Agenda and minutes

Venue: Training and Conference Suite, First Floor, Number One Riverside, Smith Street, Rochdale, OL16 1XU. View directions

Contact: Peter Thompson  Senior Committee Services Officer

Items
No. Item

18.

Apologies

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Emsley, Kelly and Angela Smith.

19.

Declarations of Interest

Members are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary, personal or personal and prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests relating to items on this agenda and/or indicate if S106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.   

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interests.

20.

Urgent Items of Business

To determine whether there are any additional items of business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chair decides should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

The Chair advised that there were no urgent items of business for this meeting of the Committee to consider.

21.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 141 KB

To consider the Minutes of the meetings of the Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee held 6th July and 22nd July 2021.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Resolved:

That the Minutes of the meetings of the Communities, Regeneration and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee held 6th July and 22nd July 2021 be approved as correct records.

22.

Notes of Meeting pdf icon PDF 67 KB

To receive notes of an Informal Meeting of the Committee’s membership held 14th September 2021.

Minutes:

Resolved:
That the notes of an Informal Meeting of the Committee’s membership, held 14th September 2021, be noted.

23.

Littleborough Station Supplementary Planning Document pdf icon PDF 171 KB

The Committee is invited to comment on the content of the Draft Supplementary Planning Document as part of a consultation with key stakeholders. 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised a report of the Director of Economy which advised that a draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) had been produced for consultation purposes for the Littleborough Station area to support the redevelopment and renewal of the area by providing detailed planning and design advice. The report sought the views of the Committee on the content of the Draft SPD as part of the consultation with key stakeholders.

 

In considering this matter the Committee noted that the report had previously been submitted to the Pennines Township Committee’s meeting on 8th September 2021 where Member’s views on the proposals, contained therein, were sought. In this regard Councillor Dearnley addressed the Committee and members of the public who were in attendance to clarify comments that he had made during the Township Committee’s meeting on 8th September 2021 and to apologise for any misunderstanding or offence that his comments, at that meeting, may have caused.

 

The Committee was informed that as set out in the National Planning Policy Framework, Supplementary Planning Documents build upon and provide more detailed advice or guidance on the policies in the Local Plan. Regulations 11 to 16 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012 set out the requirements for producing SPDs. Regulation 12 requires that consultation is undertaken prior to the adoption of an SPD.

 

In considering the submitted report, members of the public, who were in attendance were permitted to address members on the draft proposals. In considering the submissions the Committee noted the request to remove those elements of the SPD that related to Victoria Street, Littleborough.

 

The Committee were advised by the Assistant Director (Economy) that:

  • The report presented to the Committee was the start of the process and presented initial aspirations and indicative plans to express the objectives of the SPD to inform any consultation as part of a series of regeneration plans being developed for land and buildings around the Train Stations across the Borough. Having an SPD in place would assist in attracting funding for schemes in future;
  • All stakeholders were being encouraged to submit responses, comments and suggestions. In other parts of the Borough, stakeholder input had led to draft SPD’s being changed following consultation;
  • One of the aims of the SPD was to make improvements to the public realm around the Train Station;
  • Transport for Greater Manchester were involved in discussions around buses and bus movements at the Train Station and more detailed designs would be developed with the aim of improving pedestrian routes in the area;
  • That there had been some limited consultation to date with some local landowners  but those who had not been consulted earlier now had the opportunity to make their views known and these would be taken into account as part of the formal consultation process;
  • The proposals for Church Street related to the pedestrian routes possibly being widened and not narrowing the carriageway;
  • Car parking was an issue raised by residents and businesses and this needed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 23.

24.

Lower Falinge Supplementary Planning Document pdf icon PDF 222 KB

To scrutinise the outcome of a public consultation on the draft Lower Falinge Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinsed a report of the Cabinet Member for Economy and Communications/Director of Economy which summarised the outcome of the public consultation on the draft Lower Falinge Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) and the Council’s response to these, and recommended Township approved the amended SPD for the consideration of Cabinet for adoption.

 

The Committee was advised that if the SPD was not adopted it could undermine a co-ordinated place making strategy for Rochdale’s Lower Falinge area - instead any proposed re-development would have to be dealt with through stand-alone planning applications. Proposals for investment and development would also have to be considered on a piecemeal basis. Rehousing residents within the local area, close to their existing home and the Town Centre, would become challenging, and housing market failure would not be addressed. There was a risk that the opportunity for a significant number of new homes to be built within this area, adjacent to the Town Centre, if the SPD was not delivered.

 

Resolved:

1.    That the representations received in response to the consultation on the draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) be noted and that the amendments included in the revised document and the Schedule of Comments included within the Statement of Consultation be supported.

2    That Cabinet be recommended to adopt the revised Lower Falinge Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).

25.

Place Base Working pdf icon PDF 287 KB

Preventon Lead – Place Team to report/present

Additional documents:

Minutes:

In response to a previous request from the Chair and members of this Committee the Prevention Lead – Place Team (Neighbourhoods Directorate) gave an update presentation on progress around Place based working, especially with regard to reform and integration implications.

 

The presentation represented an update of what had happened during the 2021 summer months towards the next steps for ‘Place Based Working’, support for people experiencing multiple disadvantages, prevention of crisis and participatory approaches to research, development and action.

 

The presentation was also part of an ongoing conversation with the Overview and Scrutiny Committee about the work and how Members can assist in the development and roll-out of ‘Place Based Working’. The report asked that Members note the progress and to think about some of the ways in which the committee would like to scrutinise and challenge “whole system” issues such as integration, reform and prevention, as they present operationally in the work that happens in communities and places.

