Agenda and minutes

Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

No. Item


Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB


The Chair welcomed all to the meeting and advised members of the need to adhere to the code of conduct for the duration of the meeting.


Apologies had been received from Councillors Iftikhar Ahmed and Ali Ahmed.


Greater Manchester Police


The Forum was informed of the following:


GMP had a day of action on the 18 July which resulted in several stop searches. George Street was identified as a hot spot with drugs, phones and cash being found. Vehiclesbeing identified as being involved in criminal activity were also seized. Operations of this nature are being carried out across the Township on a regular basis in an effort to tackle criminal activity.


A targeted operation around George Street was undertaken to identify vehicles contravening the one way system. A zero tolerance policy has been adopted on the issue of fixed penalty notices in order to send a message to those that choose to offend.


Patrols in the vicinity of Jack McCann Court have taken place to reduce the incidence of anti-social behaviour in the area.


Patrols on Jermyn Street have continued in order to prevent the parking problems experienced near to the garages continuing.


Numerous cars have been seized over the last few months for being stolen/recovered, having no insurance, being used in crime or contravening traffic laws. This information has been put on social media to inform the public that GMP will not tolerate anti-social driving.



Due to the new Chief Constables stance on tackling crime and anti-social behaviour GMP now arrest criminals rather than inviting the for a voluntary interview. This approach helps to deal with individuals quicker and speeds up the investigation process but also helps victims of crime.



A new gymnasium is being set up on George Street opposite Turners Dance School. This will help regenerate the area around GeorgeStreet, Crook Street, Hugh Street and Baillie Street East.


As a result of this street lighting around the area may be improved which may help to tackle the drug dealing issues that are occurring in the vicinity.


A day of action on College Bank, Lower Falinge was carried out on Tuesday 16 August 2022. This resulted in:


Drug dealing being targetted in the College Bank and Lower Falinge areas.


A male being arrested for the possession of a Class A drug.


A vehicle being seized following a police pursuit.


A pop up surgery was held outside Hope Street Off Licence.


PCSO’s have undertaken anti-social behaviour patrols Industry Road in relation to a vulnerable repeat victim who has been targeted by youths


Two prolific burglary offenders have recently been returned to prison.


Dates of Police Surgeries will be circulated when known.


Community Safety are dealing with the beggars in the area.


The following issues were raised by residents:


A Resident asked for an apologyfollowing a recent incident in the Ward. He was advised to speak to the Inspector for the Ward.


Speeding concerns on Howard Street and Cooke Street were raised. It was asked if traffic calming measures could be introduced. It was agreed to investigate this further.


Incidents of fireworks being let off were reported.


Incidents of taxi drivers blowing theirhorns in the early hours was reported. It was commented that local Mosques  ...  view the full minutes text for item 194.


Approval of the minutes pdf icon PDF 91 KB


The minutes of the area forum held on Monday 23 May 2022 were approved as a correct record.


Open Forum


Stuart Morris, Strategic Lead Housing attended the meeting to inform residents that a site at the rear of KYP has been reserved for new housing. It was explained that the Council is keen to engage with the community in trying to decide what should be built on the land.


It was explained that the site will have a mix of housing and the community are encouraged to engage to inform the Council what housing types and tenure they would like to see on the site which meet local needs.


In general the forum was supportive of these plans and stressed the point that social housing and affordable properties should be included on the site. It was also commented that work experience, apprenticeships and job opportunities should be provided as part of this development for local people. The point was also made that any properties built should take into consideration climate change considerations and be as energy efficient as possible.


Residents raised the following issues;


·         Asked if the Council could help with rodent problems in the Ward.


It was stated that if residents had problems with rodents within their homes then the Council offers a service to deal with the problem. It was also explained that there is a charge for this service.


·         In response to questions it was commented that blocked gullies and problems with street lighting could be reported via respective portals on the Councils website.


·         A resident commented that the blocked gully problem on Maclure Road had been resolved. However it was stated that businesses in the area paid to resolve the problem has the Council had not responded to reports of flooding in the area.


·         Concerns were raised about speeding problems on Howard Street. The Township Officer agreed to investigate this further.


·         A resident asked what local Councillors and MP’s were doing to help residents with the cost of living crisis.


It was explained that local politicians will be lobbying Government for action.


·         A resident commented that she is having problems with Japanese Knotweed near to her property.


·         Fly tipping problems were reported on Oswald Street, Hector Avenue and Ramsay Street.


The Ward Councillor present asked the resident to contact her so that arrangements could be made to obtain litter picking kits from Environmental Management





Councillor updates


 Councillor Sameena Zaheer reported the following:


  • Ward Surgeries will be organised in the near future. The current plan is as following:


1st Wednesday of the month – Wardleworth Community Centre – 11am-12noon

2nd Wednesday of the month – BACP – 11am-12noon

3rd Wednesday of the month – KYP – 11am – 12noon

4th Wednesday of the month – Rochdale Womens Welfare Association (Women Only) – 11am-12noon


In addition to the above street surgeries are to be organised.


·         Had a meeting with the local Inspector. Of the opinion that GMP are working hard to tackle the problems in the Ward.


·         There are a number of Highways proposals for the Ward which includes a speed survey to be carries out on Water Street.


·         Had a meeting with the Head of the Youth Service to ascertain what youth provision is available in the Ward. Also requested that the timetable for this provision is advertised.


·         In response to a question concerning the availability of the old Gower Street youth facility residents were encouraged to generate a petition.





Date and time of the next meeting


Monday 5 December 2022 at Wardleworth Community Centre, commencing 6.30pm.