Venue: Training and Conference Suite, First Floor, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU. View directions
Contact: Peter Thompson 01706 924715
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor West, Councillor Peter Williams and Councillor Winkler.
Declarations of Interest
Members are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary, personal or personal and prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests relating to items on this agenda and/or indicate if S106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.
There were no declarations of interest.
Urgent Items of Business
To determine whether there are any additional items of business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chair decides should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.
There were no urgent items of business.
The Committee to consider a decision made by the Cabinet that has been called-in by Members of the Council.
The Committee considered the report of the Director of Resources which presented details of a decision that has been made by the Cabinet, at its meeting on 30th July (minute 28: Disposal of Land at Starkey Street/Langton Street, Heywood), which had been called-in by Councillors O’Rourke and Rush.
Councillors Rush and O’Rourke had called-in this item for the following reasons:
1) There was insufficient consultation on the proposals. In the Cabinet’s report it mentions that there has been consultation with the North Heywood members
and discussion with the Chair of Heywood Township. Moreover the report states that Heywood North Councillors oppose the move without giving any detailed narrative in support.
2) Lack of understanding of the decision that Cabinet has made and the reasons for the decision being made. In this regard it is possible that one Cabinet Member was of the opinion that the land was being disposed at another location.
Councillor Brett, Chair of Cabinet, Councillors O’Rourke and Rush, the calling in Members, Councillor Dutton and a member of the public addressed the Committee with regard to the call in.
1. That the matter be referred back to Cabinet for reconsideration with the following recommendations:
2. That the way consultation responses on future reports of this nature is included be reviewed to ensure that the views of Townships are fully incorporated;
3. That it be noted that the Communities Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee will undertake a review of the whole process for disposals of land as part of their work programme.