 

The Committee was asked to note the merging of the work of council teams which provide support for groups and also coordinating how support is to be planned and delivered for groups through a MEAM approach (Making Every Adult Matter).

 

It was important that awareness of the development of place based support in the context of a local prevention strategy which aimed to reduce the likelihood of adversity or risk by bringing responses and opportunities together. This whole system/all age prevention strategy and work-plan was currently being developed and would include a whole system workforce development pathway to enable those who work or volunteer to help people in the borough to identify and respond to potential adversity and to create opportunities through a Good Help approach.

 

The Committee noted the possibility of a Partnerships for People and Place programme in the borough which would seek to define “prevention” from the lens of a small locality (which was currently awaiting ministerial approval)

 

Another key element was to note the points of difference in findings from an anonymised participatory process which found similarities across lived experience and workforce groups, independently identified. Members were asked to note the potential that scrutiny could support and enable culture change by expecting that these points are explicitly built into the value base driving support for adults experiencing multiple disadvantage and to engage with an ongoing programme of participatory action and research.

 

The Committee welcomed the presentation and were greatly encouraged by the amount of positive community based work that was presently going on within the Borough and the scope for this work to be extended to other parts of the Borough. Members expressed a wish to be kept updated on developments and to receive further update presentations/reports at opportune occasions.

 

Resolved:

1.    That the presentation be noted and welcomed.

2.    That further update presentations/reports be submitted, to future meetings of the Committee, at opportune occasions.

26.

The Challenge of Climate Change in Rochdale

Climate Change and Sustainability Project Manager to update.

Minutes:

The Chair advised that it was proposed to establish a Scrutiny Study Group to examine the issue of the Climate Emergency. The membership of the Study Group would consist of the Chairs and Vice Chairs of the Council’s three overview and scrutiny committees plus all other members of this committee. Draft terms of reference for the Study Group were submitted for Member’s information.

 

Resolved:

1.    That the establishment of a Climate Emergency Scrutiny Study Group be approved.

2.    The terms of reference for the Climate Emergency Scrutiny Study Group be approved.

27.

Proposed Fly Tipping Strategy and Action Plan pdf icon PDF 110 KB

Director of Neighbourhoods to report

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods, which proposed a council-wide strategy to deal with the issue of fly tipping. Fly tipping nationally and locally was a significant problem and a draft strategy had been prepared to tackle fly tipping in Rochdale along with an action plan. A number of initiatives were proposed and members’ views thereon were sought, both on the strategy and the action plan prior to it being submitted to Cabinet for adoption.

 

The Committee, at previous meetings, had asked for a report on fly tipping to be presented to it for consideration and which outlined what actions could be taken by the council to reduce incidents of fly tipping and where possible undertake suitable enforcement action against the perpetrators.

 

Resolved:

That the proposed Fly Tipping Strategy and Action Alan, as presented to the Committee, be supported and that the Cabinet, at its meeting on 23rd November 2021, be recommended to give its formal approval. 

28.

Economy Directorate Plans 2021-22: Quarter 1 Performance Update pdf icon PDF 141 KB

First Quarter 2021/2022, performance report - Economy Directorate.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised the progress at the end of Quarter 1 (1st April – 30th June 2021) towards achievement of the targets contained in the Economy Directorate Plan 2021/2022 (incorporating the work of Rochdale Development Agency).

 

In accordance with the Council’s performance management framework, progress toward targets contained within Directorate Plans are to be reported to relevant Overview and Scrutiny Committees at the end of each quarter.

 

100% (11) of the actions included in the Directorate Plan 2021/2022 were still ongoing but were expected to be completed during the course of the second and third quarters of 2021/2022. It was noted that some directorate plan actions had been delayed, with some work being paused, due to the unforeseen impacts of Covid-19 and some actions had been carried forward from 2020/2021 but which were expected to be completed during Quarter 2 (2021/2022).

 

Resolved:

That the Quarter 1 (1st April – 30th June 2021) progress towards achievement of the targets contained in the Economy Directorate Plan 2021/2022 (incorporating the work of Rochdale Development Agency) be noted.

29.

Neighbourhoods Directorate Plans 2021-22: Quarter 1 Performance Update pdf icon PDF 147 KB

First Quarter 2021/2022, performance report - Neighbourhoods Directorate.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee scrutinised the progress at the end of Quarter 1 (1st April – 30th June 2021) towards achievement of the targets contained in the Neighbourhoods Directorate Plan 2021/2022.

 

In accordance with the Council’s performance management framework, progress toward targets contained within Directorate Plans are to be reported to the relevant Overview and Scrutiny Committee at the end of each quarter.

 

100% (23) of the actions included in the Directorate Plan 2021/2022 were still ongoing but were expected to be completed during the course of the second and third quarters of 2021/2022. It was noted that some Directorate Plan actions had been delayed, with some work being paused, due to the unforeseen impacts of Covid-19 and some actions had been carried forward from 2020/2021 but which were expected to be completed during Quarter 2 (2021/2022).

 

The Committee noted and congratulated the relevant teams within the Directorate for their success in obtaining high achievement awards from the Municipal Journal’s annual awards event. Members noted that it was good to see staff from the Council gaining national recognition for their outstanding work.

 

Resolved:

That the Quarter 1 (1st April – 30th June 2021) progress towards achievement of the targets contained in the Neighbourhoods Directorate Plan 2021/2022 be noted.