Agenda and minutes

Central Rochdale Area Forum
Thursday, 12th March, 2015 6.30 pm

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel No. 01706 924817 

No. Item


Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB


Minutes from last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 73 KB


    The minutes of the Central Rochdale Area Forum held on Thursday 11th December 2015 were approved as a correct record with no matters arising.


    Councillor Sultan Ali and Gary Finch (Township & Engagement Officer) provided the Forum   with updates on the six issues on the progress sheet:


    1.    Whitworth Road Junction


    It was reported that there is the possibility of future improvement works to this junction in the future and that this issue will hopefully be addressed as part of these improvements.



    2.    Entwistle Road Waste Collections


    No update provided.


    3.    Kitchen Street Parking


    The Forum was informed that there are no restrictions to enforce and that parking appropriately is the responsibility of drivers. Regular messages are sent to staff working at Number One Riverside asking them to park responsibly.


    4.    Yorkshire Street Cleaning


    This area is cleaned on a regular basis in line with current policy.


    5.    Missing Litter Bins


    Environmental Management are not aware that litter bins have been removed.


    6.    South Street Nursery Grit Bin


    A request to inspect, remove and re-fill has been forwarded to the appropriate service.


PACT meeting - Greater Manchester Police


    Police Sergeant Nicholson and PCSO Bond reported on the number of incidents that had been reported / investigated for the period 12/12/14 to 12/03/15. Figures being:


    Dwelling Burglary 15

    Non dwelling burglary 7

    Robbery 7

    Theft from a motor vehicle 14

    Theft of motor vehicle 4

    Anti-social behaviour incidents reported 100


    Figures for the previous three months were:


    Dwelling Burglary 26

    Non dwelling burglary 12

    Robbery 8

    Theft from a motor vehicle 12

    Theft of motor vehicle 5

    Anti-social behaviour incidents reported 94


    A resident informed the meeting that noise and nuisance problems had been experienced because a number of individuals in vehicles had been parking on the vacant land on Ramsey Street between the hours of 20:00 hours and 02:00 hours.The Forum was informed that the land in question was Council owned land although the future use of the land was currently under consideration.


    Sergeant Nicholson agreed to add this area to future patrol plans.


    Sergeant Nicholson reiterated to the Forum the importance of reporting crime and incidents of anti-social behaviour. It was also explained that although anti-social behaviour (ASB) can be a nuisance it is not necessarily a crime. However it is important that incidents of this nature are reported so that ASB hot spots can be identified and subsequently monitored.


    Sergeant Nicholson informed the Forum that the Police operate a response grading system - ranging from 1 (most serious) to 4, which informs the response to be taken by the police to reported incidents. As a consequence of this it was crucial that residents when reporting incidents provided as much information as possible so that call handling staff could grade accurately.


    Action 1: Sergeant Nicholson agreed to bring more details of GMP’s response grading system to the next meeting of the Area Forum.


    The Chair reinforced the point that many agencies were involved in tackling crime and anti-social behaviour, not just the police. Partnership working was key to reducing crime and anti-social behaviour.


    It was reported that drug dealing had been reported to be taking place on land off Edward Street. PCSO Bond confirmed that this had also been reported to the police.


    A resident also stated that off road biking was becoming a nuisance on Syke Common and that a dog was being left unattended for long periods


    A member of the Forum asked how many behaviour contracts had been issued.


    Action 2: Sergeant Nicholson agreed to provide this information to the next meeting of the Area Forum.


    Sergeant Nicholson informed the Forum of the work that had been undertaken with young people gathering at the Shell Petrol Station. It was explained that over the past few weeks intelligence gathering had taken place, a number of cars had been stopped which had resulted in a number of fixed penalty notices being issued for no insurance and obstruction.


    Sergeant Nicholson also informed the Forum that the attention given to the Shell Petrol Station had enabled the police to engage with the young people and understand their  ...  view the full minutes text for item 11.


Open Forum


    The following issues were raised during the Open Forum:


    1.    A commercial bin had been left on Trafalgar Square for some time and needed to be removed.


    2.    A resident complained that his bin was being used by others. On occasions this resulted with the bin not being emptied due to it being overfull and contaminated with incorrect refuse.


    Action 3: Gary Finch to report both the above issues to the appropriate services.




Environmental Management and Enforcement Update


Ward Funds


    The Forum was informed that since the last Forum meeting two projects had been supported:


    1.    Additional bollards on Edward Street

    2.    The installation of a sensory garden at Howard Street Nursery School.


    The Forum was also informed that approximately £5000 was still remaining in Ward Funds. The Forum agreed that this money should be committed to a number of environmental improvements that were required in the Ward.


    Action 4: Gary Finch to process this request.




Ward News


    The following issues were raised:


    1.    A football match was recently held between the Police and young people from the Ward.


    2.    A successful clean up / litter pick had recently been held in Wardleworth on the 7th March 2015.


    3.    The Forum agreed that the proposed date on the next Area Forum (18th June 2015) be changed as it clashed with Ramadan.


    4.    The Forum agreed that consideration be given to introducing an additional Area Forum meeting at a different venue in the Ward, on a trial basis, as certain groups within the Ward are not represented by current arrangements.


    Action 5: Gary Finch to action bulletpoints 3 and 4 above.




Date and time of the next meeting