Agenda and minutes

Venue: Phoenix Centre - L/Cpl Stephen Shaw MC Way, Heywood, OL10 1LR

Contact: Alison James  4711

Items
No. Item

51.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 27 KB

Members must indicate at this stage any items on the agenda in which they must declare an interest.  Members must verbally give notice of their interest at the meeting and complete the form attached with this agenda. 

 

Members are also advised to take advice with regard to any matter where there is potential bias or predetermination in any business to be considered at the meeting and whether they should take part in decision making at the meeting.

 

Members are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011 and the Council's adopted Code of Conduct, they must declare the nature of any discloseable pecuniary interest; personal interest and/or prejudicial interest required of them and, in the case of any discloseable pecuniary interest or prejudicial interest, withdraw from the meeting during consideration of the item, unless permitted otherwise within the Code of Conduct.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

52.

Open Forum

Half an hour has been set aside for members of the public to raise any issues relevant to the business of the Committee and the Township.

Minutes:

The following matters were raised as part of the Open Forum:-

 

a)            Former Mossfield School Site – Bamford Road

 

In response to a question from Mr H Downham-Clarke about the status of the former Mossfield School site on Bamford Road, the Township and Engagement Officer read out a response from the Director of Economy which advised that the developer who had won the competitive process for developing the site had withdrawn from the scheme due to the adjacent supermarket, Morrisons withdrawing their support for the scheme.

 

A number of alternative proposals were being looked at for the site including the potential for the Council to develop the site. An update on progress would be presented to the Township Committee in due course.

 

b)            Siddal Farm – Middleton Road

 

Mr H Downham-Clark raised the issue of access to footpaths in the vicinity of Siddal Farm, Middleton Road, some of which were disputed.

 

The Hopwood Hall Ward Councillors agreed to pursue this matter with the Council’s Legal Service and Planning Service.

 

c)            Friends of Queens Park

 

In response to a question from Ms Y Mills about communication between the Council and the Friends of Queens Park in regard to matters such as repairs to the theatre and the café, the Chair, Councillor Rush informed the Committee that he had relayed the latest information that he had to the Friends’ Group. The North Ward Councillors agreed to look into issues relating to unanswered emails about matters affecting the park.

 

d)            Birch Village

 

The Township and Engagement Officer reported that several written questions had been submitted by Mr G Louden relating to issues with HGV movements in the Hopwood area. A written response would be sent direct to Mr Louden.

 

e)            Rochdale Road East – Traffic Issues

 

Mr P Hopely and other residents of Rochdale Road East raised a number of concerns about traffic on Rochdale Road East including the condition of the road surface, the speed of traffic and amount of HGV’s using the road and causing properties to shake. The issues had been exacerbated by the night time closures at Junction 19 of the M62 when traffic was using Rochdale Road East as a diversion route.

 

The Head of Highways was requested to look into potential solutions including improved signage, the condition of the road surface and report back to the North Ward Councillors as soon as possible. The Police agreed to see if a temporary speed camera could be deployed in the area.

 

f)             Alley Gates – Rochdale Road East/Chadwick Lane

 

A local resident advised of on ongoing issues following the installation of alley gates at Rochdale Road East/Chadwick Lane which were causing residents problems including difficulties with parking.

 

The Assistant Director – Information, Customers and Communities agreed to look into the matters raised.

53.

Presentation - East Lancashire Railway

Minutes:

The Township Committee received a presentation from Mr Mike Kelly, Chair of the East Lancashire Railway (ELR) Trust Board about future developments for the Heywood Station site. Mr Kelly also referred to the setting up of a Rochdale Council Officer Group who would be looking a refreshing the Heywood Station masterplan.

 

Future plans for Heywood Station included:-

·         Being part of the Heywood in Bloom display sites;

·         The opening of the refreshment coach and children’s play area at Easter Time;

·         Looking at car parking provision near the site;

·         Developing the offer around the site to encourage more visitors.

 

Members of the Committee welcomed the developments at Heywood Station and requested that communications about events from the ELR be looked at as it was felt they currently placed too much emphasis on Heywood Station being used for free car parking.

 

Mr Kelly was thanked for attending the meeting and making the presentation on behalf of the East Lancashire Railway.

54.

Presentation - PossAbilities

Minutes:

The Township Committee received a presentation from Mr Malcolm McClean from PossAbilities about the organisation securing a £10,000 grant from the Big Lottery Celebrate Fund to create a ‘Monkeytown Trail’ of nine monkeys around Heywood. Schools would be invited to adopt a monkey and work with artists to create a unique design for each one. The trail would take people on a three-mile walk in and around Heywood, beginning and ending at the Cherwell Wellbeing Garden & Farm.

 

Mr McClean was thanked for attending the meeting and his presentation about the PossAbilities ‘Monkeytown Monkey Trail’ project.

