Agenda and minutes

Venue: Million Pavilion, Balderstone Park, Platting Lane, Rochdale OL11 2HD. View directions

Contact: Rachel Hudson - Tel: 01706 924343 

No. Item


Introductions and Apologies/Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 70 KB


The Chair welcomed all in attendance to the meeting and apologies received were noted.  Attention was drawn to the code of conduct, a summary of which was read out.  All attendees were asked to abide by the code for the duration of the meeting.


Terms of reference pdf icon PDF 123 KB


Attention was also drawn to the Terms of Reference document for all non-constituted local area forums in the Rochdale area.  The purpose, objectives, powers, etc detailed within the document were discussed.


Minutes of last meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 119 KB


The minutes of the previous meeting on 21 September 2023 were agreed.


PACT Meeting - Greater Manchester Police


Sgt Hartley-Pickles attended the meeting on behalf of GMP and provided the update.  He had recently been advised by the Chief Inspector that PACT meetings are to re-start and he would provide details of when and frequency when known.  He stated PACT meetings are a way for residents and the community to feed issues to the police.  He also explained and stressed the importance of residents reporting any issues to the police.  All intelligence can be communicated via the website, Crimestoppers and also via Bee in the Loop.

Anti-social behaviour
Members of the forum and all officers in attendance discussed anti-social behaviour within Kirkholt.  GMP stated that two meetings had recently been held with partner agencies including Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH) and Rochdale Council’s Youth Service.  The meetings had been well attended and issues that had been raised by residents had been addressed.  Incidences of anti-social behaviour had stopped and residents have reported to GMP that they are satisfied with the outcomes.  The Chair also reported that this action had been a great success and residents were feeling more secure.

GMP further reported that the anti-social behaviour around The Strand, Stoneyvale and Daventry Road was being addressed.  Neighbourhood police officers have identified the people involved and reported that they were starting to engage with the police.
Action: Councillors Massey and Meredith to meet with GMP to discuss operations that can be in place in the areas around The Strand and Balderstone Park for summer when anti-social behaviour can increase due to school holidays and light nights.

CCTV camera on community centre building in Balderstone Park
Councillor Meredith reported the CCTV camera had been removed from the community centre building and he asked for it to be reinstated as Balderstone Park may become a hot spot for anti-social behaviour in the summer months.
Action: R Dunne (Community Safety) to raise this issue within the Community Safety Team and provide an update.

Always call 999 in an emergency.
Call 101 to report incidents, crimes and matters of concern.
You can report a crime or incident or suspicious circumstances online on GMP website or via Crimestoppers.


Open Forum


Flower bulbs in Balderstone Park
Councillor Massey reported that he had spoken to the Council’s Environmental Management as agreed at the last Area Forum about the request to plant flower bulbs in Balderstone Park along the road side near to the railings.  Councillor Massey advised he has spoken again with Environmental Management and the Friends of Balderstone Park about the planting up a larger area of the park from May 2024 not just the flower beds.
Action: Councillor Massey to update as soon as possible.

Hilltop Drive speeding cars
Residents raised the issue of speeding cars around the Hilltop Drive area.  Residents asked if speed cameras could be installed or if this location could become a one way street.  GMP were asked if they could carry out speeding operations on the street.  GMP advised that they were aware of the issue and suggested some targeted speeding operations in the area involving traffic colleagues if necessary.  Councillors Massey and Meredith stated that they were aware of residents’ requests for a one way street and they have discussed the matter with the Council’s Highways who are considering options.
Action: Councillor Meredith to liaise with residents about the speeding problems and contact Highways again about options available and report back.

Daventry Road lack of parking
A resident asked if a grassed area on Daventry Road could be converted into car park spaces as limited availability of parking provision was an issue for those living in the area.
Action: Councillor Meredith to visit the site with Highways and report back.

Ruskin Road fly tipping and litter issues
Concerns were raised about fly tipping in the Ruskin Road area and the issue of residents throwing litter out of property windows.
Action: GMP and R Dunne (Community Safety) to visit the area and provide an update.


Future of Area Forums


A report was presented to Rochdale South Township Committee in February 2024 which asked Members to consider the work of the Area Forums and whether they continue to be fit for purpose.

The committee decided that the decision regarding holding Ward/Area Forum meetings be delegated to each Ward/Area Forum.  It was agreed that Balderstone and Kirkholt Area Forums would reduce from four times a year to twice yearly, but also with the remit to hold public meetings as and when needed, if a specific issue is raised.  It was agreed that GMP would continue to attend the Area Forums.  Dates of the next two meetings to be arranged.
Action: Councillor Massey to raise again with RBH their attendance at Area Forum meetings.


Members/Ward Funds


Residents were advised that Township funding for this financial year has been spent/allocated.


Councillor update


·           Balderstone Park has now received a Green Flag Award.  Thanks goes to all officers and community members involved in this process.

·           Kirkholt won a Gold award from In Bloom in the urban category.  Councillor Massey thanked all involved.

·           Work is nearly complete on the playing fields for the rugby scheme.

·           Councillor Meredith updated residents that the lay out at the junction of Ruskin Road and Balderstone Road along with a pedestrian crossing and traffic lights will be redesigned by Highways.  Details of the timeline for these works will be confirmed by the Council.

·           Friends of Rhodes Ravine have met with RBH to develop a maintenance plan.  No details as yet.  It was noted that a litter picking session has been arranged on 21 March 2024 between 10am-12 noon.




Kirkholt Million
Update was provided by C Mottershead.  The bike track will be completed at the start of 2025.  The Chair explained that following concerns about the future maintenance costs of the bike track that the Council’s Environmental Management will now cover these costs.  The Chair also explained that an exit strategy is now being worked on as to how after the funding monies are spent that the initiatives can sustain themselves as well as ensuring that the community centre is used by local groups.

Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH)
No update as no one in attendance from RBH.


Any other business


The Chair thanked Rachel Hudson (Rochdale Borough Council) for all her hard work for the Balderstone and Kirkholt Area Forum and he wished her well as she moved on to the Heywood Township.


Date and time of next meeting


To be confirmed.