Agenda and minutes

Venue: Castleton Community Centre, Manchester Road, Castleton, Rochdale OL11 3AF. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson - Tel: 01706 924343 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

Introductions were made and all were welcomed to the meeting.  The code of conduct was circulated.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

Minutes of last meeting/Matters arising/Updates pdf icon PDF 66 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 4 June 2019 were approved and the following updates given.

Cherrington Drive road surface
Issue raised previously that the pavement and roadway outside 7 Cherrington Drive was subsiding.  Township Officer still awaiting update from Highways and she has raised the matter as urgent.

3.

Greater Manchester Police

Minutes:

Forthcoming PACT dates for 2019 are as follows:

Castleton Community Centre (7-8pm)

24 September 2019

22 October 2019

19 November 2019

17 December 2019


PC Farmer gave an update to the forum on ‘Op Considerate’ as the matter of speeding was raised by residents.  In the recent operation, the following stats were recorded of the 52 vehicles pulled in by officers:

24 - VOSA checks
12 – No seat belt
5 – Use of a mobile phone
4 – Number plate offences
2 – No insurance
1 – Drug offences

Another operation will take place in the next few months and PC Farmer will raise the residents’ requests to target the areas of Manchester Road, Royle Barn Road, Lynton Avenue and Smalley Street.

Another safe number plate initiative event will be held on Saturday 14 September 2019 at 10–12 noon on the car park of Castleton Community Centre, everyone welcome.

Domestic burglaries in the ward have not seen any specific cluster in an area to report, but there has been a spike in commercial properties being targeted with planned attacks being carried out to steal high value goods and safes.  GMP appealed to residents to be super vigilant about any unusual activity and to report any concerns to the Police.

Other matters recently reported to GMP include ASB at the golf club involving children throwing golf balls at cars, reports of moped activity around Chesham Avenue and a seize of a cannabis farm containing 30-40 plants.

A query was raised by a resident concerning the one-way street at Railway Street turning right into Heywood Road, with cars driving the wrong way.  PC Farmer stated the area could be looked at again by GMP or it could be included in a community initiative in the future.

4.

Tetrosyl

Minutes:

Residents discussed the issue of Tetrosyl due to the fact that on 8 August 2019 the Council had received an amended planning application.  This application is for the storage of chemicals at the lower tier level which is below the threshold which would require prior consent from the HSE.  However, the HSE has advised residents that they will still deal with the company under legislation governing Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and report any findings back to residents.  Two requests were made by residents as follows:

1.      Residents would like to meet with a representative from the Council’s Planning Department again.

2.      Residents asked for help and support from their local Ward Councillors.

 

Councillor Hornby updated the forum that the current position of Rochdale Borough Council’s Planning Department is until they receive advice from the HSE, they cannot determine the current application.  Also once Planning receives the HSE update, they will speak first with the local Ward Councillors who will in turn, speak to residents.

Other matters concerning Tetrosyl were raised by residents; razor wire on top of the perimeter wall adjacent to Smalley Street, noise from the movement of trucks in the yard out of hours and also the excessive security lighting, all of which being regarding by residents as impacting on their wellbeing and enjoyment of their properties.  Residents asked for these matters to be raised with the Council’s Planning and Environmental Health Departments.
Action 1: Townships to raise these matters with the Council’s Planning and Environmental Health Departments and report back any findings.

5.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Former video shop site
A resident queried when the Council will take a stance with the owners of the site of the former video shop.  Councillor Hornby stated she has been on the case for the past ten years and discussions had taken place regarding a compulsory purchase order.

Former Dunlop site development
A resident spoke about their concerns over the proposed development situated on the former Dunlop site, in particular the impact it would cause to the highway network and demands on the local infrastructure.  Highways have told residents that there will not be any change to the current traffic calming features on Royle Barn Road, although they have confirmed that an additional exit road from the estate has now been added.  Residents would like to know when the application will be determined.  Other residents queried air readings along Royle Barn Road with the increasing traffic frequenting it and requested an assessment is made by the Council.
Action 2: Townships to raise these matters with the Council’s Planning and Environmental Health Departments and report back.

Air pollution levels
A resident requested an update on the air pollution levels and the Chair directed them to the following websites:

Air quality monitoring results available at https://www.cleanairgm.com/what-we-are-doing/air-quality-reports

Declared Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) details available at https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/aqma/maps.

A resident requested that air testing is carried out around the traffic calming area of Royle Barn Road (specifically towards the Tesco’s end).
Action 3: Townships to raise this request with the Council’s Environmental Health Department and report back.

Smalley Street flooding
Residents from Smalley Street requested the forum escalate their issue of flooded cellars again to the Council’s Highways Department as they stated they feel nothing has been done about it and United Utilities have investigated the matter fully, stating it is not their responsibility.  Residents also would like the Council Highways Department to contact the adjacent Comrades Club as the delivery drivers to the site regularly bounce large heavy barrels on the newly laid concrete surface which could be adding to problems.
Action 4: Townships to raise these matters with the Council’s Highways Department and report back.

6.

Reports

Minutes:

Castleton EC Residents
No update.

Friends of Carnegie Castleton
The building has now been officially registered with the address The Old Carnegie Library, 881 Manchester Road, Castleton, Rochdale.  Members of the Carnegie Society would like any local residents who have old photographs of the building or any information about its heritage to contact them.  Residents are welcome to join the society for a subscription of £4 per year.  The building is open to the general public Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 10.30am – 2.30pm and if any groups would like to book a room at any other times for meetings or functions, etc. it is chargeable at a flat rate of £25 per hour and includes tea and biscuits.  An open day will be held at St Aiden’s Church between 10am – 12 noon on Saturday 14 September 2019.

Friends of Castleton Station/Support the Oldham, Rochdale & Manchester Rail Lines/East Lancs Railway
No update.

St. Gabriel’s
No update.

Rochdale Township in Bloom
Results day will be at the end of October 2019 and Councillor Hornby noted that there had been yet another fantastic entry this year.

7.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

The Chair appealed to residents to invite other local residents, friends, family and neighbours to the area forum.

Councillor Sheerin provided a written update in his absence as follows:

·           Castleton Masterplan – a meeting is scheduled this week to further develop this plan.

·           Leander Drive – road resurfacing is now complete and good feedback has been received from local residents.

·           GM Spatial Framework – the consultation period has now ended and the scheme has been put on hold over controversy concerning the numbers of houses that are actually required.

·           Cycle Lanes in Castleton – consultation and findings are due imminently.

 

No additional matters were raised.

8.

Date and time of next meeting

Minutes:

Tuesday 19 November 2019 at 7pm at Castleton Community Centre.