55.

Minutes - Heywood Township Committee pdf icon PDF 63 KB

To consider the minutes of the meeting of the Heywood Township Committee held on 9th January 2017.

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting of the Heywood Township Committee held on 9th January 2017 were considered.

 

DECIDED – that subject to the deletion of the words “on a leasehold basis” in Minute No’s 48 and 50 that the Minutes of the meeting held on 9th January 2017 be approved as a correct record.

56.

Heywood Township Highways Work Programme 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 142 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Township Committee considered the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which requested the Committee to note and approve the highways work programmes which were proposed to take place during the 2017-2018 financial year for Heywood Township.

 

The programmes were appended to the submitted report and included the following:-

·         Year 2 of the 2016 - 2018 Approved Highways Maintenance Programme;

·         2017-18 Patching Programme;

·         2017-18 Drainage Repair Programme;

·         2017-18 Bridges and Structures Maintenance Programme;

 

The recommendations were put forward as Members had already approved year 2 of the 2016/18 two year highways maintenance programme.

 

The remaining programmes had been identified by using asset management good practice which was deemed by the Department of Transport (DfT) to be the most efficient way of managing highways assets.

 

No alternatives programmes had been considered as part of the process. The programmes had been put together using the principles of asset management with the aim of improving the Townships assets in the most efficient way possible. 

 

DECIDED – (1) that Year 2 of the 2016 -2018 Approved Highways Maintenance Programme be noted;

(2) that the 2017-18 Patching Programme be brought back to a future meeting of the Township Committee following a review of the schemes by Members;

(3) that the 2017-18 Drainage Repair Programme be approved as detailed in the submitted report;

(4) that the 2017-18 Bridges and Structures Maintenance Programme be approved as detailed in the submitted report;

(5) Where events external to the Council require rapid response or agreement in principle, the committee authorises the Head of Highways to vary the programme in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Housing and Environment and the Chair of the Township committee.

 

Eligible for call in - yes

 

 

 

 

57.

Disposal of Surplus Land Adjacent to 82 Aspinall Street, Heywood pdf icon PDF 137 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Township Committee considered the report of the Director of Economy which sought approval for the release of land adjacent to 82 Aspinall Street, Heywood for disposal as set out in the plan at appended to the submitted report at Appendix 1.

 

The recommendations were put forward as the site is 0.01 hectares (0.02 acres) in size and is defined in the Unitary Development Plan (UDP) as ‘Defined Urban Area’. The site is comprised of a vacant piece of land adjacent to a terraced property at 82 Aspinall Street. The site was the clearance site of a former end terrace house which had subsequently been grassed over.

 

Initial talks with Planners had highlighted that residential development of the site would be supported.

 

In terms of alternatives, the site could be retained for its current use. Retention of the site would not secure a capital receipt or beneficial development and would not reduce the Council’s financial liabilities.

 

The site was currently vacant. Retaining the site in its current use carried the risk of liabilities such as fly-tipping, anti-social behaviour and regular or ad hoc maintenance obligations.

 

DECIDED – (1) that the land adjacent to 82 Aspinall Street (as detailed in the plan appended to the submitted report at Appendix 1) be declared surplus to the Council’s requirements and be released for disposal;

 

(2) that the Head of Legal Services be requested to carry out the necessary legal work in connection with the disposal;

 

(3) that the purchaser be required to pay the Council’s legal and surveyor’s costs.

 

Eligible for call in - yes

 

58.

Townships Plan 2017-19 pdf icon PDF 127 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Township Committee considered the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which sought approval of the Township Plan for 2017-19.

 

The Township Plan identified priorities determined by each Township’s Councillors as a focus for action over the next two years.  The plan gathered aspirations and ideas together as a focus for decision makers, Council services, partner agencies and the voluntary and community sector active in the Rochdale Borough.

 

The Township Plan 2015 and 2016 had now expired.  The Township Plan 2017-19 included strategies and objectives identified to meet the priorities identified by each Township.  It would also guide, direct and detail the use of devolved budgets, including Township Revenue Funds, for the financial years 2017/18 and 2018/19.

 

The Township Plan formed part of the Council’s policy framework.  The plan was a ‘live’ document that would evolve and change to meet new opportunities and initiatives, and would be updated to reflect how funds were allocated across the Township in line with the identified priorities.

 

DECIDED – (1) that the detail included in the Townships Plan 2017-19 as appended to the submitted report be noted;

 

(2) that it be noted that the plan has been developed in consultation with the Leader, the Portfolio Holder and the Township Chairs.  Consultation had also taken place with additional Elected Members in line with Township Chairs’ recommendations.

 

(3) that the plan be approved to enable a focus on local priorities in line with the Council’s three key priorities – Prosperity, People and Place.

 

Eligible for call in - yes