Agenda and minutes

Venue: Middleton Arena - LCpl Joel Halliwell VC Way, Middleton, Manchester M24 1AG. View directions

Contact: Alison James  Senior Committee Services Officer

Items
No. Item

28.

Apologies

To receive any apologies for absence.

29.

Declarations of Interest

Members are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary, personal or personal and prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests relating to items on this agenda and/or indicate if S106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.   

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

30.

Urgent Items of Business

To determine whether there are any additional items of business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chair decides should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items of business.

31.

Items for Exclusion of Public and Press

To determine any items on the agenda, if any, where the public are to be excluded from the meeting.

Minutes:

There were no items for the Exclusion of Public and Press.

32.

Marvellous Middleton

Video presentation from the children of St Peter’s RC Primary School.

Minutes:

The Committee were shown a video presentation from pupils of St Peter’s RC Primary School entitled Marvellous Middleton.

 

Resolved:

 

1.    That St Peters RC Primary School be thanked for their excellent video and that subject to obtaining the appropriate permissions, it be shared via the Council website.

33.

Health and Social Care Integration

Presentation by the Adult Care Service.

Minutes:

The Committee received a presentation from Steve Blezard (RBC) relating to Integrated Health and Social Care Neighbourhood Teams.

 

The presentation outlined the:

 

·         Rationale for integrated neighbourhood teams;

·         Why there were six neighbourhoods in the Borough;

·         The map showing the neighbourhoods;

·         Staff within the Team;

·         Changes that had happened since the Team was formed;

·         Specific Township issues;

 

Members welcomed the new structure and requested that it be communicated

more widely.

 

1. That the presentation be welcomed and noted.

34.

Open Forum

Half an hour has been set aside for members of the public to raise any issues relevant to the business of the Committee and the Township.

 

 

 

Minutes:

The following matters were raised as part of the Open Forum:

 

a)    Mellalieu Street – Traffic Calming Measures

 

The Committee considered questions and comments from Mr Bennett asking for an update in regard to the provision of traffic calming measures on Mellalieu Street.

 

The Highways Officer informed the Committee that he would look into this matter and come back to the Committee with proposals on how the issues with speeding traffic could be resolved.

 

b)    Sefton Road

 

The Committee considered questions and comments from Ms Walker and Ms Rodgers and other local residents, relating to damage that had been caused to the historically important wall and towers on Sefton Road by a HGV accessing a local business.

 

The Council had temporarily made the structure safe but there had been issues with establishing ownership for any long term maintenance and repair.

 

Committee members were supportive of local residents and the repair of the historically important structure, which the Council had repaired previously and asked the Highways Officer to look at how much repairs would cost and to continue to try to establish ownership and liability for the maintenance and repair of the structure going forwards.

 

The Police were involved in the incident relating to the damage done by the HGV and Inspector Wood agreed to contact residents with any further update.

 

c)     Archer Park Traffic

 

Ms Jepson informed the Committee about the concerns of local residents about traffic issues in the Archer Park area. The Highways Officer was requested to look into what measures could be put in place to alleviate the issues.

 

d)    Age Friendly Council

 

In reply to a question from Mr Ettenfield about what ‘Age Friendly’ meant to the Committee, the Assistant Portfolio Holder for Adult Care, Councillor Dale provided information about projects and initiatives both within the Township and Boroughwide and also about opportunities for the public to be involved.

35.

Minutes - Middleton Township Committee pdf icon PDF 54 KB

To consider the Minutes of the Middleton Township Committee held on 14th November 2019.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

That the Minutes of the meeting of the Middleton Township Committee held on 14th November 2019 be approved and signed as a correct record.

 

36.

Minutes - Middleton Township Devolved Funding and Devolved Services Sub-Committee pdf icon PDF 55 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meeting of the Middleton Township Devolved Funding and Devolved Services Sub-Committee held on 19th December 2019.

Minutes:

Resolved:

 

That the Minutes of the meeting of the Middleton Township Devolved Funding and Devolved Services Sub-Committee held on 19th December 2019 be approved and signed as a correct record.

37.

Results of Residents Parking Consultation - Durnford Street Area, Middleton pdf icon PDF 1 MB

To consider the results of a residents parking consultation - Durnford Street Area, Middleton.

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods that outlined the results of a consultation on residents parking in the Durnford Street area.

 

A request was received from Middleton Township for the Council to undertake a consultation with local residents of the Durnford Street area of Middleton to gauge opinion on a future residents parking scheme.

 

In recent years concerns have been raised by local residents relating to non-resident vehicles parking outside properties in the area during working hours. Although this is not illegal and no person has a right to reserve a space on the highway, the practice is causing inconvenience to local residents

 

A consultation leaflet was distributed to all residential properties within the proposed zone on 20th August 2019. The deadline for responses was 12th September 2019.

 

Responses were received from 45.7% of the properties which were consulted, with 67.78% of respondents voting in support of the scheme and 32.22% voting against.  The supporters of the scheme represent 30.98% of the total number of consultees.

