Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

24.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 23 KB

Minutes:

The meeting was chaired by Beryl Lloyd. The Chair introduced and welcomed all to the meeting and reminded Forum members to observe and respect the code of conduct.

25.

PACT meeting - Greater Manchester Police

Minutes:

The Forum was informed that since the last meeting domestic burglaries had been reduced by 50%, theft from vehicles had reduced, theft of vehicles had risen, theft of pedal cycles had risen and an increase in domestically related assaults / harassment had been reported.

26.

Minutes of last meeting, matters arising and updates pdf icon PDF 80 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the Central Rochdale Area Forum held on Thursday 11 June 2015 were approved as a correct record.

 

Matters arising and updates included:

 

Action 1: Figures on the number of behaviour contracts issued?

 

Response: Fourteen Anti-Social Behaviour Contracts were issued during September 2014/2015.

 

Action 2: A resident raised concerns about refuse collections being hindered because of inconsiderate parking particularly on Kitchen Street, Ramsay Street and Ramsay Terrace.

 

Response: A site visit would be undertaken and costings sought regarding the siting of bollards in the area.

 

Action 3: It was reported that the commercial bin on Trafalgar Square / Copenhagen Street had not been removed.

 

Response: Information had been received to say that the bin would be removed within four weeks.

 

Action 4: A resident asked if benches could be placed on the land at the rear of Morley Street.

 

Response: Job complete.

 

Action 5: A resident asked if it would be possible to erect fencing along Hey Brook situated at the back of Morley Street / Hector Avenue.

 

Response: The Forum was informed that the land was not Council owned.

 

Action 6: A number of blocked gullies were reported on Whitworth Road, West Street and Yorkshire Street.

 

Response: Reported via Contact Centre.

 

Action 7: A resident asked if the sign / advertising board that is placed on land near to Clementina Street, off Whitworth Road could be removed.

 

Response: Job complete.

 

Action 8: Concerns were raised about the building work being carried out at the rear of the Ruchi Restaurant on Whitworth Road and if this complied with planning permission.

 

Response: Legal proceedings ongoing.

 

Action 9: A resident raised concerns regarding the damage that was being caused to a number of grass verges in the Ward by contractors.

 

Response: Incidents reported. However in cases of this nature the contractor has six months to carry out any remedial work.

 

Action 10: A resident raised concerns about the inconsiderate parking of private hire vehicles on Princess Street, off Whitworth Road near to Globe Taxis. It was believed that a bollard would resolve this problem.

 

Response: Ongoing.

 

Action 11: A resident raised concerns about noise problems from Regenda properties on East Street.

 

Response: Reported.

 

Action 12: A question was asked about the frequency of grass cutting on the land close to Hey Brook at the back of Morley Street.

 

Response: The service aims to cut the grass every two to three weeks.

 

Action 13: Concerns were raised about Hopwood Hall College students using College Bank Way as a route to the college. However there is no footpath access on this busy route.

 

Response: Highways are aware of this issue. However there are no plans in place to address this concern at this moment in time.

 

Action 14: A resident sought clarification on the strategy adopted when replacing street lighting columns.

 

Response: An appropriate officer would be invited to a future meeting of this Area Forum.

 

Action 15: A resident asked if an additional litter bin could be located on West Street.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Representatives from Regenda Homes had been invited to the meeting to discuss the problems being experienced by residents of Regenda properties in the area, primarily those located on Buckingham Street and Trafalgar Street.

 

The Forum was informed that the problems being experienced by householders included the following major issues:

 

·         Significant dampness

·         Significant water damage

·         Poor construction

·         Poor design

 

In addition residents expressed their concerns that some of the properties where in such a poor condition that they were unfit for human habitation and they should be condemned. Regenda should knock the buildings down and start again.

 

Other comments made by those directly affected by the condition of the properties and local Councillors included:

 

repairs carried out had not been done correctly”

kitchen windows are still leaking”

Regenda have not dealt with the problems quickly enough”

flat roofs do not help the situation”

mould and dampness is a problem”

a plan needs to be put in place and acted upon quickly”

Regenda own the properties – they should do the repairs”

residents are losing faith with the company”

residents have not attended tonight because they thought it would achieve   nothing”

residents are not happy about how they are being re-housed, some are  having to move into other areas”

residents need more support”

better communication is needed”

 

Representatives from Regenda understood the frustration being expressed and agreed that communication with residents could have been better. A brief overview of the background to the properties was provided and it was generally accepted that Regenda in purchasing the properties had inherited many of the problems. However Regenda reassured the Forum that the problems are trying to be resolved and discussions are taking place with insurers to understand what is and is not covered and ultimately what can be done.

 

The Forum agreed that more needs to be done to support those residents involved and additional meetings should to be held with all interested parties.

 

The Forum was also informed that a planning application from Regenda Homes had been received with regards to properties for rent being built on the land at Ramsay Place / Ramsay Terrace.

 

Countryside has also commenced  building 71 private rented properties near to Nile Street / Entwistle Road.

 

A young person raised his concerns about the proposed plans to close Gower Street Youth Club. It was explained that there is no other provision in the community and that the Youth Club plays a vital role giving young people a base and focus.

 

The young person asked what the process was for establishing the Youth Club as a community asset and being managed by volunteers. It was agreed that the name of the appropriate officer concerned with community assets would be forwarded to the young person.

 

Action 1: Gary Finch to resolve.

 

A resident also informed the Forum that a number of private / advertising signs had been placed on council assets and should be removed.

 

A number of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

Environmental Management and Enforcement Update

Minutes:

The Forum was informed that during April – August 2015 the following enforcement action had taken place:

 

4 Fixed penalties for dog fouling, littering and illegal tipping.

 

103 Statutory Notices had been issued for untidy alleyways, illegal tipping and untidy gardens.

 

42 Warnings for littering.

 

12 Convictions for illegal tipping to the value of £2159.

 

8 Referrals to legal

 

4 Cautions

 

The new waste recycling scheme was explained. Some concerns were raised about the consultation process that took place about the introduction of the scheme.

29.

Ward News

Minutes:

The following issues were raised:

 

·         A request was made to see if the land at the side of Wardleworth Community Centre could be tidied up. This would allow young people to play sport on the land.

 

Action 2: Gary Finch to investigate.

 

·         A Youth Club session specifically for girls is held 10.30am – 1 pm at Wardleworth Community Centre.

 

 

30.

Date and time of the next meeting

Minutes:

Monday 5th October 2015

St Patrick’s RC Primary School, Foxholes Road, Rochdale

6.30pm – 8.30pm

 

Thursday 10th December 2015

Wardleworth Community Centre

6.30pm – 8.30pm