Agenda and minutes

Venue: Training and Conference Suite, First Floor, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU. View directions

Contact: Michael Garraway  4716

Items
No. Item

35.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 27 KB

Members must indicate at this stage any items on the agenda in which they must declare an interest.  Members must verbally give notice of their interest at the meeting and complete the form attached with this agenda. 

 

Members are also advised to take advice with regard to any matter where there is potential bias or predetermination in any business to be considered at the meeting and whether they should take part in decision making at the meeting.

 

Members are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011 and the Council's adopted Code of Conduct, they must declare the nature of any discloseable pecuniary interest; personal interest and/or prejudicial interest required of them and, in the case of any discloseable pecuniary interest or prejudicial interest, withdraw from the meeting during consideration of the item, unless permitted otherwise within the Code of Conduct.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

36.

Open Forum

Half an hour has been set aside for members of the public to raise any issues relevant to the business of the Committee and the Township - incorporating a Police update.

Minutes:

The following matters were considered with the Open Forum:-

 

(a) Floods in Milnrow.

 

Local residents and business owners expressed concerns regarding the recent floods in the area and sought clarification regarding the long term plans to alleviate the flooding. Members discussed the issues and confirmed that the Council were working collaboratively with the relevant Council departments and external agencies to identify and deal with the issues.

 

(b) Milnrow Clock.

 

Mr D Hannant sought clarification regarding when the Milnrow Clock would be repaired.  Councillor Kelly provided an update and agreed to keep residents informed.

 

(c) The Greater Manchester Spatial Strategy Framework consultation.

 

Residents voiced several concerns over the plans including: the loss of countryside, the break-up of farmland and the lack of information.  Residents sought clarification regarding how urgent issues such as: flood prevention, building hospitals, addressing traffic congestion and creating more school places would be prioritised, resourced and addressed. The Chief Planning Officer outlined the consultation process and emphasised that the plans had been published for consultation.   It was reported that further stakeholder engagement had been planned and the consultation process would consider all responses.  Residents were informed that a drop in event (for information and advice) had also been arranged on 8th December at Milnrow Cricket Club, Harbour Lane, Rochdale - 3.30pm – 6.30pm.  Residents were urged to register their comments via the official channels and advised that further information could be obtained from the Rochdale Council website.

 

(d) Greater Manchester Police Update.

 

Police Inspector Howarth provided an update in relation to the Greater Manchester Police (GMP) activity in the Pennines Township.  Members were advised that crime had significantly reduced overall with a small increase within the Smallbridge and Firgrove areas.  A slight increase in crime rates was expected following improvement to the reporting of crime.  It was reported that premises housing Littleborough Police Station had been sold and plans to co-locate with Littleborough Fire Station were underway.

 

Members sought clarification regarding the number of PC’s deployed across the Pennines area.   Councillor Paolucci-Escobar sought clarification regarding the measures in place to address the health and wellbeing of Police staff.  It was reported that that 1.5 PCSO’s had been deployed in the area.  Members were reassured that the neighbourhood team would continue to respond to issues appropriately and resources would be deployed accordingly.  Members were advised that the health and wellbeing of staff would continue to be managed via an organisational health and wellbeing policy, open communication and dialogue as well as staff 1:1’s

 

Members of the Committee thanked Police Inspector Howarth for the update.  GMP was praised for their efforts and for the way they had worked jointly with the Community Safety Officer.

37.

Presentation - Greater Manchester Spatial Strategy Framework

Director of Economy to present.

Minutes:

The Chief Planning Officer delivered a presentation in relation to The Greater Manchester Spatial Strategy Framework (Draft for consultation).  The presentation detailed the vision, key objectives and the proposals for the Rochdale Borough.

Members discussed the potential benefits to the Borough and sought clarification regarding how the proposals would address local issues such as: climate change, flooding, congestion on local roads and air quality (which had worsened since the advent of the strategy).   It was reported that the purpose of the consultation was to determine whether the infrastructure could allow for the planned development growth.  The Committee were requested to encourage residents and other stakeholders within the Township to provide comments on the proposals by the end of the consultation process which was 23rd December 2016.

