Agenda and minutes

Venue: Falinge Community Hub, Falinge Park, Rochdale OL12 6JE. View directions

Contact: Gary Finch - Tel: 01706 924817 

Items
No. Item

138.

Welcome, Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 15 KB

Minutes:

The Chair introduced himself and officers present and welcomed all to the meeting. He also asked all present that the Code of Conduct be adhered to throughout the meeting.

 

The Forum was informed that apologies had been received from Councillors Cocks and Rana and five members of the public.

 

 

139.

Greater Manchester Police including PACT meeting

Minutes:

PS Sutcliffe and PCSO Robinson attended the meeting for this item.

 

The Forum was informed of the following issues:

 

1.    Burglary – The Neighbourhood Team will continue with high visibility patrols in areas of demand. The Team have also provided updates and crime prevention advice via GMP social media.

 

One male juvenile has been arrested and remanded in custody for burglary and the theft of a motor vehicle.

 

2.    Theft From Motor Vehicle – The Forum was advised that there had been a rise in thefts from motor vehicles therefore residents were encouraged to be more vigilant, keep vehicles locked and keep valuables stored away.

 

One offender has been arrested and sentenced to 18 months in prison.

 

3.    Pulse Policing Operation – This initiative has been introduced which involves GMP Officers flooding particular anti-social behaviour hot spot area which in turn increases police presence and visibility. Results from this type of operation have been positive.

 

4.    Operation Dragster – This operation, which focusses on off-road bikes was repeated in May. Two males were apprehended – one received a Section 59 warning the other had his bike confiscated.

 

It is hoped that the gate that has been fitted at the top of Rooley Moor Road will restrict access to the Moor.

 

Similar operations will be arranged.

 

5.    Vehicles Seized – Since March, 17 vehicles have been seized for a variety of reasons – no tax and no insurance. A scooter was also seized because it was being driven on the footpaths around Martin Lane.

 

6.    Drug Dealing – Four males have been arrested (3 charged / 1 released on bail) on suspicion of possession with intent to supply Class A drugs.

 

There have also been a number of other drug related arrests over the last month which will hopefully have an impact on drug supply in the area.

 

7.    Damage to Denehurst Park Play Area

 

Two suspects have been identified – 8 and 11 years of age. A meeting with their parents is planned.

 

 

8.    Speeding in the Ward

 

GMP are aware of these problems in the Ward and are trying to obtain the necessary equipment to undertake operations. However this requires the approval of Greater Manchester’s Mayor. The Forum will be updated on progress.

 

It was also reported that the following number of incidents had been reported between March and June 2019:

 

Residential Burglary – March 7 – April 9 – May 4 – June 10

 

It was stated that the primary target area has been the Spotland Road area and Brotherod Hall Road. The main method of entering the properties has been via open rear kitchen windows between 00.00 and 08.00.

 

Community Burglary – March 7 – April 3 – May 8 – June 5

 

It was reported that forceful entry was used with the hot spots areas being  the Spotland Road area and Cutgate and Rooley Moor Road. Items taken included flag stones, shop tills containing cash, meat, alcohol and cigarettes.

 

Criminal Damage – March 16 – April  ...  view the full minutes text for item 139.

140.

Minutes of last meeting/Matters arising/Updates pdf icon PDF 144 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the Area Forum meeting held on Thursday 7 March 2019 were approved as a correct record subject to the following change.

 

Amend Minute 133

 

Remove – Following discussion where residents put forward arguments in support and against the undertaking of another survey it was agreed not to progress the request for another survey. It was agreed however that the £1500 that had been allocated to the survey should be redirected to help support the installation of a vehicle activated speed sign on Rooley Moor Road.

 

Add - Following discussion where residents put forward arguments in support and against the undertaking of another survey it was agreed not to progress the request for another survey. However, It was agreed by the majority of those in attendance that the £1500 that had been allocated to the survey should be redirected to help support the installation of a vehicle activated speed sign on Rooley Moor Road.

 

Matters arising included:

 

Minute 136

 

1.    TBA – It was asked if an officer could attend the next meeting of the Area Forum to provide an update on this issue.

 

2.    Rooley Moor Road Route Study – Concerns were raised about the potential outcomes of this study and the way it had been initiated by a previous Ward Councillor. Criticisms were also made about the lack of consultation that had taken place with residents and businesses regarding the proposals.

