Agenda and minutes

Venue: Newbold Community Church, Milnrow Road, Rochdale OL16 5DW. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson - Tel: 01706 924343 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

All were welcomed to the meeting and apologies were noted.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

2.

Minutes from the last meeting/updates pdf icon PDF 97 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting were agreed and the followingupdates were provided.

Woodbine Street/Oldham Road (near Wellfield Surgery) - cars parking on double yellow lines
Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to Parking Services to keep under investigation.

Woodbine Street East Car Park drug dealing
GMP advised the area is being monitored and a car was pursued by officers last week from the area.

Burchall Field missing fencing
Township Officer updated that the matter had been previously investigated and the fence lies on the boundary of two areas of private land, of which the owners have been written to but have never responded to requests for repair.

Croxton Avenue 20mph signage and speed humps

Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to the Council’s Highways Department for attention.

Croft Shifa parking
Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to Parking Services for monitoring and investigation.

Newbold Moss salt bin refilling request

Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to the Council’s Highways Department and a resident advised the bin had been refilled.

Kingsway, Rochdale - flooding outside property on road after resurfacing
Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to the Council’s Highways Department for inspection and attention.  An officer had visited the site and noted the blockage within the gully, so reported it to operatives for it to be cleaned and checked, ensuring it is operational and with no defect. A resident stated she feels the defect is due to the uneven surface/camber in the road caused by recent resurfacing works causing the flooding on this stretch of road, with spray from vehicles often reaching her windows.
Action: Townships to raise the matter again with the Council’s Highways Department.

Signage issues on Crawford Street and the junction of Church Road
Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to the Council’s Highways Department for inspection and attention.

Morrison’s, Rochdale - prevalence of rats at the location of the bins area
Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to Morrison’s representatives who had advised their vermin contractors had attended the site and replenished bait within boxes and they will ensure the area is monitored.

Woodland View fencing
Township Officer confirmed the matter had been investigated and it was not a planning breach, nor was the development an encroachment onto Council-owned land or a Right of Way.

Robinson's Common Kick Pitch - issues with littering/fly-tipping and also dog fouling/aggressiveness - request for mobile CCTV

Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to the Council’s Environmental Management Department for inspection and attention in regards to the dog fouling and also additional reports of fly-tipping.  Unfortunately, mobile CCTV cameras cannot be used.  The Community Safety Officer in attendance advised the forum that the issue requires Environmental Management Enforcement to visit at the times dog owners are allegedly letting them foul the area as they have powers under Environmental Legislation to issue Fixed Penalty Notices.  They have to catch the dog owner letting the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 2.

3.

Greater Manchester Police - PACT meeting

Minutes:

PC Chadwick provided the update to residents.  The crime figures were as follows:

Figures for the last 3 months:
Burglaries – 31
Robberies – 5
Crimes involving vehicles – 43
Hate crimes – 5

He advised that one male had been recently charged for 6 burglaries and another male is in custody suspected of carrying out around 30-40 thefts.

Police Surgeries
Surgeries are held once a month at the Moss Street Youth Centre at 12.30 – 1.30pm. The public can just drop-in to discuss any issues they are experiencing.

Future dates are as follows:
8 April 2022
6 May 2022
22 July 2022

Neighbourhood Policing Consultation Event on Monday 14th March 2022 at Falinge Park High School, Falinge Road, Rochdale – 7pm - 9pm
The Greater Manchester Police Command Team are visiting local districts to talk to the public about issues affecting them and to discuss how policing can be delivered going forward.  They want local people to attend, give their views if they wish and be involved in how Greater Manchester Police engage with the residents of Rochdale in general.  As well as Assistant Chief Constable Green, members of the local Neighbourhood Policing Team will also be there alongside the divisional commander Chief Superintendent Nicky Porter.

4.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Fly-tipping at rear of Sure Start Centre, Moss Street
A resident raised this matter stating the whole area needs clearing up and continually monitored.
Action: Townships to raise matter again with the Council’s Environmental Management Department.

Watkin Street speeding
A resident raised a matter via email concerning speeding vehicles near their property on Watkin Street and damage caused as a result of this to residents’ cars.  They also reported issues with cars late at night going the wrong way, ie from Kingsway towards Charter Street.  GMP advised there were no previous reports on their system but stated the area is being monitored and it will be put on the list for future speed operations and surveillance.

Witley Road – Drug dealing and fly-tipping near ‘Possabilities’ Day Service Building
Matter was raised via email submitted before the forum.  Township Officer confirmed the matter had been escalated to the Council’s Environmental Management Department for inspection and attention in regards to litter/fly-tipping.  GMP advised there were no previous reports on their system but stated the area will be monitored by officers.

Guinness Partnership updates
S Livsey attended from the Guinness Partnership to provide an update on the managed estate.  She requested assistance from the Council’s Environmental Management Department with regards to the open style refuse bins located around the estate which are giving rise to fly-tipped waste being dumped near to them.  Fly-tipping was also discussed as an issue, in particular at alley gates at the side of Sarah Butterworth Street and also at the locations of Clement Court, Eccles Court and the rear of the substation on Waithlands Road.
Action: Townships to raise with the Council’s Environmental Management Department so they can arrange a walk-around with Guinness Trust Officers and Councillors to address the issues.

Medina Mosque parking congestion
It was raised that there are occurrences of indiscriminate parking around the Medina Mosque.
Action: Councillor Ali will raise the matter with the mosque direct and ask for users to apply consideration when they park vehicles in the area.

Newbold Community Church – Community Garden Project Idea
Members of the church spoke to residents at the forum about suggestions for future community projects that they can provide assistance with.  A community garden project idea for near the Florence Street area was discussed and Ward Councillors stated they would like to get involved as did the officer from the Guinness Trust.

5.

Ward News

Minutes:

Councillor Ali - Updates

·           Funding had been secured for works to footpath/surfacing works on Percy Street.

·           Council’s Hit Team from Environmental Management has been carrying out clear-ups in the Lowerplace and Belfield areas.

 

Councillor Massey – Updates

·           Planting bulbs around the ward to brighten up areas - if any residents would like to assist to let her know.

·           Will be arranging a litter pick as part of The Big Spring Clean with the Youth Service and members of the community – all welcome to join.

 

Robinson’s Common play equipment
Clarification to previous minutes on this issue.  The monies have been secured for the future installation of children’s playground equipment.

Senior Citizens Forum
Update read out ‘The group is an offshoot of the local area forums and is aimed at tackling issues which have a direct impact on our elderly residents.  We are looking for new members who will act as local forum representatives.  The group meet quarterly on a Monday morning in Castleton Community Centre.  Anyone who would like to join the committee please give their name to the forum.

6.

Date and time of the next meeting

Minutes:

Date to be confirmed
6.30pm at Newbold Community Church, Milnrow Road, Rochdale