Contact: Peter Thompson Senior Committee Services Officer
Note: In the light of government guidance on social-distancing and the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, all meetings will be held remotely. The press and public are able to follow the proceedings by watching our live webcast of the meeting. You can do so following the directions on the meeting page or by going directly to the Council's YouTube site from the link below
To consider the minutes of the meeting of the Township Committee held on 18 February 2020
Consideration was given to the minutes of the meeting of the Rochdale North Township Sub-Committee meeting held on 18 February 2020.
That the minutes of the meeting of the Rochdale North Township Sub-Committee meeting held on 18 February 2020 be approved as a correct record.
To consider a report of the Director of Resources.
The Township Committee considered a report of the Director of Resources that requested that Members confirm their delegated decision making arrangements and make appointments to the Township Sub- Committees, including the Chairs, Vice Chairs and substitute members; the appointment of “lead” opposition spokespersons; and the appointment to other bodies.
The Committee could choose not to appoint Sub-Committees and undertake all delegated functions themselves, however this could have a detrimental impact on the ability to progress Township priorities or to deal with urgent items of business. The Committee could also, if it chose to do so, adopt alternative Sub-Committee arrangements.
1. The proposed Sub-Committee structure of the Rochdale North Township Committee comprising of the Rochdale North Township Action and Resources Delegated Sub-Committee and the terms of reference, as outlined at Appendix 1 of the submitted report, be approved;
2. Members be appointed as follows:
a. Rochdale North Township Action and Resources Sub-Committee: Councillors – O’Neill (Chair), Cocks (Vice Chair), Ali Ahmed, Iftikhar Ahmed, Sultan Ali, Gartside, Heakin, Holly, Massey, Rana, Wazir and Winkler (the opposition spokesperson be Councillor Winkler)
b. The relevant Ward Councillors be appointed to attend their respective Ward Forum;
c. Rochdale Regeneration Group – Councillors Sultan Ali, Holly, O’Neill, Rana and Wazir;
d. Township Older Persons Champion – Councillor Massey;
e. Township Young Persons Champion – Councillor Massey;
f. Rochdale North Township Planning Panel – All members of the Rochdale North Township Committee to be invited to attend meetings – except those Members who have also been appointed to the Council’s Planning and Licensing Committee.
3. Any amendments to the appointments be delegated to the Chair of the Rochdale North Township Committee to determine.
Reasons for the decision
The Council has established and appoints Township Committees that may exercise both executive and non-executive powers as set out in the Responsibility for Council Functions in Part 3 of the Constitution, which states that: appointments to Township Sub-Committees, Township Working Parties, Partnership Arrangements and Local Outside Bodies shall be made at the first meeting of the appropriate Township Committee in the new Municipal Year’. The Sub-Committee exercises either delegated powers or acts on any matter detailed in the Committee’s Terms of Reference on which it is essential to take a decision.
To consider the attached report from the Director of Neighbourhoods.
The Committee considered a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods that asked Members to approve the Rochdale North Township Funds’ terms and conditions, and to agree delegation arrangements concerning funding decisions.
In considering the report, the Committee’s Members were asked to decide whether or not to approve the allocation of funds to funding streams and to adopt appropriate terms and conditions.
1. The Committee notes the expenditure, commitments and balances for Rochdale North Township revenue and capital funds at financial year end 2019/20 (as outlined at Appendix 1 and 2 of the submitted report).
2. The Committee notes the findings of the review of Township Funds 2019/20 (as outlined at Appendix 3 of the submitted report)
3. The Committee approves the allocation of Rochdale North Township Funds to funding streams in 2020/21 as detailed in Appendix 4 of the submitted report.
4. The Committee approves the terms and conditions for Rochdale North Township’s revenue and capital funds for 2020/21 (as described at Appendix 5 of the submitted report).
5. The Committee authorises the delegation arrangements for Rochdale North Township Funds 2020/21 as detailed at 4.6 of the submitted report, subject to an amendment, approved by the Committee, that the amount which the Chair, Vice Chair and opposition Spokesperson may make decisions on the allocation of funds be set at £5,000 or under.
6. The Committee authorises any uncommitted/unspent funds be reallocated to a central revenue or capital funding stream as appropriate before the end of January 2021 to enable Members to spend/commit all Rochdale North Township Funds during 2020/21 financial year.
Reasons for the decision:
The management of the Rochdale North Township Fund is a matter that is delegated to the Rochdale North Township Action and Resources Delegated Sub Committee to determine. Rochdale North Township Funds are allocated to projects that benefit the Township’s community and environment, and realise the Township priorities. The decision enables the Committee to monitor and review the use of the Rochdale North Township Funds to ensure continued efficient and effective use of those funds.