Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
Detail the need for extra Primary school
places, feedback results from consultation and ask approval for
school expansion plans
Cabinet considered a report outlining responses to the published proposals for the capacity changes, service provision and associated expenditure within a number of schools in the Borough:
The School Organisation and Development Team within Early Help and Schools aims to listen to suggestions from the consultations it runs on extra capacity in both its primary and secondary school estates. The decision to currently reject the expansion at Crossgates Primary for 2021 may have to be revisited in the future.
It was AGREED
1. That the enlargement of Castleton Primary School be approved to provide an additional 30 places in each new admission year group. The enlargement would make permanent an admission number of 60 from September 2019.
2. That the rejection of the enlargement of Crossgates Primary School be noted, with the retention of admission numbers at 45 places per year group.
3. That the creation of an autism Resourced Provision at Shawclough Primary school be approved to provide an additional 12 places for children with an EHCP for autism.
4. That approval be given for expenditure for the implementation of an expansion at St Johns Thornham; for invitations to tender to be issued and accepted and for the supporting contracts, and any incidental and ancillary documentation, to be signed in order to deliver the scheme in accordance with Financial Regulations.
5. That approval be given for expenditure of additional funds for the implementation of the plan to deliver up to 120 extra secondary school places within the boroughs existing schools for the 2020 intake year to meet the predicted need.
6. That approval be given for additional Basic Need Programme spend of £2,185,000 for the projects relating to St Johns Thornham and the extra secondary school places as set out in Appendix 1 to the report.
Reason for Decision
There is a need for extra primary school places as detailed in the preious report to Cabinet on the 26 February 2019.
Each local authority has a statutory duty to secure a sufficient number of places in each of their areas.
Report author: Fay Davies
Publication date: 26/02/2020
Date of decision: 30/07/2019
Decided at meeting: 30/07/2019 - Cabinet