Agenda and minutes

Venue: Training and Conference Suite, First Floor, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU. View directions

Contact: Peter Thompson  4715

Items
No. Item

67.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 26 KB

Members must indicate at this stage any items on the agenda in which they must declare an interest.  Members must verbally give notice of their interest at the meeting and complete the form attached with this agenda. 

 

Members are also advised to take advice with regard to any matter where there is potential bias or predetermination in any business to be considered at the meeting and whether they should take part in decision making at the meeting.

 

Members are reminded that, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011 and the Council's adopted Code of Conduct, they must declare the nature of any discloseable pecuniary interest; personal interest and/or prejudicial interest required of them and, in the case of any discloseable pecuniary interest or prejudicial interest, withdraw from the meeting during consideration of the item, unless permitted otherwise within the Code of Conduct.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Further to the Council’s Code of Conduct, Councillor Zaheer declared  a personal and prejudicial interest in respect of agenda item 4 (Rochdale Safer Communities Partnership Monitoring Report) insofar as she was the Assistant to the Cabinet Member with responsibility for the Culture, Health and Wellbeing Portfolio. Councillor Zaheer left the room during the consideration of this item of business.

 

Further to the Council’s Code of Conduct, Councillor O’Neill declared a personal interest in agenda item 5 (Rochdale Development Agency Quarter 3 – 2015/16 Performance Monitoring Report) insofar as the report refers to regeneration activity at the former Rochdale Fire Station of which he was a Trustee.

68.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 88 KB

To consider the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held 4th February 2016.

Minutes:

The Committee considered the Minutes of the meeting held on 4th February 2016.

 

Further to Minute 64 (Directorate Plans 2015/16: Quarter 3 Performance Update) the Committee was advised that the Assistant Director (Legal, Governance and Workforce) had no available staffing resource or budget to provide legal attendance at all meetings of the Township Planning Sub-Committees; Legal Services had a commitment to attend meetings of the Planning and Licensing Committee.  The Council’s Planning Service alerts Legal Services to particular issues as and when they consider it necessary, and an assessment would then be undertaken between Planning and Legal Services at that point; if there was a specific issue identified at a particular meeting, then such a meeting would be supported. The Committee also suggested that the Director of Neighbourhoods be requested to provide Members and Substitute Members of Planning meetings with appropriate training on the current regulations relating to the determination of planning applications.

 

Further to Minute 65 (Greater Manchester Spatial Framework) a Member requested that the Council’s representative to the Association of Greater Manchester’s Planning and Housing Commission be invited to attend a future meeting of this Committee regarding the development of the Spatial Development Plan for Greater Manchester.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the Minutes of the meeting of the Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee held 4th February 2016 be approved as a correct record;

            (2) the Assistant Director (Legal, Governance and Workforce) be further advised of this Committee’s request that meetings of the Council’s Township Planning Sub-Committees be attended by a suitably qualified Legal Officer due to the contentious nature of a large proportion of applications that are considered by those Sub-Committees, especially Rochdale’s Township Planning Sub-Committee;

            (3) the Director of Economy be requested to provide Members of Planning meetings including substitute Members with appropriate training on the current regulations relating to the determination of planning applications;

            (4) the Council’s representative to the Association of Greater Manchester’s Planning and Housing Commission be invited to attend a future meeting of this Committee regarding the development of the Spatial Development Plan for Greater Manchester.

69.

Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Work Programme 2015/2016 pdf icon PDF 135 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report of the Head of Legal and Governance Reform which presented the Committee’s Work Programme for 2015/2016, to which were appended notes of an informal session that Members of the Committee had held on 4th February 2016 which had considered various operational issues relating to the Discretionary Crisis Fund.

 

The Committee’s report also included at Appendix 4 notes of an informal meeting of the Committee’s membership, held on 29th February 2016, to discuss developments at Rochdale’s Town Centre East project, that were considered separately at Minute 75 below, after the exclusion of the press and public.

 

Members of the Committee noted that the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee, at is meeting on 30th March 2016, was due to receive a presentation by the Director of Neighbourhoods addressing the corporate issues raised by the serious flooding incident that occurred at different parts of the Borough on 26th December 2016, and requested that copies of the presentation, when published, be forwarded to members of this Committee.

