Agenda and minutes

Venue: St Mary's (Balderstone) Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale OL11 2HB. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson - Tel 01706 924343 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

    Minutes:

    The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.  The Chair asked that the groups’ best wishes for a speedy recovery be passed on to Rachel Hudson.

2.

PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police

    Minutes:

    Crime statistics for the ward (past three months and previous three months)

     

    Anti-social behaviour

    21

    27

    Criminal damage

    49

    33

    Burglary dwelling

    23

    22

    Burglary other

    7

    8

    Theft from motor vehicle

    11

    7

    Theft of motor vehicle

    13

    23

     

    PACT priorities - Current priorities are anti-social behaviour, particularly around Kirkholt and the library, and speeding around Queensway/Oldham Road.

    Speeding
    PCSO Adams plans to organise a traffic operation with traffic PCSOs as they have additional enforcement powers, and access to the mobile speed van.  A discussion took place and it was acknowledged that the problem starts from Castleton via Queensway, however as this is a small team, PCSO Adams intends to prioritise Oldham Road first.  It was agreed that cameras are not usually the answer and that education is key.  Various suggestions were made, including representation to the Council’s Cabinet with regard to current policy, and a suggestion of displaying accident damaged vehicles at public events.  There were also reports of increasing numbers of vehicles that are not displaying front number plates.
    Action 1: Townships to check progress of speed surveys on Broad Lane and Shaw Road

    Action 2: Councillor Meredith to pursue funding for a speed survey on Queensway/Oldham Road, jointly funded by Balderstone & Kirkholt and Castleton Ward Funds.

    Action 3: PCSO Adams to arrange a tamper-proof number plate event.

    Drug Dealing
    Residents reported witnessing drug dealing on Crompton Avenue.  All were advised to report all incidents to 101, regardless of how much information they are able to provide, as this builds up a picture of activity in a particular area, which assists the Police in targeting their resources.

    Off-Road Bikes
    As with the above, residents were encouraged to report all incidents to 101.

3.

Councillor Update

    Minutes:

    Councillor Meredith

    ·           Confirmation that he is working with Officers to ensure that there will be a Christmas tree at Kirkholt this year.  Discussions are taking place to identify the most suitable location.

    ·           There will be a Christmas event at The Hub on 22 November 2018.

    ·           Councillor Meredith gave updates on various road improvement schemes recently completed.

    ·           Any resident with an issue to report was encouraged to contact Councillor Meredith direct.

     

    Councillor Nickson

    ·           Remains very committed to the schools.  Current roles include Vice Chair of Governors at St. Cuthbert’s and Chair of Governors at Brimrod Primary School.

    ·           There have been problems with the allocation of school places this year.  Whilst Councillor Nickson is not aware of any children in the ward failing to secure a place, she is keen that the problems experienced this year are addressed in time for next year.

    ·           Government cuts mean that the Council is £0.5m short for its services for 2018/19.  All residents were urged to put forward ideas for future savings direct to Councillor Brett, Leader of the Council.

    ·           The ward has taken part in Rochdale in Bloom for the first time.  The commitment from Sandbrook School was excellent and it would be good to get more ‘Friends’ groups involved next year.

    Action 4: Councillor Meredith to make links with the Rochdale in Bloom Steering Group

    Councillor Farnell

    Not present for update.

4.

Presentations/Updates

    Minutes:

    Kirkholt Million
    Following the demise of Rochdale CVS, finances are now sitting with the Big Life Group.  A new plan is under review which will include a timetable of action.  A number of schemes are planned, including development of a ranger scheme and improvements to the Rhodes Crescent/Mornington Road areas.  Cartwheel Arts are working on a history of the estate which will result in the production of a book.  Funding has been agreed to Friends of Balderstone Park for play equipment, and for furniture and equipment for the new hub.  The group are able to subsidise other groups within the area for rents, room hires, etc and they are happy to receive applications.

    Rochdale Boroughwide Housing.
    Not present for update.

    Skate Park
    The terms of the funding from Big Local state that any works on the skate park need to be funded by the Millions Project, not the Council.  It was agreed that the funds allocated by the Council would be decommitted and returned to the Township Funds.
    Action 5: Townships to decommit funding to Balderstone Park and inform Environmental Management

    Springhill Playing Fields
    Representatives of the Springhill Playing Fields Residents Action Group attended to express frustration at the lack of responses from the Council’s Legal Team with regard to the current situation concerning the status of the fields.  It is understood that Rochdalians are in possession of a licence and that a lease is being pursued.

    The group is still challenging the erection of the perimeter fence and is requesting open access to the fields.  The group has successfully managed to get the fields registered as an asset of community value, and is now pursuing Village Green status.  Despite appeals to the Council’s Monitoring Officer, no progress update has been forthcoming and the group is now considering a formal complaint to the Council.

    A request to Councillor Meredith for signage in relation to the ACV status has not progressed due to the lack of clarification from Legal.

    Action 6: Townships to contact Legal for a formal response.

5.

Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 93 KB

    Minutes:

    The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed.

    Hill Top Drive overhanging branches
    Action 7: Councillor Meredith to raise with Rochdale Boroughwide Housing

    Medical Centre & Hub
    Land has been agreed by Cabinet and the building is due to start in October 2018.  The keys to the Hub are due to be handed over.  The open date is still not confirmed.  The remaining block of shops will eventually be demolished.

    Public Realm Inspectors
    A question was raised in relation to the number of penalty notices issued.  Councillor Meredith is now
    Chair of Communities, Regeneration & Environment Overview & Scrutiny Committee and will bring that information to a future meeting.

6.

Open Forum

    Minutes:

    Tree – Crompton Avenue
    A branch recently fell from a tree onto the pavement.  Residents stated that the tree has been dangerous and a request for attention has been logged since 2005.  It was stated that the branch could have caused somebody serious harm.
    Action 8: Councillor Meredith to report direct to Mark Widdup

    Skate Park flood lights
    For various reasons it had been decided not to progress with flood lights.

    Friends of Balderstone Park
    Meetings take place every third Monday of the month, 6pm at Balderstone Library.

7.

Date and time of next meeting

    Minutes:

    Tuesday 18 December 2018 at 6.30pm
    Venue: St. Mary’s (Balderstone) Church, Oldham Road, Rochdale.

    Agendas and minutes of the meetings are available on the Council’s website www.rochdale.gov.uk/councilmeetings under the heading of
    ‘Councillors and committees’ and then ‘Agendas, reports and minutes’.