Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch 

Items
No. Item

97.

Introductions and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

The meeting was chaired by Beryl Lloyd. Everyone was welcomed to the Forum and reminded to observe and respect the code of conduct for the duration of the meeting.

 

Apologies had been received from Councillors Sultan Ali, Iftikhar Ahmed and Ali Ahmed and residents Jim Murphy and Roger Hartley.

98.

PACT meeting - Greater Manchester Police

Minutes:

GMP informed residents that the following incidents had been reported over the last three months:

 

Burglary Dwelling 31

Burglary Other 23

Robbery 9

Theft from Motor Vehicle 14

Theft of Motor Vehicle 7

Criminal Damage 54

 

It was commented that the way in which crime is recorded had recently changed which could have impacted upon the figures above. In addition two prolific offenders in the Ward had recently received custodial sentences which may result in incidents of crime reducing in forthcoming months.

 

Residents raised concerns about anti-social behaviour, speeding on Entwistle Road and adjacent streets, drug dealing, dangerous dogs, aggressive begging, inconsiderate parking and criminal damage.

 

Forum members were informed that criminal activity should be reported accordingly, with as much detail as possible – 999 should be contacted in Emergency cases; 101 in non-emergency cases.

 

Neighbourhood police officers can also be contacted on the following email addresses:

 

13230@gmp.police.uk

 

68823@gmp.police.uk

 

23556@gmp.police.uk

 

 

99.

Minutes of last meeting, matters arising and updates pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the Central Rochdale Area Forum held at Wardleworth Community Centre on Thursday 1st December were approved as a correct record.

 

No updates were provided.

 

The Forum was informed that it may be necessary to hold future area forum meetings at Wardleworth Community Centre on a Monday rather than a Thursday.  Forum members present were supportive of this proposal.

100.

Open Forum

Minutes:

A resident presented a letter which asked the following questions:

 

1.    “I have requested that the speed humps on Entwistle Road are removed as the height of the bumps is too much; it is a main road therefore creates difficulty for drivers. It is more difficult for older and smaller cars to get over the bumps. On what basis were these bumps installed”?

 

Response: The resident was informed that the traffic calming measures on Entwistle Road would have been introduced at significant cost as a result of residents raising concerns about speeding along this stretch of road. Elected Members and Highways would have subsequently agreed to this. It was explained that it was very unlikely that any changes to traffic calming on Entwistle Road would happen.

 

2.    “Shell Petrol station is closed off from both sides. I request that at least one side is open. This will greatly help the people living within this area”.

 

The Township & Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this.

 

3.    “Back Bradshaw Street is a single lane street on which people park on both sides therefore causing difficulties for drivers in getting their cars through”.

 

The Township & Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this.

Residents raised concerns about irresponsible parking in certain parts of the Ward.

 

The Forum was informed that dangerous parking and / or obstruction should be reported to the Police.

 

A resident stated he had received notification of a planning application to introduce a car park on land adjacent to Arif Grocers. However he was unsure if the car park in question would be a public or private car park.

 

The Township & Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this further.

 

A general discussion took place about taxi fares. It was explained that although the local authority has responsibility for regulating the number of taxis in the borough and that they are safe and suitable the Council can only regulate the fares of ‘Hackney carriages’. Private hire vehicles determine their own fares which must be displayed to the paying customer.

 

 

A resident asked if an additional pedestrian crossing could be placed on Entwistle Road.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer agreed to investigate this further.

 

A resident asked if parking bays could be introduced on Greenbank Road and if the road could be made one-way.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer was aware that Highways had been asked to look at traffic issues on Syke Road which may result in Greenbank Road being monitored.

 

It was unlikely that parking bays would be introduced as this process can be expensive and time consuming and approval should be sought from the Secretary of State. In addition if common land is used then alternative common land should be established elsewhere.

 

101.

Ward News

Minutes:

Residents were informed of the Rochdale Science Extravaganza that will be held at Wardleworth Community Centre on Sunday 12th March 2017, 11am till 5pm.

102.

Date and time of the next meeting

Minutes:

At the time of the meeting future dates for the Area Forum were unknown but would be circulated as soon as possible.