Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Andy Dawson - Tel No. 01706 924859 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

Minutes:

Andy Dawson introduced himself to the forum and thanked everyone for attending.

Members of the forum were asked if anyone would like to chair the Central Area Forum.  Beryl Lloyd came forward to chair the meeting and forum members were asked if there were any objections.  No objections were received.

The chair introduced herself to the forum.

Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.  Apologies were received from Mila Gergel, Elizabeth Butler, Annmarrie Lewis and Tony Thomas.

2.

Flood Awareness Scheme pdf icon PDF 188 KB

Minutes:

Sarah Parkington was introduced to the forum.

Residents were informed of the Defra Pathfinder Scheme which is a project to help people in flood prone areas to become more prepared for flooding. Wardleworth is only one of thirteen areas across the country to be offered this help and residents were encouraged to take advantage of this offer of help. There are workshops that residents and affected businesses can attend to become more flood aware, prepared and assist with producing a flood plan.

There is a forum for residents to discuss their concerns of flooding on 25 June 2014 at 6:00pm in the community room at the new fire station on Halifax Road, Rochdale  OL12 9BD.

There are two workshops for businesses in Central Rochdale and Heywood which will look at defining risks to businesses and business continuity, protecting the most valuable assets, how to produce an effective flood plan that will help to maintain business and recovery from flooding if the worse happens.

The events are run by Groundwork and the National Flood Forum and are held on:
Thursday 3 July 2014 – 9:00am to 12:00pm at the Rochdale Council Offices, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale and Thursday 3 July 2014 – 2:30pm – 5:30pm at the Civic Centre, LCpl Stephen Shaw MC Way, Heywood  OL10 1LW.

Sarah informed the forum that if anyone would like to get involved please speak to her after the meeting.

Sarah was thanked for attending the forum.

3.

Minutes from last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 53 KB

Minutes:

It was noted that Entwisle Road and Belfield Road Traffic Calming Scheme is not mentioned in the minutes after it was discussed at the last Central Rochdale Forum.

Maud Street Leak
It was reported that despite raising this at the last meeting this leak is still there and has been for the last five years according to residents.
Action (1) Liaise with Strategic Housing Services (Andy Dawson)

Taylor Street
The current traffic problems were discussed and residents suggested that to make Taylor Street to Red Lane two-way would alleviate this problem.  Councillors suggested that Taylor Street and Foxholes Road needs the grass verges removed outside the terraced houses, however, funding needs to be sought.

Entwisle Road Surface
There were reports that the road is crumbling in various areas, particularly opposite the Leisure Centre and opposite Aldi.  Residents reported dangerously large puddles during heavy downpours, which had led to cars swerving and near misses.  The response from Highways is “We are presently in contact with United Utilities regards them coming back to re- patch this stretch of road”.  The delay in the repairs could be due to the traffic calming scheme in the area which is imminent.

Molesworth Street/Smith Street Traffic Lights
A question was asked around why there is only one set of lights on the Molesworth Street side of this junction, travelling in the direction of John Street, when most junctions have an additional traffic light at the opposite of the junction?  Residents were informed that “There are both primary and secondary signal heads at the junction. The secondary signal is what is called close associated and is positioned on the approach side of the junction because of the way the signals operate. The arrangement is in full compliance with the requirements of the Department of Transport.” Residents raised concerns that there is no sound for the visually impaired when the lights are on red and there are no buttons to press to stop traffic in places that the visually impaired feel they are needed.
Action (2) Contact Highways and ask the question (Andy Dawson)

Ramsay Street Parking
It was reported that staff from Number One Riverside regularly park inconsiderately on Ramsay Street, often blocking in residents, and often parking dangerously close to junctions. Residents were informed that a note has been included in the global staff bulletin which was read to residents highlighting the problem.  Residents mentioned that the problem still persists and cars also park close to junctions making it difficult for other road users to safely come out of a junction.

