Agenda and minutes

Venue: Milnrow Cricket Club, Harbour Lane, Milnrow OL16 4HF. View directions

Contact: Tracey Knight - Tel 01706 922227 

Items
No. Item

1.

Introductions, Apologies and Code of Conduct pdf icon PDF 76 KB

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and introductions were made.  Attendees were asked to abide by the code of conduct for the duration of the meeting.

2.

PACT - Greater Manchester Police

Minutes:

PC Hutchinson introduced himself and explained that he is the new Neighbourhood Beat Officer for the local area.  He is getting to know the area and he is hoping to increase foot patrols during his shifts.

Crime figures:

Milnrow & Newhey

Jan 2019

Feb 2019

Mar 2019

Residential burglary

6

7

9

Commercial burglary

5

3

1

Theft from motor vehicle

9

15

6

Theft of motor vehicle

5

6

3

Criminal damage

3

18

9

Drug related

0

1

0

 

Firgrove

Jan 2019

Feb 2019

Mar 2019

Residential burglary

1

4

2

Commercial burglary

2

1

1

Theft from motor vehicle

3

2

1

Theft of motor vehicle

0

0

1

Criminal damage

6

2

3

Drug related

0

0

1

 

Reported ASB incident figures

Jan 2019

Feb 2019

Mar 2019

Milnrow & Newhey

11

12

6

Firgrove

7

4

3

 

Police updates

·         PC Adams is now part of the Volume Crime Team which deals with a range of offences that are being committed by the same person/people.

·         The 101 number is a national issue.  Residents were encouraged to use the live chat facility from the GMP website.  PC Hutchinson will feedback residents’ 101 concerns to his supervisors.

·         There are new Police Officers in post, therefore, numbers/resources have increased.

·         Investigations are ongoing regarding young people being coerced into crime; some are local youths and some aren’t.

·         Councillor Blundell advised that he did write to Baroness Beverley Hughes, Greater Manchester's Deputy Mayor, and her response was that GMP are doing their best with the resources available.

 

Residents’ questions and concerns

·         A discussion took place regarding the GMP statistics.  The reasons why violent and sexual crimes are not listed was explained.

·         Residents agree that local police communications on social media have improved, and it would also be good to see communications regarding changes to the neighbourhood policing staff on social media.

3.

Milnrow and Newhey Resident Watch

Minutes:

David Kendall introduced himself and Gillian Lennon to the forum and he gave an update on the progress of their community group.  GMP senior officers are supportive of the Street Watch project and GMP has agreed to fund the insurance for volunteers.  A constitution is now in place and a dedicated bank account is in the process of being set up.  Volunteers will be vetted and given guidance by GMP before taking part in the scheme.

Councillors asked if they could know more about the remit of the group; it was suggested that a discussion needs to take place for David and Gillian to update the Ward Councillors.

There was a discussion about the crimes posted on social media not correlating with the crime statistics reported by GMP.  It was explained that there is some education
needed concerning reporting of crime which will be addressed by the group.

Volunteers are needed and they will be recruited via application; anybody wishing to get involved can contact the group via their M&N Resident Watch Facebook page or email
milnrow.newhey@gmail.com

The forum praised the work of the group in particular the progress and partnership made with GMP.

4.

Minutes of the previous meeting and matters arising pdf icon PDF 139 KB

Minutes:

The minutes of the last meeting were accepted as a true record.

Action updates

Request damaged bin replacement on Sycamore Avenue/Laburnum Way
The bin was replaced on 3 November 2018.

Seek Highways’ advice regarding the installation of parking bays on Huddersfield Road
Highways have advised that when this scheme was suggested in 2013 the construction cost was approx. £25,000 and the diversion of utilities apparatus was £86,000 which is prohibitive and therefore not feasible.

Back field at Severn Drive
Response received from Rochdale Council’s Drainage Officer
I went to look at the area to view the current situation.  Land Drainage law relevant to this situation is summarised as follows: A person or organisation who owns adjacent land (usually lower lying land) has to accept any natural land drainage water (spring water, ground water or rainwater surface water run-off) from adjacent land unless the owner of the adjacent land has carried out "improvements" such that the run-off from the land isn't "natural" - for example if the entire back garden or land has been paved over.  The farmland behind no. 1 Derwent Avenue is simply a field and doesn’t appear to have ‘improved the land’.  The resident of no.1 Derwent Avenue can only expect rainwater running off this land to be dealt with by the landowner if it was to become a housing development site.  By reference to RBC’s land allocations
http://rochdale.gov.uk/draftallocationsmaps#housing this land does not seem to be scheduled for housing, but I cannot be sure as this is not my department.

Resurfacing Willows Lane
Highways has requested Balfour Beatty organise a further back sweep for the full length of Willows Lane and letter drop residents to avoid parked car issues.

