Agenda and minutes

Venue: Spotland Methodist Church, Rooley Moor Road, Rochdale OL12 7ES. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

123.

Welcome, Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

The Chair introduced himself and officers present, and welcomed all to the meeting.  He referred to the code of conduct and asked all to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.

The Chair paid tribute to Brian Holden and a minute silence followed.

The Chair extended best wishes to Gary Finch on behalf of the forum.

124.

Appointment of Chair, Vice Chair and Area Forum Sub Group

Minutes:

Following nominations and voting the following residents where appointed Chair and Vice Chair of the area forum for the next twelve months:
Chair – Philip Massey
Vice Chair – Mohammed Rashid
There were no changes to membership of the area forum sub-group.

125.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting

Minutes:

PC Jones gave the following updates:

·           PCSO Dan Smout is leaving the ward to take up the post of Police Constable.  He will be replaced by PCSO Francesca Cottam.

·           A restructure of the Neighbourhood Teams means that Bamford and Norden Officers will also be working with Officers in Spotland and Falinge ward.

·           Officers are working on Operation Bohemia, which focusses on anti-social behaviour.  A number of arrests have been made and several youths have appeared in Court.

·           A known prolific burglar has been sentenced to 4 years imprisonment.

·           Any resident interested in taking part in a Speedwatch initiative was encouraged to leave their details.

·           It is hoped to recommence off-road bike operations in the New Year.

·           The PACT priorities remain as anti-social behaviour, speeding and off-road bikes.

 

Vandalism to vehicles

A resident reported numerous incidences of damage to parked vehicles; it was acknowledged that this is a problem throughout the ward.  Residents were reminded to report all incidents, regardless of whether or not the Police respond.  The Officers will speak to Meanwood School about their staff parking responsibly on nearby streets.

Rooley Moor Road speeding
Residents stated that if the survey currently being carried out results in a TRO, it will increase the ability and likelihood of vehicles speeding.  The survey is looking at potentially introducing parking restrictions in order to clear sightlines at junctions, however, residents felt that a more important survey should be a focus on vehicle speeds between Spotland Bridge and the chip shop.  In response to claims that residents are never consulted, the Chair reiterated the TRO process, including consultation, and stressed that not all residents with a view to air attend the area forum.  The forum was also informed that any objections are considered by a Committee made up of nine Members, only one of which is a Ward Councillor for Spotland and Falinge, and that objectors are welcome to attend the Committee to make representation.

Wildlife Officer
PC Jones agreed to enquire whether GMP has a Wildlife Officer.

The Chair thanked PCSO Smout for all of his hard work in the ward, and wished him luck in his new role.

126.

Minutes of the Area Forum meeting held on 23 August 2018, matters arising and updates pdf icon PDF 291 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on Thursday 23 August 2018 were approved as a correct record subject to the following amendment:

Minute 115 – Rooley Moor Road Route Study

The Councillor present at the meeting stated that the study had been requested following complaints from residents about the obstruction of sightlines at junctions.

MATTERS ARISING

Cutgate Road traffic calming
Residents were unhappy about the length of time it had taken to implement this scheme, stating that it was still not complete as the red patches had not yet been put down.  The Chair confirmed that the scheme was due to take three weeks to complete, which is up at the end of next week.

Removal of litter bins
There was some confusion regarding two bins that have been removed, and their locations; three different locations were given:

 

1.      Wilbutts Lane, top of Churchill Street – a resident stated that this bin was removed by a Council vehicle.

2.      Wilbutts Lane, near to new build properties, near passageway to Falkland Avenue

3.      Churchill Street, outside the school gates.

 

There was also a request for a bin at the top of Longfield Road, near to the bench.

Action 1: Establish exact number and location of missing bins, whether Environmental Management removed them and intend to replace, and whether any can be funded from Councillor Rana’s allocation (Township Officer)

Primrose Street survey
The survey had shown that speeds were average with only a small number of drivers breaking the limit.
Action 2: Distribute survey to distribution list (Township Officer)

Wilbutts Lane Survey
The report referred to the possibility of a 20mph speed limit, costs in the region of £11k.  The forum supported a bid to Rochdale Township Action & Resources Sub Committee to progress this scheme.
Action 3: Request a project brief from Highways for consideration at Rochdale Township Action & Resources Sub Committee (Township Officer)

127.

