Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

No. Item


Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB


The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded members of the need to adhere to the Code of Conduct for the duration of the meeting.


Apologies had been received from Councillor Iftikhar Ahmed.


PACT meeting - Greater Manchester Police


PC Marvell attended the meeting for this item.


The Forum was informed:


1.    Since the issue of anti-social behaviour at the rear of Oswald Street and on the Leisure Centre car park was raised several drivers have been spoken to, had their details taken and warned about their behaviour. Section 59 notices have been served to the regular offending vehicles. Since this action has been taken, fewer reports from local residents have been received. However should anti-social behaviour activity return to the area residents were encouraged to contact 101 or the GMP live chat facility.


2.    There have been increasing reports of anti-social behaviour and loitering around the sheltered areas of Jack McCann Court. Discussions have taken place with the manager of the establishment and local residents to understand the problems being experienced and hotspot times of incidents. Plans are currently being put together by the Neighbourhood Policing Team to address this problem.


3.    Operation Considerate was held on the 22 October which resulted in 1 male being arrested for possession of an offensive weapon and two Section 165 seizures for no license.


4.    A speed enforcement initiative was held on the 2 November – George Street and Oswald Street were targeted.


5.    Over recent months a number of uninsured and untaxed vehicles have been seized. GMP have also worked with the DVLA who have clamped several untaxed vehicles in the area.


6.    Operation Treacle was actioned during the Halloween and Bonfire period. Particular emphasis was focussed on the inappropriate use of fireworks and associated anti-social behaviour. GMP have worked alongside the Local Authority’s Licensing Service to investigate this issue further.


7.    Operation Dark Knights is currently ongoing, focussing upon the prevention of burglaries. Residents were reminded to be vigilant and take adequate security measures.


8.    The theft of catalytic convertors from vehicles in the Ward is still happening. The Honda Jazz and Toyota Prius are cars that are regularly targeted.


9.    A facility now exists on the GMP website where residents can vote for the issues that are affecting their area, for example speeding, drugs, anti-social behaviour. To use this go to the GMP website, click on ‘my area’ and search for the streets / roads within the area and vote. Residents can have up to three votes per month.


10.GMP in liaison with a Ward Councillor are currently in the process of organising a Community Homewatch Scheme in the Ward.


11.GMP are looking to strengthen closer working relationships with partner agencies, for example Trading Standards, Bailiffs and the DVLA.


12.The next Police Surgery will be held in January at either the CommuniTea Room or Jalalia Mosque. Once a date is known it will be circulated on social media networks. Consideration is also being given to introducing a female only surgery.


Forum members raised the following issues:


-       It was asked how the ‘Proceeds of Crime Fund’ can be accessed.


-       A discussion took place about speeding in the Ward, Greenbank Road, Foxholes Road and Red  ...  view the full minutes text for item 164.


Minutes of last meeting, matters arising and updates pdf icon PDF 58 KB


The minutes of the Area Forum meeting held on Monday 19 August 2019 were approved as a correct record.


A resident asked what progress had been made with the request to introduce yellow lines on a small section of Taylor Street to ease congestion in the area.


In response it was commented that Highways had been asked to evaluate the request. No feedback had been received, however the Township and Engagement Officer agreed to follow this enquiry up.


Open Forum


Residents raised the following issues.


1.    It was commented that a large number of bins are being left out after collection. It was asked if the Council could do more to encourage residents to collect and return their bins to their homes after collection. Brunswick Street was identified as a problematic area.


It was commented that no offence is being committed. However to try and improve the situation a leaflet drop would be organised and the Mosque would be asked to encourage the community to be more proactive in returning bins.


2.    A lengthy discussion took place about untidiness in certain parts of the Ward. Littering and fly tipping was seen by some present at the meeting as being a significant problem in the area. It was also argued that more enforcement should occur in relation to this issue.


In response it was highlighted that the Council has specific teams that deal with issues of this nature, although resources and capacity are limited. Enforcement does occur, however this is a labour intensive job which relies upon evidence being available. Residents were encouraged to report incidents of littering and fly tipping with as much detail and information as possible. It was also suggested that groups of volunteers could be set up to collect rubbish from the area and a change of mindset is required by some in the Ward.


 Following further discussion it was agreed that:


-       Data in relation to the number of fly tipping / littering prosecutions be obtained.


-       Consideration is given to the introduction of a bye-law to support greater enforcement of littering and fly tipping incidents.


3.    It was reported that litter bins are being thrown into the river.


4.    A resident asked if any progress had been made with the request to tidy the land adjacent to Brunswick Street / West Street. This would be investigated.


5.    The Forum was informed of the Wardleworth Community Awards which will take place at Wardleworth Communty Centre on Tuesday 17 December 2019.


6.    Reports of anti-social behaviour at College Bank Flats was highlighted.


7.    Bushes hanging into the footpath on a section of Rugby Road.




Ward News


All Ward issues had been previously covered.


Date and time of the next meeting


3 February 2019, commencing 6.30pm at Wardleworth Community Centre.