Venue: Wardleworth Community Centre, South Street, Rochdale OL16 2EP. View directions
Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817
The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded members of the need to adhere to the code of conduct for the duration of the meeting.
Apologies had been received from Councillors Ali Ahmed and Iftikhar Ahmed.
Greater Manchester Police
The forum was informed of the following.
1. A crash at the junction of St Mary’s Gate and Whitworth Road caused over £40000 worth of damage. The driver was found to be over the drink drive limit and had class ‘A’ drugs in their system. Prosecutions will follow.
2. A cannabis farm has been discovered and dismantled on Whitworth Road. This is one of many that have been found in the Rochdale area recently. Residents were encouraged to report incidents of this nature.
3. A vehicle recently stopped was found to have 68 wraps of class ‘A’ drugs, mobile phones and weapon on board. A male has been arrested and investigations continue.
4. Several operations in and around George Street have been undertaken which have led to prosecutions for contravening the one-way system. Stop searches have also been undertaken in the area with arrests being made in relation to drug related activity.
5. GMP have played an active role in the removal of abandoned cars parked on a garage on Crook Street. The vehicles were being used by rough sleepers.
6. A new gym is opening on George Street. Additional lighting in the area may help deter criminal activity.
7. Untaxed vehicles should be reported to DVLA.
8. Partnership working between GMP, Rochdale Boroughwide Housing and the Council has resulted in problem tenants being removed.
Residents raised the following issues:
In response to a question GMP acknowledged they are looking to organise a Police Surgery in the Ward. Once formalised details will be advertised via social media.
It was also commented that police surgeries are sometimes ineffective because residents are fearful of attending and being seen.
A resident asked if the text message he had received from GMP about burglaries in the Ward was genuine. GMP confirmed this was the case.
It was asked if GMP Officers could attend events in the Ward to enhance their presence in the Ward and reassure residents. Suggestions included, Mosques, Soup Kitchen, Womens’ Welfare.
Residential The minutes of the area forum meeting held on Monday 15 August 2022 were approved as a correct record.
The following updates were provided:
1. A speed survey on Howard Street had been undertaken in 2018. Highways have recently been requested to design a traffic calming scheme for the vicinity.
The forum was informed that there is approximately £13000 remaining in Ward funds and that commitments to this budget had to be made before the end of January 2023. As a consequence residents were encouraged to submit funding applications as soon as possible.
The Councillor present outlined a potential heritage project she had in mind at Broadfield Park. It was estimated that the contribution that may be required to support this initiative would be in the region of £10000.
Following discussion it was agreed to defer this request for the time being to allow other suggestions to be put forward. Any money remaining in Ward Funds following the receipt and agreement of ‘other’ suggestions would be directed to the ‘heritage’ project. It was agreed that any proposals for projects should be forwarded to the Township Officer by the first week in January 2023.
In response to questions it was advised that:
- Funding for the grit bin on Hector Avenue had been agreed and installation is planned.
- An update from Stuart Morris, Strategic Lead, Housing be sought in connection with the housing proposals in the Ward.
Councillor Zaheer outlined the following issues:
1. Ward Surgeries have started and are every Wednesday
2. A bid is being prepared for funding to upgrade South Street Play Area.
3. The Councillor has been appointed Climate Champion for Rochdale North.
4. Action Together have funding available for environmental projects.
5. Concerns have been raised about traffic issues near to Heybrook School.
6. A bollard has been installed at the junction of Greenbank Road / Rossall Road to deter cars from using the footpath.
7. A number of Warm Hubs are available in Central Ward as well as across the borough.
8. The Youth Service have not responded to the request for information about youth service provision in the Ward.
9. A leaflet on food support options for residents across the borough has been produced and distributed.
10.Eight properties are to be built on Gower Street.
11.The Councillor has been appointed to the Asylum Seeker and Refugee Board.
Date and time of the next meeting
Monday 27 February 2023 commencing 6.30pm at Wardleworth Community Centre.