Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch 

Items
No. Item

77.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

The meeting was chaired by Beryl Lloyd. The Chair welcomed all to the meeting and reminded Forum members to observe and respect the code of conduct.

 

Apologies had been received from Roger Hartley and Afzal Miah.

78.

PACT meeting - Greater Manchester Police

Minutes:

Sgt Glyn Martin attended the meeting for this item.

 

It was reported that during the previous three months the following incidents had been reported:

 

Burglary (dwelling) 14

Aggravated burglary 4

Burglary (other) 23

Theft from motor vehicle 15

Theft of motor vehicle 5

Drug offences 12

Hate crime 1

 

In addition to the above the Forum was informed that two traffic operations (Entwistle Road area) had been undertaken in the Ward following concerns raised by residents about speeding in the area. As a result of these operations numerous drivers had been cautioned / issued with a penalty notice following offences being committed. Offences committed included – speeding, no insurance, no seat belts being worn, alcohol / drug use and mobile phone use.

 

The following comments / question / issues were raised by residents:

 

1.    I’m pleased that traffic operations have been undertaken, however speeding still continues. Wardleworth and Greenbank Road area were cited as problem areas.

 

Response: This is a difficult one to police or eradicate. Only traffic police have the facilities to monitor speeding. There is also extensive traffic calming within the area which should help reduce the prblems.

 

Residents were encouraged to report incidents of speeding on the 101 number with as much detail as possible.

 

2.    Greenbank Road / Maud Street suffers from cars driving the wrong way in the one-way system.

 

Response: This will be reported to enforcement.

 

3.    Ramsay Street, East Street and North Street experienced anti-social behaviour. Loud music, drug dealing and alcohol related problems being identified.

 

Response: The GMP representative present stated he would communicate this information as the areas in question could be registered as hot spots.

 

Residents were again encouraged to report any anti-social behaviour issues on the 101 number with as much information as possible.

 

4.    A resident thanked GMP for the approach during Ramadan, however it was highlighted that beggars are still congregating outside the Mosque and there seems to have been a decrease in the visibility of PCSO’s and Police Officers within the Ward.

 

Response: It was acknowledged that there has been a reduction of Neighbourhood Officers within the Ward. The main reason for this is that a number of PCSO’s had recently been recruited as Police Officers and no plans are currently in place to recruit PCSO’s.

 

5.    A discussion took place about the Jalal Uddin murder trial that was currently ongoing at Manchester Crown Court. Some residents raised concerns about the likely response within the Ward after the verdict is given.

 

Response: The Police Officer and Ward Councillors present agreed that residents needed to remain calm, any outcomes following the trial had to be handled sensitively and plans were in place to deal with issues in the Ward following the verdict.

 

6.    Residents raised concerns about the recent traveller encampment in the Ward:

 

-       Confusion existed about the status of the authorised traveller site within the Ward insofar of the site being temporary or permanent.

 

-       The site still needed to be cleaned.

 

-       Could  ...  view the full minutes text for item 78.

79.

Minutes of last meeting, matters arising and updates pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the Central Rochdale Area Forum held at Wardleworth Community Centre on Thursday 2nd June 2016 were approved as a correct record.

 

The minutes of the Central Rochdale Area Forum held at St Patrick’s RC Primary School on Monday 11th July 2016 were circulated to the Forum for information purposes. These minutes will be agreed at the next Area Forum meeting to be held at St Patrick’s.

 

No updates or matters arising were provided.

80.

Open Forum

Minutes:

The following issues were raised during the Open Forum:

 

1.    A resident raised concerns that the elevated section of footway adjacent to the taxi rank in the town centre had not been replaced during the transformation works which made it more difficult for disabled people / wheelchair users to access taxis.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this further.

 

2.    A resident who lived on Halifax Road complained that he suffered from neighbour nuisance.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to report this problem.

 

3.    A resident asked if a litter bin could be sited on the corner of Lomax Street / Yorkshire Street as the area suffers from problems of littering.

 

The Forum agreed to this.

 

4.    A resident who uses the Link4Life Leisure Centre on Entwistle Road informed the Forum that users can see right into the houses on the new development on Entwistle Road.

 

A Ward Councillor advised the Forum that the housing developer was aware of this.

 

5.    A Ward Councillor advised that the parking arrangements on the new properties were problematic in design as they fronted the main road.

 

The Forum was informed that the design would have had to have gone through the planning process and would have received comments from Highways. Residents would have also had the opportunity to object to the proposals.

 

6.    Resident’s raised a number of concerns about blocked gullies on Whitworth Road, Entwistle Road, adjacent to the Tanners Arms on Whitworth Road and Gower Street.

 

It was commented that any blocked gullies should remain on the ‘to do’ list until they are working effectively.

 

7.    A resident reported that some left over rendering had been disgarded on the pavement close to Channings Childcare and that there was also a portaloo on its side on nearby land.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to report this matter.

 

 

8.    A resident advised that a caravan was parked on Whitehall Street and was possibly causing an obstruction to the footway.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to report this.

 

9.    A representative from the Kashmir Youth Project (KYP) and Rochdale Councils Youth Service provided information on the services available to young people in the Ward. It was also explained that youth provision is proving more difficult to provide because of the reduction in resources. However an exercise is being undertaken to identify where need exists.

 

As a consequence of the above the Forum agreed that the following resolution be noted:

 

‘Central Rochdale Area Forum is concerned about the lack of provision available to young people and that more resources are needed’.

 

10.A resident raised concerns about the amount of rubbish present within the alleygated area behind her home on Greenbank Road.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to report this.

 

 

81.

Senior Citizens Forum

Minutes:

This item had been placed on the agenda by Councillor Sheerin who was subsequently unable to attend the meeting.

 

The Forum was informed that the role of the Senior Citizens Forum (SCF) was to represent older people within the borough and champion the issues that were important to this group.

 

However the SCF is under represented in terms of BME (Black Minority Ethnic) representation. As a consequence any ‘older people’ interested in joining the group should contact the Township & Engagement Officer in the first instance.

82.

Ward News

Minutes:

No Ward news was available.

83.

Date and time of the next meeting

Minutes:

The date and time of the next Area Forum meeting at Wardleworth Community Centre was Thursday 1st September 2016 – 6.30pm – 8.30pm.

 

It was hoped that the next Area Forum meeting to be held at St Patrick’s RC Primary School would be Monday 7th November 2016 – 6.30pm – 8.30pm. However at this moment in time the school had not confirmed availability. Once a date is confirmed this will be circulated.