To consider the report of the Cabinet Member for Climate Change and
Sustainability/ Director of Neighbourhoods
Consideration was given to a report of the Cabinet Member for Climate Change and Sustainability / Director of Neighbourhoods seeking approval to enter into a collaboration agreement with the other 9 GM local authorities and GMCA/TfGM.
In July 2017 the Secretary of State issued a Direction under the Environment
Act 1995 requiring seven Greater Manchester local authorities to produce a feasibility study to identify the option which would deliver compliance with the requirement to meet legal limits for nitrogen dioxide in their areas.
1. That the progress of the Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan be noted.
2. That the next steps for the development of the Clean Air Plan and Minimum Licensing Standards be noted.
3. That the distribution of Bus Retrofit funding commenced in December 2020;
4. That it be noted Government ministers have agreed to consider extending Greater Manchester’s Clean Air Zone charges to the sections of the A628/A57 which form part of the Strategic Road Network, within the proposed Manchester’s Clean Air Zone boundary, subject to the outcomes of an assessment, which is expected to be completed by early 2021.
5. That it be noted the GM Clean Air Plan is required to take action to tackle nitrogen dioxide exceedances until compliance with the legal limits has been demonstrated and that the nearer term influence of COVID-19 on air quality is not expected to lead to sufficiently long term reductions in pollution such that the exceedances of the legal limits of nitrogen dioxide will not occur without implementing a Clean Air Zone.
6. That it be noted the GM Clean Air Plan final plan will be brought forward for decision makers as soon as is reasonably practicable and no later than summer 2021.
7. That it be noted the outputs of the MLS will be reported alongside the GM Clean Air Plan as soon as is reasonably practicable and no later than summer 2021.
8. That approval be given to the establishment of GM joint committees and to delegate to those committees the Authority’s functions as set out within paragraph 9.5 of the submitted report; and that the terms of reference contained within the submitted report be approved.
9. That the Portfolio Holder for Climate Change and Sustainability be appointed as Rochdale BC Members to both committees for purposes as set out within the submitted report at paragraph 9.5 with and the specific terms of reference, as set out in Appendix 6.
10. That the Assistant to the Portfolio Holder for Climate Change and Sustainability be appointed as substitute for both committees for purposes as set out within the submitted report at paragraph 9.5 with specific terms of reference, as set out in Appendix 6.
11. That approval be given for Rochdale Borough Council to enter into a collaboration agreement with the other 9 GM local authorities and GMCA/TfGM to clarify amongst other matters the rights, responsibilities and obligations of the authorities in relation to those contracts set out in Appendix 2 of ... view the full minutes text for item 92