Agenda and minutes

Venue: Spotland Methodist Church, Rooley Moor Road, Rochdale OL12 7ES. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

131.

Welcome, Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

The Chair introduced himself and officers present and welcomed all to the meeting. He asked all present that the code of conduct be adhered to throughout the meeting.

 

The Forum was informed that ten residents had submitted their apologies for the meeting.

132.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting

Minutes:

PC Jones and PCSO Robinson attended the meeting for this item.

 

The Forum was informed of the following issues:

 

1.    Operation Bohemia – This was an initiative aimed at responding to the significant increase in anti-social behaviour around the Spotland Road / Falinge areas. The operation concluded in January following a large reduction in incidents.

 

2.    Two habitual juvenile offenders in the Ward have recently received detention orders. As a result vehicle crime in the Greave area has reduced and anti-social behaviour around the shops at Greave has also seen a reduction.

 

3.    Another successful Operation Dragster was recently undertaken. A number of vehicles including two bikes and a van were seized. It is hoped that the new gate that is being installed at Knacks Lane will help to restrict access to Rooley Moor.

 

4.    A number of burglaries are being investigated where evidence permits. Forum members were reminded to ensure that windows and doors are locked, timers are used on lights and alarms are used wherever possible.

 

5.    Meanwood School patrols are continuing to ensure child safety around the school. Yellow lines near to the school have now been re-instated.

 

6.    Greater Manchester Police are introducing a new online reporting facility. GMP’s website now allows for the following to be made online:

 

-       Crime Reporting

-       Neighbourhood and Pub Watch Scheme Registration

-       Triage and advice services for fraud and missing persons.

-       Reporting counter terrorism concerns.

 

It is hoped that the above facility will help alleviate the problems being experienced by residents when contacting the 101 number.

 

7.    Regular patrols at Denehurst Park will continue.

 

8.    Drug dealing is an on-going problem in certain parts of the Ward and Neighbourhood Officers will continue to gather information about this.

 

Residents raised the following concerns:

 

-       Speeding in the Ward with specific reference being made to the recent accident on Rooley Moor Road.

 

GMP acknowledged speeding was a problem and explained that the Neighbourhood Policing Team had made a request to purchase a speed gun which could be used as a future deterrent within the Ward.

 

-       Off-road bikes being used on Churchill Street near to the school.

 

-       Anti-social behaviour being a serious problem near to the tram-stop in the Town Centre. A taxi driver provided an example of where an object had been thrown at his vehicle which he subsequently reported.

 

It was acknowledged that ASB incidents have been a frequent problem, particularly on the Tram Network. It was also explained that more resources have been assigned to Town Centre teams to combat ASB and criminal activity.

 

The taxi drivers present asked if it would be possible to arrange a meeting between taxi drivers, GMP and Council representatives.

 

It was agreed that the PACT priorities until the next Forum meeting will be speeding, anti-social behaviour and off-road biking.

 

 

 

 

133.

Minutes of last meeting/Matters arising/Updates pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the Area Forum meeting held on Thursday 13 December 2018 were approved as a correct record.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer sought confirmation, following a request from the Highways Service, that the Forum wanted to undertake another speed survey on Rooley Moor Road. It was explained that two surveys; one in 2008 and another in 2017 had been carried out providing similar results.

 

Following discussion where residents put forward arguments in support and against the undertaking of another survey it was agreed not to progress the request for another survey. It was agreed however that the £1500 that had been allocated to the survey should be re-directed to help support the installation on a vehicle activated speed sign on Rooley Moor Road.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer explained that he had no further updates. The Update / Action Sheet had been circulated prior to the meeting. However the Public Realm Inspector commented that the hedges on Ings Lane would be cut back when the nesting season finishes.

134.

Members/Ward Funds

Minutes:

It was explained that all Members / Ward Funds had been allocated for 2018/19 and that the allocations for 2019/20 would be known in June.

135.

Councillor Updates/News pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Minutes:

The following updates were provided:

 

Councillor Rana explained that he had been involved in a number of projects aimed at tidying up the Ward. He stressed that should anyone know of an area in the Ward that is need of attention please contact him.

