Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Katie Moore - Tel No. 01706 924770 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

Minutes:

The Chair introduced herself to the meeting and thanked everyone for attending. Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

Apologies were received from M. Gergel, T. Mila, S. Hussain (Youth Service), R. Hartley, E. Butler (Making Space) and Councillor Ahmed.

2.

Minutes from last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 252 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting on 19 June 2014 were approved as a true record.

Updates:

Maud Street Leak
Strategic Housing have been to Maud Street on a number of occasions and have spoken with the resident at 95.  She has no problems and said there are no empty properties to her knowledge.  Looking down the rear alley and adjoining back yards and could find no problems.  There was a question as to whether outside no.93 has a new water main connection recently done.

Molesworth Street/Smith Street Traffic Lights
A response has been received from Highways as follows:

“There are both primary and secondary signal heads at the junction.  The secondary signal is what is called close associated and is positioned on the approach side of the junction because of the way the signals operate.  The arrangement is in full compliance with the requirements of the Department of Transport.”

Ramsay Street Parking
This issue has been included in the Council’s staff bulletin.  It has also been raised with Highways and we are awaiting a response.

Ward News
The Evangelanos Community Café is located at Hebron Pentecostal Church Premises, Howard Street, Rochdale.

Greater Manchester Police
GMP were contacted and invited to the meeting.  GMP were in attendance at the meeting and provided an update.

Litter in the Area
A resident mentioned that when bins are being emptied sometimes litter from the bins falls onto the floor in the process.  This issue has been reported to Environmental Management.

The Old Unit on Edward Street
Asset Management visited the site and could see no issues.

Edward Street Access
Councillor Ali confirmed that the mosque has been contacted about the issues raised around parking.

Oswald Street private properties and 34 West Street
Both issues have been raised with Strategic Housing and we are awaiting a response.

3.

Greater Manchester Police and Community Safety

Minutes:

PCSO Palmer and Sergeant Nicholson attended the forum.  They apologised for not being able to attend the last few meetings.

Crime figures for the last quarter were as follows:

Type

July to Sept 2014

April to June 2014

Burglary (dwelling)

12

13

Criminal damage

38

29

Drug Offences

17

17

Theft

16

11

Theft (motor vehicles)

6

6

 

Residents asked about the number of crimes which lead to an arrest and hearing in court.  It was agreed that they would try and access this information and present it at the next forum.
Action 1: Obtain details of crimes resulting in arrest, hearing and prosecution (GMP)

Residents reported ongoing concerns over suspected drug activity that is taking place in the car park located at the back of Yorkshire Street.  It was highlighted that between 4pm and 4am is the most problematic time.  This was noted by the police to investigate.

Concerns were raised about a young man seen rummaging through recycling bins for about half an hour.  The resident advised they contacted the police at the time of the event.

A resident advised of an aggressive male beggar who operates around Halifax and Santander Banks.  It was believed the man in question is also accompanied by a female spotter who alerts him when the police are near by.  The police stated there is very good CCTV coverage in the town centre, but noted the concerns.

There was also other concerns about drug activity taking place around South Street, East Street and West Street.  There is a paved square area behind the terraces which seems to be attracting this type of criminal behaviour.  It was suggested this area was very dark and perhaps lighting could be considered.

Action 2: Councillor Ali to contact Highways about a lighting column (Councillor Ali)

The illegal mending of motor vehicles at the top of Trafalgar Street was also brought to the forum’s attention.
Action 3: Report to Trading Standards (Township Officer)

A street light appears to be broken behind 8 Copenhagen Street.
Action 4: Report broken street light to Highways (Township Officer)

Problems with street drinkers on Redcross Street was reported. GMP confirmed that they are working with the Council’s Licensing and Enforcement Team to address this issue.

ASB and street drinking was also reported at Roach Place and Kitchen Street.  It was thought that those involved are 18-25 year olds. This issue was noted by the police and it was agreed that these areas would be added to their patrol plans.  In addition, loud music was reported coming from Roach Place.  The police advised they were aware of this problem.
Action 5: Add Roach Place and Kitchen Street to patrol plans (GMP)

The police advised that they are still patrolling around
Jack McCann Court, however, are not receiving enough calls.

It was reported that a window was smashed on Oswald Street in August, however, feedback has yet to be received  from the police.

Action 6: Provide update on incident on Oswald Street (GMP)

The police  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.