Members/Ward Funds

Minutes:

The forum supported the following schemes from the Ward Fund:

·           Longfield Road/Bridgefold Road Meadow - £500

·           Rooley Moor Road Speed Survey - £TBC

 

With regard to the meadow project, the group would welcome anybody wishing to get involved.  The Youth Service expressed an interest.  The Council is also helping along with the Green Volunteers.  Advice regarding possible other funding streams was also given.

The forum supported funding for, or a contribution towards, the reinstatement of the gate at Knacks Lane should the Friends of Rooley Moor wish to apply.
Action 4: Progress both funding approvals.  Project brief required from Highways (Township Officer)

128.

Councillor Updates/News

Minutes:

Councillor Rana

·           All three Ward Councillors have supported the recent bulky waste collection, and also the toy appeal at Spotland Library.

·           Councillor Rana recently carried out some fundraising for veterans, raising £510 for the Veterans Breakfast Club.

·           A member of the Planning Committee.

·           Chair of Communities & Engagement Priority Group.  Applications invited with an upper limit of £1,500.  Deadline for applications is 2 January 2019.

·           Worked on clean up at Crimble Park.

·           Supported Christmas Lunch for Cleansing Teams.

·           Committed Members Fund for new bins throughout the ward.

·           Invites ideas for low cost quick win schemes to improve Spotland Bridge.

 

Councillor Cocks

·           Recently became a member of the Northern Care Alliance which is proving very challenging and quite demanding time wise.

·           Working to see how the lack of maternity services can be addressed in Rochdale, and looking at how other Local Authorities, such as Salford, are reacting to similar situations.

·           Chair of the Age Friendly Steering Group.

·           Casework ongoing.

·           Chair of the Clean & Green Priority Group.  Applications invited.

129.

Open Forum

Minutes:

In Bloom
The Chair stated that the persistence of the In Bloom Committee and the voluntary groups has paid off.  As well as a National Award, the Township won Gold in the regional competition and numerous community groups won awards.  Spotland and Falinge Ward played a huge part in this year’s entry and residents should be very proud.  Awards included Catley Lane Head, the Wonderwall and the Edenfield Road alley-gating scheme.  Buckley Hall Prison also took part, helping inmates with learning skills and paying back to the community.

The Chair explained that the group is not ‘chasing awards’ but polishing what we already have.  It was acknowledged that the prestigious In Bloom awards are valuable as third party recognition that will help attract business and regeneration to the Borough.

Denehurst Park/Ings Lane Play Area
Installation is due to start at Denehurst Park during January, and at Ings Lane 18 February 2019.

Falinge Park
A history group has now started to meet and all are encouraged to attend.  There will be a Dinosaur Egg hunt on 21 April 2019, proceeds to the Mayor’s charity, and a park run takes place on the first Sunday of every month – runners can choose 1m, 2m or 5k.  There are upcycling and craft sessions every Monday.  The Chair encouraged future events to be shared with the Township Office to allow them to be circulated.  There were concerns that many people on the Falinge side of the ward are unaware of the area forum.

Ings Lane hedge
A hedge on Ings Lane needs cutting back.  A resident thinks the hedge is on Bellway land.
Action 5: Liaise with Environmental Management to arrange cutting back of the hedge (Township Officer)

Ings Lane/Sandy Lane crossing
A resident asked why are there no beeps on the Ings Lane/Sandy Lane crossing.
Action 6: Make enquiry with Highways (Township Officer)

Ravendale Close parking

Residents, some of whom have disabilities, cannot park near their properties and they state the close is unadopted, however, the Highways Registry Officer has said that is not the case.  Regardless of the area’s status, residents were informed that restrictions would apply to all and not just those visiting local shops.  A residents parking permit scheme was not an option because a) Rochdale Township had voted not to support such schemes, and b) the area would not be big enough to be suitable for such a scheme.  A discussion took place regarding the closure of The Star public house, and the closing of the car park barrier which was thought to have contributed to the problem.

Youth Service
Leaflets detailing provision for young people were made available for people to take home.

Rooley Moor Neighbourhood Forum
The group has recently held its AGM and now has nine trustees.  The Neighbourhood Plan is complete and it will go to Rochdale Township Committee in January 2019.  The Heritage Lottery Funded Shared Heritage Project is coming to an end.  Visitor interpretation boards are to be installed and two  ...  view the full minutes text for item 129.

130.

Date and time of next meeting

Minutes:

Thursday 7 March 2019 at 7.00pm
Spotland Methodist Church