Venue: Zoom Meeting
Contact: Alison James Committee and Constitutional Services Officer
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Meredith.
Declarations of Interest
Members are required to declare any disclosable pecuniary, personal or personal and prejudicial interests they may have and the nature of those interests relating to items on this agenda and/or indicate if S106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies to them.
There were no declarations of interest.
Urgent Items of Business
To determine whether there are any additional items of business which, by reason of special circumstances, the Chair decides should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency.
There were no urgent items of business.
To consider the Minutes of the Rochdale South Delegated Sub-Committee held on 10th December 2020.
1. That Minutes of the meeting of the Rochdale South Township Delegated Sub-Committee held on 10th December 2020 be approved and signed as a correct record.
To consider the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods.
The Sub-Committee considered a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods which provided an update on revenue and capital expenditure, commitments and balances of Rochdale South Township Funds 2020/2021 and to enable the allocation of funds to proposed projects.
In considering the funding applications the Sub-Committee received oral representations from the applicant’s and/or their representatives, who were in attendance at the meeting.
Members were asked to decide whether or not to approve the allocation of funds to projects/schemes as appropriate.
1. That the expenditure, commitments and balances of the Rochdale South Township Funds 2020/21, as detailed in Appendices 1 and 2 of the submitted report be noted;
2. That the decisions made under delegated authority as detailed in Appendix 3 of the submitted report be noted;
3. That the Townships and Communities Manager, in consultation with the Chair, Vice Chair and opposition spokesperson of the Sub-Committee, be given delegated authority to make decisions on any deferred projects;
4. It be noted that the Townships and Communities Manager has assessed the proposed projects to be considered for funding against the criteria of eligibility for the Rochdale South Township Fund, the priorities of the Township and any specific risks have been identified in the report;
5. That applications for Township Funds 2020/21, (as outlined at Appendix 4 of the submitted report); be dealt with as follows:-
a) RP/12/20 Tackling Minds – allocation of £2000 approved in principle with the final decision delegated to the Chair, Vice-Chair and Opposition Spokesperson pending the decisions of other Townships on this application;
b) RP/21/20 Football v Anti-social behaviour at Burton Park – allocation of £682.36 approved;
c) RP/11/20 Chicane barrier and replace fence at Lock 24, Off Crawford Street – allocation of £2178 approved;
d) RP/15/20 Half Acre Drive and Linnet Hill Waiting Restrictions – allocation of £4500 approved;
e) RP/19/20 Count Street/Kingsway Waiting Restrictions – allocation of £5500 approved;
f) RP/22/20 Palatine Street Alleyway Street Light – allocation of £5366.19 approved;
g) RP/24/20 British Legion Grave Memorial Restoration – allocation of £1366.08 approved;
h) RP/25/20 Bury Road and Sandy Lane Junction Investigation – allocation of £15,000 approved.
Reasons for the decisions:
The management of the Rochdale South Township Fund is delegated to the Rochdale South Township Action and Resources Delegated Sub Committee.
Rochdale South Township Funds are allocated to projects that benefit the Township’s community and environment, and realise the Township priorities.
To enable the Sub-Committee to monitor and review the use of the Rochdale South Township Funds to ensure continued efficient and effective use of the funds.
Eligible for call in – Yes
To consider the report of the Director of Neighbourhoods.
The Sub-Committee was advised that the Cabinet, at its meeting on 9th February 2021, had approved the procurement, implementation and operation of an intended e-scooter trial in the Borough (minute 94 refers). The Sub-Committee, further to the Cabinet’s resolution received a report of the Director of Neighbourhoods that was seeking approval from both Rochdale Township Delegated Sub-Committees (North and South) to raise an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO) to give effect to the Cabinet’s decision.
1. The Sub-Committee notes that following the Council’s successful application to Government for 12-month trial operation of a rental e-scooter scheme, the Cabinet had on 9th February 2021 granted approval to commence the procurement process for an appropriate rental operator to supply and manage the Council’s pilot scheme.
2. The Sub-Committee notes that although specific details are yet to be confirmed, it was envisaged that the trial area would encompass a one mile radius of the Town Centre, including Rochdale Railway Station and other key amenities, with the trial period intending to commence on 31st March 2021.
3. The Sub-Committee notes that only those e-scooters to be supplied and operated (with the necessary insurance for riders) through the trial rental programme will be legally permitted to use the public highway and that privately-owned and operated e-scooters shall be excluded.
4. The Sub-Committee notes that the Council needs to ensure that all relevant Traffic Regulation Orders (for cycle lanes and for any specific cycle tracks which would need to be re-designated) are changed on an experimental basis to formally accommodate legal access and use by rental e-scooters.
5. The Sub-Committee grants approval for the Council’s Highways Service to commence the process of necessary legal amendment through the raising of an ETRO for the e-scooter trial.
Reasons for the decision:
Although the existing cycle lane signs and road markings, in the designated area, do not need amendment nor the provision of supplementary information, the Council does however need to update all of its existing cycling-related Traffic Regulation Orders across the trial area by means of an ETRO to include wording that permits use by rental e-scooters.
Eligible for Call-in: Yes