 

It was also explained that Councillor Cocks and himself are looking at a project for Spotland Bridge whilst all three Ward Councillors had contributed to the installation of ten bins to be located at various sites in the Ward.  Councillor Rana also highlighted that he had recently organised a fundraising event which raised £510 for Rochdale Veterans.

 

Councillor Cocks informed the meeting that she was a member of Rochdale Stadium Safety Committee. She commented that the up and coming fixture against Sunderland (6th April) would potentially cause congestion in the area around the stadium with disruption possible. Plans and arrangements for parking will be in place for away supporters. It was also commented that Denehurst Park was having an open day on the same date which may add to congestion in the area.

 

Councillor Cocks also explained that she was on the Adoption Panel and encouraged residents to consider becoming foster parents and was Chair of the Age Friendly Rochdale Strategy Group.

 

 The Forum was also informed that Council Tax is set to rise by 3.99%.

 

Councillor Biant’s update can be accessed via the link below.

http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/documents/s66177/Councillor%20Biant%20-%20Update.pdf

 

The Chair reminded the Forum that this would be Councillor Biant’s last meeting in her role as a Councillor. He thanked Councillor Biant for her hard work in the Ward over many years. Members of the Forum supported and acknowledged this view.

136.

Open Forum - An opportunity for local residents to comment on issues in the ward

Minutes:

The Forum was informed of the following events:

 

1.    Ings Lane Play Area will be opened on the 22 March 2019. It is hoped to involve local school children in the event.

 

2.    Denehurst Park will be having an opening event on the 6 April 2019

 

3.    A Festival of Light will be held in Falinge Park on the 29 November 2019

 

4.    Vintage Worx are planning to create a Victorian Garden in Falinge Park and are looking for volunteers to assist with this. Anyone interested should contact Vintage Worx direct -  01706 632297

 

5.    Vintage Worx will be holding an Easter Sunday Event with all proceeds going to the Mayor’s Charity.

 

More details will be circulated via the Spotland and Falinge Ward database about the above events when available.

 

Residents raised the following issues:

 

1.    Cutgate Road Traffic Calming

 

A resident raised concerns about the distance between speed humps on this particular scheme. It was argued that the distance enabled cars to speed excessively resulting in the traffic calming measures to be ineffective at certain points.

 

Highways would be informed of this comment.

 

2.    TBA Progress

 

A resident asked if a progress report could be provided on the TBA site.

 

The appropriate service would be asked for a comment.

 

3.    Rooley Moor Road Route Study

 

Concerns were raised about the potential outcomes of the above study particularly the view that the introduction of traffic restrictions on Rooley Moor Road would encourage speeding. It was also expressed that residents and businesses in the area should have been consulted as part of the study process.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer explained that he had spoken to Highway Services this week who had informed him that the study had now been completed. It was hoped that the proposals would be advertised in June. Once advertised residents and businesses in the area would have 21 days to support or object to the proposals. If any objections are received the proposed scheme would be referred to Action and Resources Committee for a decision.

 

4.    Fields in Trust

 

A resident asked if it would be possible to register Denehurst Park and Falinge Park with the above organisation to provide additional protection and safeguards for these areas. It was also commented that Springfield Park was registered with the organisation.

 

In response it was explained that the two parks had covenants in place to ensure the future of both areas and the possible Community Asset Transfer of Falinge Park to Vintage Worx would be subject to stringent safeguards to protect the future of the park.

 

Following discussion it was agreed that further investigation should be undertaken into the advantages / disadvantages of registering the parks with Fields in Trust.

 

5 Grit Bins

 

In response to a question it was confirmed that the cost of a grit bin including 23 fills cost £1006.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

137.

Dates and times of the next meetings

Minutes:

The Chair explained that future meetings of the Forum would take place at two sites:

 

Thursday 27 June 2019 at 7pm – Falinge Park

Thursday 19 September 2019 at 7pm – Falinge Park

Thursday 12 December 2019 at 7pm – Spotland Methodist Church

Thursday 5 March 2020 at 7pm – Spotland Methodist Church