Resurfacing Newfield View
The area has been inspected and meets the standards considering the surface had to be laid by hand.

Parking at Hollingworth Academy
Highways have advised they will arrange to have the lines in this location refreshed as part of the lines maintenance programme.  It is likely that this will be undertaken closer to the summer months due to road marking being a weather dependent task which should be done during the warmer, drier months of the year.

Parking was discussed and residents are concerned about access for emergency vehicles and the dangers to all road users during peak times.  The congested traffic prevents buses from being able to leave.  The Chair will speak to the school regarding the bus issue to establish the complaints made, and any information will be passed to Highways.
Action 1: Establish the complaints made by the bus company to Hollingworth Academy (Steve Lowe)

5.

Open Forum

Minutes:

Community Speed Watch
The forum was advised that GMP are to provide dates when they are next available to assist with the campaign.  A resident will be leading on this initiative during the pre-election period.

Coronation Lodge
The issue is still with the Council’s Planning and Legal departments, and this situation may lead to prosecutions in the future depending on the outcome.

Milnrow and Newhey Masterplan
Priorities will need to be set for the villages.  Transport for Greater Manchester has a budget available for new car parks; the issue is usually that they don’t have land available.

Crossing patrols
Residents expressed their concern regarding the crossing patrol proposal and the safety impact.  It was explained that the Council are not proposing they remove the crossing patrol, they are proposing they remove the budget and ask schools to pay for the service themselves.

Brook at Butterworth Hall
A resident expressed their concern and frustration that the work needed to clear debris from the brook has not yet been carried out.  Councillor Davidson explained that the Environment Agency (EA) are responsible for the work and she is working with Council Officers to ensure that the EA fulfil their responsibilities and carry out the necessary work to ensure the water flows as it should which will help prevent the flooding of the residents’ homes.
Action 2: Update residents with progress (Councillor Davidson)

Pedestrian Island top of Bentgate Street
Residents reported that the island was badly damaged in a road traffic accident in December last year and the repairs have still not been carried out.  Debris from the crash hasn’t been removed and residents are concerned for the safety of the school children and pedestrians who have to use the island in its current state.
Action 3: Liaise with Highways to request immediate action and update residents (Councillor Bamford)

Harbour Lane gully and footpath
A resident reported that the gully is higher than the footpath causing water to pool and as a result the surface of the footpath is breaking up causing an uneven surface which presents hazards for pedestrians.
Action 4: Request Highways inspection (Tracey Knight)

Rear of Rochdale Road, Firgrove
A resident raised a number of issues regarding the land at the rear of Rochdale Road.  Some issues have been dealt with by Environmental Management.
Action 5: Request Clean and Green Team clean-up (Tracey Knight)

Pot holes
Pot holes were reported at the rear of Sandringham Drive and Fairway; Bentgate Street and bottom of Severn Drive (the cobbles are also loose at this location).
Action 6: Report to Highways and request inspection (Tracey Knight)

Balfour Beatty Contract
A discussion took place regarding the tender process for awarding the highways contract.  Residents raised concerns about the standard of work from Balfour Beatty.  Residents were advised that an Officer has now been employed to inspect the contractor’s work.

Experimental Traffic Regulation Order on Ladyhouse Close
A resident spoke against the Order which prevents vehicular access onto Ladyhouse Close from Elizabethan Way.  For residents in  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

External Funding Update

Minutes:

Ellenroad
Ellenroad was unsuccessful in their HLF £38,000 grant application; this was due to lack of funds available and they have been invited to apply again.

St James Church
St James Church have secured a £10,000 HLF grant which they are match funding themselves.  Work will begin shortly to restore the memorial and improve the footpaths.

Milnrow Clock
The Council have a budget of £20,000 and £3,000-£4,000 has been spent on preliminary work.  It is envisaged that the total cost of restoring the clock will be £50,000.  The Township has been asked to submit a Heritage Lottery Fund grant application for the remaining funds needed.

7.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

The forum was reminded that future meetings would be paperless.  Agenda papers will continue to be emailed to attendees but paper copies will not be provided to everybody on the night of the meeting.  A resident suggested using QR codes for those with smart phones so that they can access the paperwork on their mobiles at the meetings.
Action 10: Establish if using QR codes is feasible (Tracey Knight)

8.

Future Meeting Dates

Minutes:

6 June 2019


Police contact details:

Rochdale East
Tel                0161 856 8549
Email           
rochdaleeast@gmp.police.uk
Facebook     GMPRochdaleEast
Twitter          @gmprochdaleeast

Crimestoppers 0800 555 111
www.crimestoppers-uk.org
GMP Live Chat https://goo.gl/KsUihd
Police non-emergency calls 101
Emergency calls 999

PC Stephen Hutchinson
Email:
Stephen.Hutchinson@gmp.police.uk

Milnrow and Newhey Resident Watch: M&N Resident Watch - Home