Venue: Zoom Meeting
Contact: Alison James Committee and Constitutional Services Officer
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Wardle.
Declarations of Interest
Members are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary, personal or personal and prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests relating to items on this agenda and/or indicate if S106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.
There were no declarations of interest.
Urgent Items of Business
To determine whether there are any additional items of business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chair decides should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.
There were no urgent items of business.
To consider the Minutes of the meeting of the Middleton Township Committee held on 30th July 2020.
1. That the minutes of the meeting of the Middleton Township held on 30th July 2020 be approved and signed as a correct record by the Chair.
To consider a presentation from the Director of Neighbourhoods.
The Committee received a presentation relating to the Play Strategy that was currently in development. The Strategy would be a 10 year strategy and was needed to:
• To move management methods from reacting to circumstances to a planned and progressive method;
• To enable Councillors inform the actions of Officers;
• For new s106 legal processes at the Planning Application stage;
• Everyone pulling together to achieve the shared aims.
The Committee was given an outline of some initial proposals for the Township and the next steps in the process would be:
• Consultation with Townships to agree Township specific action plans within the wider strategy;
• Township agree actions on any decisions around existing over and under provision and cross Ward boundary decisions;
• Adopting the strategy via report to Cabinet;
• Ongoing review process with Township / Ward Members so the action plan for the Township is kept up to date.
It was noted that site visits could be undertaken with Ward Members to discuss any particular issues in each ward.
1. That the presentation be noted.
Eligible for call in – no
To consider a report of the Director of Economy relating to Section 106 funding for play provision.
The Committee considered the report of the Director of Economy which sought approval to allocate funds currently held from Section 106 Open Space contributions in Middleton to contribute to improvements to play facilities at Hollin Play Area and in Alkrington.
The Council is required to spend Section 106 contributions in accordance with legal agreements and local and national planning policy. Not bringing forward projects to spend Section 106 contributions in accordance with these agreements and policies risk the loss of investment in local facilities, and the refunding of monies held from Section 106 contributions where there is a time limited period for spend.
Proposals put forward in this report have been the subject of consultation with Ward Members and reflect their priorities. The use of resources has been considered to maximise the funding available.
In considering the submitted report, the Committee discussed Section 106 funding in general terms and requested that further information on the amount of Section 106 funding available to the Township and the criteria for allocating funds be submitted to the next meeting.
1. That the allocation of £10,123 from Section 106 Open Space contributions to improvements to play facilities at Hollin Play Area be approved;
2. That the allocation of £28,910 from Section 106 Open Space contributions to provide a new play facilities in Alkrington be approved.
3. That a report on the amount of Section 106 funding available to the Township and the criteria for allocating funds be submitted to the next meeting.
Reasons for the decision:
Middleton Township Members have previously requested that all Section 106 Open Space funded schemes be approved by Members by way of a report to an appropriate committee. A similar process of reporting exists in all other Townships.
Costed schemes have been prepared by the Council’s Environmental Management Service and are supported by Ward Councillors.
The schemes are within the parameters of the Section 106 agreements and the Council’s ‘Provision of Recreational Open Space in New Housing’ Supplementary Planning Document.
Further information about Section 106 funding was requested by Members.
Eligible for call in - yes