 

The report outlined the full results of the consultation.

 

The Committee considered representations from residents who were supporting a residents parking scheme in the area and from residents who had concerns about the scheme in its current format. Questions submitted by residents for the Open Forum relating to this matter were also considered.

 

Resolved:

 

That in view of the issues raised by local residents relating to the proposed scheme that consideration be deferred to enable further investigation into the issues raised at the meeting.

38.

2020 - 2022 Highways Capital Programme pdf icon PDF 118 KB

To consider the 2020 - 2022 Highways Capital Programme.

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which sought approval of indicative highways work programmes which were proposed to take place during the 2020/21 and 2021/22 financial years.

 

The programmes included the following –

  • 2 year local transport plan (LTP) funded capital programme;
  • 2 year bridges and structures capital maintenance programme;

 

Alternatives considered:

 

No alternatives have been considered. The programme has been developed according to DfT guidance and in line with other GM Authorities. 

 

Resolved:

 

  1. That the highways work programmes to be delivered in 2020/21 and 2021/22 as circulated to Members be noted and approved in principle, subject to any final amendments being submitted to the Highways Service.

 

Reasons for the recommendation:

 

The schemes that have been selected have been put together based on the principles of asset management which use network condition data, engineer inspections, life cycle planning and cost efficiency to produce the most efficient highway improvement over the course of the programmes.

 

Using Asset management techniques for scheme selection ensures that they are in line with recommendations from the Department for Transport (DfT) which enables the full funding allocation from the DfT incentive fund scheme. Authorities that are deemed not to be carrying out efficient highway improvements can have funding reduced and in the case of Rochdale, the maximum reduction would be £410k.

 

39.

Townships Plan 2020-2022 pdf icon PDF 96 KB

To consider the Townships Plan for 2020 – 2022.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which outlined the Townships Plan for 2020-2022.

 

The Council’s Corporate Plan 2019-2022 has now been agreed.  The process included carrying out a review of the Council’s values and behaviours which are now Proud, Passionate, Pioneering and Open.

 

In line with the new Corporate Plan, the Townships Plan 2020–2022 has been developed around the following priorities: Prosperous People and Places.

 

Township Chairs and Vice Chairs worked with the Portfolio Holder for Neighbourhoods, Community and Culture to produce the new Townships Plan.

 

Alternatives considered:

 

No alternatives to having the Plan were put forward.

 

Resolved:

 

  1. That the detail included in the Townships Plan 2020-2022 appended to the report be noted:
  2. It be noted that the plan has been developed in consultation with the Portfolio Holder, Township Chairs and Vice Chairs in line with priorities identified in the Council’s Corporate Plan 2019-2022;
  3. That the Plan be approved to allow the Townships to focus on local priorities in line with the Council’s key priorities – Prosperous People and Places.

 

Reasons for the decision:

 

The Townships Plan identifies priorities determined by each Township’s Councillors as a focus for action over the next two years. This plan gathers aspirations and ideas together as a focus for decision makers, Council Services, partner agencies and the voluntary and community sector active in the Rochdale Borough. The Townships Plan identifies priorities determined by each Township’s Councillors as a focus for action over the next two years. This plan gathers aspirations and ideas together as a focus for decision makers, Council Services, partner agencies and the voluntary and community sector active in the Rochdale Borough.

 

The Townships Plan 2017-2019 is due to expire. The Townships Plan 2020-2022 includes objectives identified to meet the priorities identified by each of the five Townships. It will also guide and direct and detail the use of devolved budgets, including Township Revenue Funds, for the financial years 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22.

 

The Townships Plan forms part of the Council’s policy framework. The plan is a live document that can evolve and change to meet new opportunities and initiatives, and can be updated to reflect changes as we move forward.

 

 

40.

Claim of Footpath from Manchester Old Road to the Rear of 564 Manchester Old Road, Middleton pdf icon PDF 183 KB

Minutes:

The Committee considered the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which related to the Claim of Footpath from Manchester Old Road to the Rear of 564 Manchester Old Road, Middleton.

 

The report stated that it was considered that no reasonable public rights exist and that there is no presumed dedication.  It was recommended that the Council should not proceed with a map modification order to add a footpath to the definitive map and statement running from Manchester Old Road to the rear of Manchester Old Road, Middleton Rochdale.

 

Alternatives considered:

 

The alternative was to accept the evidence and proceed with a Definitive Map Modification order to add a footpath to the definitive map and statement and to ensure a footpath is available for public use.

 

Resolved:

 

1.    That the Committee does consider that reasonable public rights exist and that South Ward Councillors will work with local residents, the wider public and Officers towards proceeding with a map modification order to add a footpath to the definitive map and statement for the area described within the report

 

 

Reasons for the recommendation:

 

The Committee considers that reasonable public rights do exist and that the Council should move forward towards proceeding with a map modification order from Manchester Old Road to the Rear of 564 Manchester Old Road, Middleton.