 

DECIDED that (1) the report be noted;

            (2) the notes of the informal meeting of the Committee held on 4th February 2016 considering issues relating to the Discretionary Crisis Fund, be noted;

            (3) the presentation of the Director of Neighbourhood’s addressing flooding in the Borough on 26th December 2016, that is due to be considered by the Corporate Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 30th March 2016, be forwarded to Members of this Committee for information purposes.

70.

Rochdale Safer Communities Partnership: Quarter 3 - 2015/16 - Performance Monitoring Report pdf icon PDF 199 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which provided Members with a summary of how the Rochdale Safer Communities Partnership (RSCP) had performed against its targets during the third quarter of 2015/2016 (October 2015 - December 2015). In presenting the report the Director referred to revised managements structures in the Neighbourhood Directorate that would directly impact on the Community Safety Team.

 

The Committee were advised that the RSCP is a statutory partnership in the Borough of Rochdale with responsibility for ensuring that the Borough is a safer place. The Partnership’s Plan highlighted seven strategic priorities as follows: to increase confidence and satisfaction; to reduce crime; to reduce the harm caused by drugs and alcohol; to prevent and tackle anti–social behaviour; to prevent offending (and re-offending) by children and young people; to prevent adult re-offending; to develop community cohesion. It was against these priorities that the Committee scrutinised the performance of the Partnership.

 

The Committee were advised of crime figures for the third quarter 2015/16 (September – December) highlighting some notable reductions in crime and anti-social behaviour across the Borough. In particular the Borough’s Balderstone and Kirkholt, West Middleton and Heywood North Wards had seen reductions in total crime, as well as ant-social behaviour. There had been Borough-wide reductions in overall crime but some areas had shown increases in violent crime.

 

In considering the report a Member referred to the audit that had been carried out by the Borough’s Safeguarding Boards for Adults and Children to assess arrangements which agencies have in place to meet the new ‘Prevent Duty’ and requested that the findings of this audit be forwarded to Members of the Committee when it has been completed.

 

Members noted that this was the last occasion at which Mr. Andy Glover, Head of Community Services, would be attending a meeting of this Committee prior to his retirement in May 2016.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the report be noted;

(2) the Director of Neighbourhoods be requested to circulate to Members of the Committee details of the revised management structures that have recently been introduced in the Neighbourhoods Directorate;

(3) the Director of Neighbourhoods be requested to circulate the findings of the ‘Prevent Duty’ audits, that are being carried out by the Borough’s Safeguarding Boards for Adults and Children, to Members of the Committee when they have been completed;

(4) the Committee expresses its appreciation of the work carried out by Mr. Andy Glover during his time as an employee of Rochdale Borough Council.

71.

Rochdale Development Agency: Quarter 3 - 2015/16 - Performance Monitoring Report pdf icon PDF 158 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which provided Members with performance information on the activities of the Rochdale Development Agency (RDA) which are undertaken on behalf of the Council, for the third quarter of 2015/16 (October - December).

 

In considering the report a Member of the Committee enquired about bus routes to and from the Kingsway Business Park in Rochdale and was advised that funding had been secured for the continuation of these transport services for at least the next 12 months.

 

A Member sought clarification on the budget allocation for Rochdale Development Agency and for more detailed information of savings proposals that had been approved by the Council and which directly impacted upon Rochdale Development Agency.

 

A Member referred to information contained in the report relating to RDA and the Council’s ongoing work with New Economy (detailed at paragraph 1.8 to Appendix 1 of the submitted report) and requested that future RDA performance reports to this Committee include information on work with New Economy.

 

 DECIDED – That (1) the report be noted;

(2) the Director of Economy be requested to write to Members of the Committee clarifying details of the RDA’s budget allocation received from Rochdale Borough Council, and upon savings proposals that were approved by the Council on 24th February 2016 which affected Rochdale Development Agency

(3) the Director of Economy be requested to include details of the work that RDA and the Council undertake with New Economy in future performance reports to this Committee.