Councillor Ahmed suggested that there should be some form of scheme for residents which need to be looked into together with more Traffic Enforcement Patrols.
Action (3) Contact Highways to look into feasibility of schemes and inform Traffic Enforcement Team of parking issues (Andy Dawson)
Action (4) Contact Comms and ask for it to be included in another staff bulletin (Andy Dawson)

Ward News
Residents and Ward Councillors asked where Evangelanos Community Café was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Greater Manchester Police and Community Safety

Minutes:

There was no attendance from Greater Manchester Police.  Request Police attendance.   If GMP cannot attend residents asked if a written update can be obtained.
Action (6) Contact GMP (Andy Dawson)

5.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Litter in the Area
A resident mentioned that when bins are being emptied sometimes litter from the bins falls onto the floor in the process.  However, when this happens the bin men leave the rubbish on the floor leaving the area untidy.
Action (7) Contact Environmental Management (Andy Dawson)

Residents were informed of the updates from Environmental Management to alleviate any questions which may already be highlighted for action or have already been taken care of.

The updates from Environmental Management included the Old Unit on Edward Street which has been empty for years.  Residents mentioned that children are entering the derelict building via scaffolding.
Action (8) Contact Asset Management and inform them (Andy Dawson)

Edward Street Access
Residents mentioned that on a Friday when there are Friday prayers at the Mosque, ambulances and the Ring and Ride cannot gain access due to inconsiderate parked cars.
Action (9) Inform local Mosques of the parking situation (Ward Councillors/Residents)

Jack McGann Court
At the perimeter of the gardens at Jack McGann Court the plants and trees are over grown.  Councillor Ali informed the forum that he has been in contact with Peter Smith from Sheltered Accommodation about the problem.

304 Yorkshire Street and Edward Street are encountering similar problems as Jack McGann Court.  The forum was informed that Rochdale Boroughwide Housing are aware of the problem and it is being dealt with.

Oswald Street private properties
Residents asked if there was any money to refurbish private properties as they were promised by a former Councillor that they would be.  This issue comes up regularly at the forum and the same response is provided. The forum was again informed that there is no money available for regeneration of the area and if they are private properties the owner is responsible for maintaining their own property. The forum was also informed that if money was available for regeneration residents would be informed and consulted. Ward Councillors requested that an official letter from the Council to the residents concerned should be sent to advise that there is no money available for regeneration.
Action (10) Contact Strategic Housing and request a letter is sent to the residents concerned (Andy Dawson)

Greenbank Road/Fieldhouse Road Speeding Cars
Residents raised concerns that there are a lot of speeding cars on these roads and it is only a matter of time before there is going to be an accident.  Residents were advised to ring GMP on each occasion with the description and if possible the registration numbers of the cars as it will be more likely to be highlighted as a hot spot.
Action (11) Contact GMP to report speeding cars (Residents)

34 West Street
Councillor Ahmed mentioned that a number of years ago Strategic Housing promised to put a fence around the above property.  The forum was again informed that there is no money available to refurbish private properties and that if they are private properties the owner is responsible for maintaining their own property.  Councillor Ahmed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Environmental Management and Enforcement Update

Minutes:

The updates had already been provided.

7.

Ward News

Minutes:

The Big Games 2014
Residents were informed of The Big Games 2014 which is being held at Touchstones and Broadfield Park on Saturday 12 July 2014 between 11:00am and 3:00pm.  It is for all ages, just turn up and and there are prizes to be won.  Resident were provided with leaflets informing them of the event (http://www.link4life.org/whats-on/big-games-2014)

Individual Electoral Registration – The Transition
The forum was informed that Instead of using a household form to register to vote, everyone will take individual responsibility for their own registration.

In order to apply, a person will need to provide their National Insurance Number and date of birth.  This information will be used to verify that the person making the application is who they say they are and will in turn reduce the risk of fraud and inaccurate entries on the register.

With IER, for the first time, people will also be able to register online.  IER will make registering to vote safer and more convenient.

http://www.westsomersetonline.gov.uk/getattachment/Council---Democracy/Elections---Voting/Electoral-Registration/Register-to-Vote/Individual-Electoral-Registration.pdf.aspx

8.

Date and time of the next meeting

Minutes:

6:30pm – 8:30pm
Thursday 18 September 2014
Wardleworth Community Centre