 

DECIDED – that the presentation be noted.

 

Eligible for call in – no.

38.

Minutes of the Meeting of the Pennines Township Committee held on 20th September 2016 pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held 20th September 2016.

Minutes:

DECIDED –That the Minutes of the meeting of the Pennines Township Committee held 20th September 2016 be approved as a correct record.

39.

Pennines Township Delegated and Funding Sub Committee pdf icon PDF 61 KB

To note the minutes of the Pennines Township Delegated and Funding Sub-Committee meeting held on 5th October 2016.

Minutes:

DECIDED –That the Minutes of the meeting of the Pennines Township Delegated and Funding Sub-Committee held 5th October 2016 be noted.

40.

Township Highways Champion Report

Pennines Township Highways Champion - to verbally update the Committee.

Minutes:

The Township Highways Champion, Councillor Ann Stott JP, provided an update regarding the following key issues which were discussed at the second Highways Champion meeting on 7th November 2016:-

 

·         The NSL Contract

·         Highways and Budget Performance Monitoring

·         BBLP contract efficiencies

·         Winter service

·         NHT customer satisfaction survey

·         Communications

·         Department for Transport self-assessments

 

It was reported that the next Highways Champion meeting would be held on 12th December 2016.  Members were invited to submit any questions/agenda items for the next meeting. The Township Committee agreed to receive regular updates in relation to the Highways Champion meetings at future meetings of the Township Committee. 

 

DECIDED – that (1) the update be noted.

            (2) further updates from the Highways Champion meetings be provided at future meetings of the Townships Committee.

 

Eligible for call in: no.

41.

Playing Pitch Strategy pdf icon PDF 153 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Township Committee considered a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which informed Members of the draft Playing Pitch Strategy. The purpose of the report was to consult with Township Committees on the draft Playing Pitch Strategy and provide details of the consultation process.  The Committee was asked to note the report and support the Playing Pitch Strategy.  Members were requested to encourage residents and other stakeholders within the Township to provide comments on the Playing Pitch Strategy before 31st December 2016.

 

The Committee were advised that the strategy covered all the main pitch sports – football, hockey, lacrosse, rounders, rugby league and rugby union. The Borough-wide strategy looked at pitches in council ownership, on school sites, owned by sports clubs and other providers.  In total over 300 pitches had been reviewed and assessed and the consultation had included more than 500 playing teams, education establishments, leagues and governing bodies.

 

The recommendations in the report were presented as a draft strategy had been produced in accordance with the Sport England Playing Pitch Strategy Guidance. The aim of the strategy was to make sure that there was an adequate supply of good quality, accessible grass and artificial pitches in the borough to meet current and future demands for formal pitch sports.

 

The strategy was set in the context of the council’s corporate plans and outlined how the Playing Pitch Strategy could help deliver the corporate objectives. It also took into account the changing national picture and priorities for sports and physical activity.

 

Alternatives considered: none.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the report be noted.

            (2) the Play Pitch Strategy be supported.

 

Eligible for call-in: no.

42.

Proposed Removal of BT Payphone Box pdf icon PDF 151 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Director of Economy which informed Members of the receipt of a letter from BT confirming its intention to remove a total of 27 payphones boxes across the Borough as listed in the appendix to the report.  The purpose of the report was to seek Township views on these proposals which would be forwarded to BT, together with any public views received by the Council before the consultation expiry date.

 

The Committee was informed that BT had undertaken its own form of public consultation by display of a site notice. The Notice invited comments to be submitted in writing to the Local Planning Authority. The Council had a period of 90 days from notification by BT to provide it’s, and the views of the public.  No public comment had been received at the time of writing and Member views were invited.

 

The recommendations in the report were presented for Township Committee for Members information and comments. 

 

Members discussed the proposal and requested that feedback from the consultation be provided at a future meeting of the Township Committee. 

 

DECIDED – that (1)  the report be noted.

            (2) feedback from the consultation be provided at a future meeting of the Township Committee.

 

Eligible for call-in: no.

43.

