High School, Councillor Nickson advised that interviews will be held for the new Headteacher in the next week.

    ·           Local ward surgery attendee numbers have dropped recently at The Strand Drop-in Centre which may be due to the ongoing works there.

    ·           The company ‘Gleeson’s’ had made a request to find a group of young people/sports club to award £500 to, so Councillor Nickson put forward the local Junior Bowling Club for the award as lots of local children regularly attend.

     

    Councillor Meredith

    ·           Dean Farm, Balderstone – The consultation on the planning application resulted in a few concerns being raised by members of the public on drainage/flooding and access issues, etc which Taylor Wimpey are addressing.

    ·           Queensway resurfacing traffic management issues have been addressed now.

    ·           Pothole issues raised at last forum – Checked and Highways advised that they have a 14 day turnover after marking the road to implement the repairs.

    ·           Queens Drive traffic management previous issues seem to now be resolved.

    ·           Councillor Meredith advised the forum that he had recently become a Governor of Sandbrook Community Primary School so can refer back any concerns if need be in the future.

    ·           Universal Credit – Date for it to be implemented in the Rochdale area has been delayed.  Advice and support being looked into for residents – more information at the next forum hopefully.


    Councillor Farnell (update provided by Councillor Meredith)

    ·           Planning permission has now been submitted for the new health centre.  CCG have stated that it won’t be open until December 2019.  Residents expressed their disappointment and concerns for the elderly residents on the estate not having direct access to care on their doorstep.  CCG have accepted an invitation to attend the next forum to address issues/concerns with any residents.

    ·           Hill Top Drive development is moving very well and the development at the former Balderstone School site has commenced.

     

    Councillor Meredith attended the Western/Christmas community event.  It was very well attended and a success for the ward and community.

    Councillors Meredith and Nickson advised the forum they will be pooling together their remaining Members’ Funds to pay for an event for the residents of the ward around Easter time next year – to be held in Balderstone Park.

4.

Presentations/Updates

    Minutes:

    Kirkholt Million
    C. Mottershead gave a brief update.  There is a children’s event in the planning for the end of December in association with the Co-op and Rochdale Boroughwide Housing.  The new member of staff at Kirkholt million has settled really well into the role and is progressing well too.  Three grants have been awarded this session to community groups; the maximum amount to be awarded is £1,000 and schools can apply too.  The forum were asked to consider any groups that need funding and direct them to access the initiative via contact Kelly Dawson of the Kirkholt Millions.  A three year plan has been submitted to the National Lottery for the skate park and a consultation day was held on suggestions for the future of the facility.

    Rochdale Boroughwide Housing
    No one from Rochdale Boroughwide Housing was in attendance.

    A resident raised the matter of overhanging branches from neighbouring trees next to her property on Hill Top Drive, Kirkholt.  This matter to be reported to the Neighbourhood Officer for the area.

5.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 72 KB

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the previous meeting were approved as a true record.

    Grass cutting
    The issue of grass cutting on Oldham Road and Crompton Avenue areas discussed at the last forum has been raised by Councillor Farnell with the Council’s Environmental Department.

    Meeting attendance
    The forum had discussed the reducing attendance numbers and suggestions were made to increase advertisement and awareness of the meeting.  The Township Officer has spoken to the Council’s Communications Section to ensure the meeting is promoted on all forms of social media in the run up to a forum and the GMP contact person responsible for their social media output for Rochdale will be asked to promote the meetings.

6.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Hill Top Drive overhanging branches
    As stated under agenda item 4, a resident raised the matter of overhanging branches from neighbouring trees next to her property on Hill Top Drive, Kirkholt.  This matter to be reported to the Neighbourhood Officer for the area.

    Letter of thanks
    The Chair, Councillors and residents expressed their wish that a letter of thanks goes to Angela Bryan at St Thomas’ Church before her imminent departure, thanking her and the congregation for their assistance with the community events that have been held at the church.
    Action: Township Officer to write a thank you letter on behalf of the forum.

7.

Date and time of next meeting

    Minutes:

    Tuesday 20 March 2018 at 6.30pm
    Venue: Kirkholt Community Church, Daventry Road, Kirkholt, Rochdale

    Agendas and minutes of the meetings are available on the Council’s website www.rochdale.gov.uk/councilmeetings under heading ‘Councillors and committees’ and ‘Agendas, reports and minutes’.