Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions
Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817
The Chair welcomed all to the meeting and advised forum members of the need to adhere to the code of conduct for the duration of the meeting.
Apologies had been received from Councillor Ali Ahmed and Councillor Iftikhar Ahmed.
GMP reported the following issues:
- Two Asian male youths crashed a Mazda 6 into the front of 73 Oswald Street. One male made off and the other was detained at the scene by residents and later arrested for theft of the motor vehicle from an address in Manchester. The male youth later admitted the offence of taking the vehicle, driving it and causing the crash. He will be charged for this offence at a later date.
On the 22 May the youth was the victim of an assault by two other males, who
seem to think that he had named them as being involved.
It was commented that vehicle crime is taken very seriously. GMP are regularly
finding and recovering stolen vehicles in the Wardleworth area and seizing both
untaxed and uninsured vehicles.
A list of targets who GMP feel repeatedly flout the road traffic act and drive either
uninsured and without a driving licence is being compiled. One such arrest,
conducted less than a month ago for disqualified driving which resulted in a further
6 month ban and incurred court costs.
Two other drivers have been given notices under Section 172 of the Road Traffic
Act requesting them to provide driver details. Both vehicles/drivers were involved
in road traffic collisions and involved in suspected drug dealing.
- On Thursday 28th April 2022 a joint operation with the Council as part of Operation Avro, dealing with vehicles parked on Jermyn Street and the junction of James Street was undertaken. This is the third operation and the area is already looking better.
- On Tuesday 7 December 2021 a drugs warrant was carried out at Good Shepherd Close. Substances were found and money over £5000 seized.
- Monday 17th January a traffic operation was undertaken on George Street targeting those ignoring the one way system. One vehicle was seized for being driven whilst showing Statutory off Road Notification.
- A drug dealer on Bay Street has been arrested and charged. GMP are now looking at seizing all his assets.
- A male on Colley Street has recently been arrested twice, once for disqualified driving and once for drugs offences. The male is now being targeted as he poses a risk in the area with his driving and suspected involvement in drug supply.
- Further good work and community relationship building with BASA & GMP is ongoing. A charity football match is also taking place tonight at Rochdale football ground to further support this work.
Manchester Police also distributed a newsletter for Central Ward
which can also be accessed via the following link.
Residents raised the following issues:
- A resident reported that a car had been parked outside their property on St Albans Street for over 4 months. GMP agreed to visit.
- In response to a question concerning additional traffic calming measures on Oswald Street it was highlighted that the area is a 20mph zone and that traffic calming measures ... view the full minutes text for item 188.
The minutes of the Forum meeting held on Monday 31 January 2022 were approved as a correct record.
It was reported that all issues raised at the meeting and identified within the minutes had been reported to the appropriate service.
It was commented that the floodlighting issues at South Street kick pitch had not been resolved, nor had the trees/bushes been trimmed. This would be reported again.
Residents raised the following issues;
1. A gully on Maclure Road requires cleaning. It was acknowledged that this had been reported on two occasions, however it would be reported again.
2. Following a discussion regarding the lack of provision for the community in the Ward, for example youth provision it was suggested that interested organisations liaise with the Ward Councillors to devise an appropriate range of programmes going forward. It was also advised that funding was available from a variety of sources including Townships.
3. A thank you was expressed to Sultan Ali who served the Ward as Councillor for many years.
4. A discussion took place about fly tipping / littering in the Ward and it was suggested that a community event be organised to address this issue. It was agreed that this would be considered going forward. Litter picking equipment is available from Environmental Management.
5. A resident commented that rubbish had been left close to the grit bin on South Street.
Councillor Sameena Zaheer introduced herself to the Forum having recently been elected into the Ward.
The Councillor stated she was looking forward to representing the Ward, having represented the Milkstone and Deeplish Ward previously.
The Councillor outlined that environmental issues would be at the top of her agenda for the Ward. It was hoped that educational awareness sessions in recycling could be organised.
Residents were also informed that boundary changes in the Ward had resulted in the town centre being placed in Central Ward.
It was also communicated that a number of traffic regulation orders are being progressed which will hopefully result in greater highway safety. Highway Services have also been bought back in house which will hopefully result in more effective and efficient services.
The Councillor also informed residents that the Council’s website can be used to report many issues and that residents should not wait until the area forum to make contact with the Council. The same also applies to Greater Manchester Police.
The Councillor also informed the forum that surgeries and street surgeries will be organised soon. The Councillor is also contactable on a variety of social media platforms
In response to a question it was agreed that additional information would be sought with regards to a local plan for the Ward.
Date and time of the next meeting
The next Forum meeting will take place on Monday 15 August 2022, commencing 6.30pm at Wardleworth Community Centre.