 

The Township and Engagement Officer explained that a meeting had recently been held involving the Ward Councillors and the Highways Officer responsible for this scheme. The outcome of this meeting was that the existing plan was amended in favour of a plan that would hopefully be more acceptable to residents and businesses in the area.

 

A Ward Councillor commented that consultation had taken place in the area and the changes made to the proposals at the recent meeting were based on discussions held with the Community.

 

It was explained that the proposals are likely to be published for public consultation in September / October 2019.

 

Updates concerning actions identified at previous meetings had been circulated prior to the meeting.

141.

Members/Ward Funds

Minutes:

The Forum was informed that Ward Funds for 2019/20 are £8000, Members Funds are £2000 per Councillor

 

It was explained that a request had been received to place bollards adjacent to the shops on College Road just before the junction with Mellor Street.

 

After discussion The Township and Engagement Officer was asked to obtain a quote for the project prior to a decision being made.

 

Forum members were encouraged to submit applications for funding.

 

 

 

142.

Councillor Updates/News pdf icon PDF 314 KB

Minutes:

The following updates were provided.

 

Councillor Cocks – Please see link http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/documents/s67584/Report%20from%20Cllr%20Cocks.pdf

 

 

Councillor Massey informed the Forum of the following:

 

-       Proud to be the Assistant Portfolio Holder for Children’s Services and the Township’s Children’s Champion.

 

-       Members of the Council’s Planning and Licencing Committee and Health, Schools and Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee.

 

-       Attended an event at Falinge Park High School on dementia.

 

-       Was involved with over 40 volunteers on the Wonderwall.

 

-       Assisted Rochdale in Bloom to arrange a bicycle installation that will be placed on the grass verge in front of Cutgate Precinct. This will be part of the Tour of Britain which will pass along Mellor Street on the 14 September.

 

-       Pleased to see the opening of the new Ings Lane play area and the one in Denehurst Park (Green Flag)

 

-       Plans are still in place to complete Denehurst House which will include the creation of apartments and a café.

 

-       Please support the numerous activities and events that are taking place in Denehurst Park and Falinge Park, many of which are organised by Vintage Worx.

 

-       Looking to organise a community litter event – more details will follow.

 

 

143.

Open Forum - An opportunity for local residents to comment on issues in the ward

Minutes:

The Forum was informed of the following events:

 

1.    Around the World event in Falinge Park on the 14 July 2019

 

2.    Festival of Light event in Falinge Park on the 29 November 2019

 

Spotland Library and Spotland Community Association ‘whats on’ information will be circulated in the near future.

 

Residents raised the following issues:

 

1.    Churchill Street Footpath

 

A resident raised concerns about the state of the footpath on Churchill Street.

 

2.    Spotland Bridge Junction

 

A lengthy discussion took place regarding highway safety concerns at the Spotland Bridge junction. Exiting from Bridgefold Road being cited as a particular concern.

 

It was acknowledged that this issue had been raised several times previously with a petition being presented on one occasion requesting the junction to be made safer / user friendly. 

 

In response to a question the Forum was informed that there are no Section 106 funds available to fund highway improvements at this junction as a variation order was agreed to Section 106 monies accrued from the Mellor Street development.

 

The Forum agreed that the Township and Engagement Officer should consult with Highways with regards to them undertaking a highway study in the area. Funding for this proposal should be sought from Rochdale North Township Action and Resources Committee.

 

3.    Speeding

 

Several residents raised concerns about speeding in the Ward with the highway from Rooley Moor Road to Catley Lane Head being identified as a particular hot spot.

 

Following discussion It was agreed that In order for this perceived problem to be evaluated a speed survey should be commissioned. This would be supported from Ward Funds.

 

4.    Removal of Bus Service

 

A resident raised concerns about the inconvenience that is being caused since the removal of the bus service that serviced Daniel Fold. It was explained that the service was removed because of commercial reasons.

 

5.    Rooley Moor Road – Catley Lane Head Footpaths

 

It was reported that the above footpaths are in poor condition and require attention.

 

144.

Dates and times of the next meetings

Minutes:

Thursday 19 September 2019 – Falinge Community Hub at 7pm

 

Thursday 12 December 2019 – Spotland Methodist Church at 7pm (AGM)

 

Thursday 5 March 2020 – Spotland Methodist Church at 7pm