72.

Street Lighting PFI Quarterly Update: Quarter 3 - 2015/16 - Performance Monitoring Report pdf icon PDF 260 KB

Director of Neighbourhoods to report.

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods the purpose of which was to provide a quarterly update to Members on the Street Lighting PFI for the third quarter of 2015/16 (October – December). The Street lighting PFI Client Management Team had been working closely with the Service Provider to implement the improvements requested by previous meetings of this Committee and of the former Overview and Scrutiny Committee and it was now considered that the Street Lighting Service had addressed the previous concerns.

 

The Client Monitoring Team has continued to meet with the Service Provider to discuss progress and resolve problems and complaints that arise as a result of the replacement programme. These meetings, together with ongoing regular meetings with the Chairs of the Council’s Township Committees have assisted in getting problems associated with the contract resolved and helped in a better working relationship between the parties and with elected Members.

 

In considering the report Members of the Committee raised issues relating to missing bins after the replacement of street lighting columns, street lights being left on during day-light hours and the length of time taken to carry out repairs to defective lighting columns. The Director of Neighbourhoods advised that information relating to missing bins should be reported to the Council’s Environmental Management Service.

 

The Director of Neighbourhoods reported that the PFI project would continue to be monitored across established performance standards by the Client Monitoring Team and when applicable, financial adjustments will be applied as a means of incentivising the Service Provider. At the request of the Committee, it was intended to amend the approach for seeking public feedback on the street lighting service and change the process from a letter issued to residents’ properties to an electronic form hosted via the ‘My Site’ application on the Council’s website. This application was currently being developed by the Council’s ICT teams for implementation later on in 2016.

 

The Committee considered future performance monitoring arrangements. A performance indicator for the street lighting service was also to be added onto ‘Performance Manager’ for the period 2016/17. This indicator would form part of the Neighbourhoods’ performance dashboard submitted to the Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Meetings were being held with each of the Council’s Township Chair every month to discuss progress and performance in addition to a separate monthly meeting with the Council’s Highway Champions. Complaints and requests from Members will continue to be recorded on the Members Enquiry System and monitored against timescales.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the report be noted;

            (2) in terms of future reporting arrangements for Street Lighting PFI performance reports the Director of Neighbourhoods be requested to submit a  report detailing performance in the 4th Quarter 2015/16 to the Committee’s next scheduled meeting with a further report outlining revised arrangements approximately three months after that (September/October 2016) and future reporting arrangements thereafter being reported every six months, either as a stand-alone report or as part of the wider Neighbourhoods Directorate performance reports.

73.

GMCA/AGMA Scrutiny Pool pdf icon PDF 285 KB

To note the minutes of the meetings held 15th January and 12th February 2016.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

DECIDED – That the Minutes of the meetings of the GMCA/AGMA Scrutiny Pool held 15th January 2016 and 12th February 2016 be noted.

74.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To consider excluding the press and public from the meeting during consideration of the following item of business in accordance with the provisions of Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, as amended.

Minutes:

DECIDED – That the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following item of business since it is likely that, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, if members of the public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, namely information relating to the business or financial affairs of any particular person (including the authority holding that information).

75.

Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee - Work Programme 2015/2016 (Appendix 4)

Notes of an Informal session of Committee Members held 29th February 2016

Minutes:

Further to minute 69 above, the Committee considered the notes of an informal meeting of the Committee’s membership regarding Town Centre East developments that was held on 29th February 2016.

 

Members in considering the notes of this meeting agreed that a further informal meeting should be held prior to October 2016 has had been previously agreed and it was suggested that Wednesday, 6th April 2016 be a suitable date, ahead of the Council meeting that was scheduled for later on that evening.

 

DECIDED – That (1) the notes of the Informal Meeting of Members of the Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee, held 29th February 2016, be noted;

            (2) a further informal meeting of the Committee’s membership be held on 6th April 2016 regarding Rochdale’s Town Centre East developments and that the Chief Executive, Director of Resources, Director of Economy and the Assistant Director (Legal, Governance and Workforce) be also requested to attend.