Proposed Discretionary Fees & Charges 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 194 KB

·         Resources;

·         Adult Care;

·         Early Help and Schools;

·         Public Protection;

·         Planning and Building Control;

·         Neighbourhoods;

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Director of Resources which presented the proposed discretionary fee and charge levels 2017/18 for the: Resources Directorate, Adult Care Services, Early Help and Schools Services, Public Health Protection Services, Planning and Building Control Services and Neighbourhood Services. The purpose of the report was to seek comments thereon as part of the public consultation process.

 

The recommendations were put forward as The Authority carried out an annual review of discretionary fees and charges as part of the budget setting process. For the 2017/18 financial year, Cabinet had agreed an increase of 5.0%, wherever possible to ensure that the Authority could set a balanced budget for the forthcoming year (2017/18).

 

Alternatives considered: none, as the Council needed to consider fees and charges as part of the process to ensure that the Authority set a balanced budget for 2017/18.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the report be noted.

(2) the proposed changes to discretionary fee and charge levels for the: Resources Directorate, Adult Care Services, Early Help and Schools Services, Public Protection Services, Planning and Building Control Services and Neighbourhood Services for 2017/18 be noted.

 

Eligible for call-in:  no.

44.

Savings Programme 2017/18 and 2018/19 - Group 2 Savings Proposals pdf icon PDF 239 KB

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Director of Resources which informed the Township Committee of the Group 2 saving proposals for 2017/18 and 2018/19 service delivery implications and to seek comments thereon as part of the public consultation process. Based on current assumptions the Council was required to make savings of £38.8m over the next two financial years to set a balanced budget.

 

Members were informed that a consultation process on Group 2 of savings proposals would be undertaken with the public, stakeholder groups, staff, unions and service users as appropriate. It was reported that the consultation process for Group 2 of the savings proposals would commence on 24th November 2016 and would conclude on 9th January 2017.

 

DECIDED – That the report be noted

 

Eligible for call-in:  no.

45.

Capital Programme 2017/18 to 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 298 KB

Minutes:

The Township Committee considered a report of the Director of Resources which presented the 2017/18 to 2019/20 Capital Programme, as shown in Appendix 1. The purpose of the report was to seek comments as part of the budget setting process.

 

The recommendation were put forward as Cabinet considered the proposed Capital Programme for 2017/18 and provisional programme for 2018/19 and 2019/20 on 3rd October 2016, and approved it as a basis for consultation.  To consider the proposals in this report regarding the 2017/18 Capital Programme as part of the process of consultation

 

Alternatives considered: none, as the Council is legally obliged to set a balanced budget. The budget setting process is complex and must be undertaken in a planned way. Budgets are prepared in accordance with the approved guidelines.

 

DECIDED – That the report be noted.

 

Eligible for call-in: no.

46.

Smithy Bridge Road and Eafield Road, Littleborough - Objection to Traffic Regulation Order pdf icon PDF 825 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Director of Neighbourhoods introduced a report which detailed the responses to objections and comments received to the proposed introduction of prohibition of waiting restrictions on Smithy Bridge Road and Eafield Road, Littleborough, in Littleborough Lakeside Ward.

 

The Township Committee were asked to considers whether to implement the proposed Traffic Regulation Order, Borough of Rochdale ((Civil Enforcement of Traffic Contraventions) (Various Streets) (Pennines Township) Order 2008) (Amendment) (No.55) order; not to implement the proposed Order; or, provide alternative proposals.

 

The Township Committee was advised that the proposed Order was deemed

strategic in nature and had to be dealt with in accordance with Section F2 of the

Scheme of Delegation to Township Committees. Members were advised that the Township Committee had delegated power to confirm the proposals and the Order. However, if the Committee wished not to confirm the proposals and the Order, the matter would be referred to Cabinet for decision.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the Traffic Regulation Order, Borough of Rochdale ((Civil Enforcement of Traffic Contraventions) (Various Streets) (Pennines Township) Order 2008) (Amendment) (No.55), as detailed within the submitted report be deferred to the next meeting of the Pennines Township Committee pending consultation between Ward Councillors and Residents.

 

Eligible for call-in: yes.