4.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Entwistle Arms
A short presentation was provided by Franck Hunt who came to the forum to seek their support in asking Rochdale Council to list the Entwistle Arms as an asset of community value.  Listing something as an asset of community value gives people the chance to bid to buy and take over the running of assets that are of value to the local community.  Franck explained that the Entwistle Arms is due to be closed.  The forum agreed to support this action.

Alleyways Clean Ups
Residents asked who is responsible for the clearing of alleyways.  Lindsay confirmed that gated alleyways are private land, therefore, the responsibility of the residents to clear up.  The Council can assist in writing to residents to ask them to clear it up and this has helped in that people keep an eye out for those who are dumping in the alleyways.  Residents are encouraged to report fly tipping and those responsible for doing it.

Dog Fouling
Reports of dog fouling around George Street and Ball Street.
Action 8: Action to be taken by Environmental Management (Lindsay Dunn)

Area Clean Ups
Litter around South Street, the Park, Bradshaw Street and Edward Street was reported as being a problem.  One reason is due to the lack of bins.  In general the Area Forum stated the whole area needs a tidy up.  The street cleaners are being prevented getting around some areas due to parked cars, in particular in the areas used by Council staff.
Action 9: Report issues to Environmental Management and request clean ups (Township Officer)

Street Signs
There was a suggestion that each street sign should have a postcode on.

Missing grids
After the cleaning of grids, there have been reports that some iron grids are missing as they have been dropped down the gutters.  Areas that have been effected include Oswald Street, West Street and South Street.
Action 10: Report missing grids at Oswald Street, West Street and South Street (Township Officer)

Flooding on Yorkshire Street and West Street
When is it raining, there is flooding on Yorkshire Street and outside the jewellers on West Street.  This problem usually occurs when there has been constant rain.
Action 11: Report to Highways (Township Officer)

Additional Area Forum
Attendance at Area Forums was discussed and the possibility of having two Area Forums in the ward with the view to making it more accessible.
Action 12: Discuss feasibility of an additional Area Forum in the ward with Principal Townships Officer (Councillor Ali)

Blocked drains on Yorkshire Street
Blocked drains were reported outside 147 Yorkshire Street and along the road.
Action 13: Report clearing of gullies/drains request to Highways (Township Officer)

Red Lane Road Markings
Road markings on Red Lane require renewal as drivers are turning left on a right turn only road.
Action 14: Request a refresh of road markings on Red Lane (Township Officer)

Street Sign at Whitworth Road and Taylor Street Junction
A request was received for a street sign on Whitworth Road  ...  view the full minutes text for item 4.

5.

Environmental Management and Enforcement Update

Minutes:

Lindsay Dunn provided a short presentation which gave an outline of the EE002- Waste Services Review Consultation.  Members of the public are being invited to read and submit their views to the Council on their saving plans.  More information can be found on the Council’s website or alternatively you can also leave your comments in person at libraries and customer service centres across the borough.

The consultation during this meeting resulted in the following suggestions:

·           Put stickers on bins to help identify what goes in the them

·           Need education around what can go in each bin

·           Can house numbers go on bins?

·           Put short videos on recycling on the Council’s website

·           Use same coloured bins across Greater Manchester

 

A resident form Jack McCann Court advised that they do not have any recycling facilities.
Action 17: Look into getting recycling facilities for Jack McCann Court (Lindsay Dunn)

It was reported that there is a lot of rubbish around the take away on Yorkshire Street, West Street, East Street and Trafalgar Street.  It was asked that the take away be spoken to about the litter problem.
Action 18: Report to Environmental Management (Township Officer)

6.

Ward News

Minutes:

A family fun day was held in partnership with Wardleworth Community Centre.  The project was funded by the vInspired Cashpoint scheme which offers young people (14-25 year olds) grants of up to £500 to change the things they care about in their communities.  The event was enjoyed by all.

Doulot Miah (Community Centre Manager) says: “It was lovely to see so many people taking part in such a great community event.  The community centre was packed and there were over 200 young people and children present.  This event was a great success with plenty of activities going on to keep children of all ages happy, while their parents savoured the various stalls that were set up by local people.  The local young volunteers were fantastic, they organised and ran the event very well along with my staff Afzal Miah, ensuring everyone went home with a huge smile on their face.  I could not be more proud of them.”

To find out more about the activities and events being organised contact the community centre on 01706 342889.  To apply for a vInspired Cashpoint grant visit:
www.vinspired.com/cashpoint.

7.

Date and time of the next meeting

Minutes:

Thursday 11 December 2014
6.30pm-8.30pm