Agenda item

PACT - Greater Manchester Police

Minutes:

Crime Figures:

 

Milnrow & Newhey

Jul 2018

Aug 2018

Sept 2018

Residential burglary

4

3

2

Commercial burglary

0

4

3

Theft from motor vehicle

3

7 (3 x plates)

5 (3 x plates)

Theft of motor vehicle

7

2

1

Criminal damage

10

5

5

ASB incidents

12

7

2

Drugs

1 (Cocaine)

0

0

Drugs

3 (Cannabis)

0

0

 

Smallbridge & Firgrove

Jul 2018

Aug 2018

Sept 2018

Residential burglary

2

1

4

Commercial burglary

0

2

0

Theft from motor vehicle

1

0

1

Theft of motor vehicle

1

2

0

Criminal damage

5

10

3

ASB incidents

4

7

4

Drugs

0

0

0

 

Police updates

·         There have been four reports of drug offences during the past three months, one for possession of cocaine and three for possession of cannabis.

·         Due to the number of vehicle registration plate thefts, GMP are in the process of organising a safe plate scheme for residents.  Details of the scheme will be advertised in due course.

·         There has been a reduced number of PSCOs during the last twelve months, this is due to long term staff sickness and a vacant post which has recently been recruited to.  A Neighbourhood Officer has also been recently recruited.  A visual Police presence should increase.

·         There will be a new shift pattern implemented at the end of October which should see an increase in Officers that are available to respond.

·         GMP are aware of the speeding issues; it is a very emotive subject that is difficult to solve in the long term.

·         GMP have Community Speed Watch equipment available for use by the community.  The results are unable to be used as evidence, however, an evidential speed gun is on order for use locally in traffic operations by Officers.

 

Residents’ concerns

·         The 101 response times are far too high; callers can wait over one hour for the call to be answered.

·         The 101 call handler doubts the validity of the issues being reported and on one occasion accused the resident of “over reacting” to the anti-social behaviour issues being reported.

·         “Spice heads” loitering in a zombie state and sleeping at the Metrolink tram stop.  They are a drain on resources; the ambulance frequently attends incidents when they fall over and hurt themselves.  Why can’t more be done to resolve this issue.

·         Residents have provided drug dealers’ addresses to the Police but no action has been taken.

GMP advised that intelligence is gathered sometimes over long periods of time especially when there are complex cases with linked criminality.

·         Residents are worried that their concerns are not being taken seriously and recorded properly.  The crime stats don’t reflect the number of calls made by some of the residents that were present at the meeting.

GMP advised people to also use the online chat via the GMP website and Crimestoppers.  Some recent intelligence provided to Crimestoppers led to a good result in Littleborough.

·         Residents have repeatedly reported witnessing drug related activity happening on the streets.  Drugs paraphernalia is highly visible at the scene yet there has been no patrols by the Police.

·         A resident has been advised by a PCSO that crimes reported that relate to Newhey are not a priority and that “Newhey is at the bottom of the list”.

·         A recent matter was discussed regarding a resident reporting the strong smell of cannabis emanating from a nearby property and the length of time taken to investigate.  Eighteen months later the property was raided and a number of cannabis plants were discovered.

GMP explained that a warrant is needed to enter a property and this can cause delays if the Magistrate deems that there is insufficient evidence.

·         A recent road traffic accident at the bottom of Huddersfield Road was attended by the Fire Service.  GMP did not attend the scene.

GMP advised that this may be due to Force priorities; each report is triaged and responded to based on urgency and threat to life.

·         Off road bikes are a huge concern for residents; again there appears to be no action being taken by GMP.  Residents reported that it is common place for these bikes to ride on pavements, on the wrong side of the road terrorising other motorists and pedestrians.

It is current GMP policy that Officers are not allowed to pursue off road bikers, in the event of an accident the liability would be GMP’s.  It is another difficult issue because it is hard to identify the offenders.  Residents were encouraged to continue reporting incidents to the GMP.

·         A resident advised that London Police have changed their policy and they are now allowed to pursue off road bikes and asked why this can’t be changed locally.

·         Intelligence has been passed to PCSOs regarding the stripping down of suspected stolen motorcycles.  GMP didn’t take any action regarding this report.  The evidence has since been removed and is now unavailable.

·         A resident complained that she has reported a number of issues to GMP, some of which included drug use and ASB, all of which have received log numbers that she will pass on to PC Adams to follow up.  Again, it appears that no action has been taken by GMP and the resident has heard nothing since.

·         Residents were appalled that the recent incident involving a HGV and off road bikers took GMP three days to respond.

PC Adams explained that there may have been incidents that were higher priority.  Each Police report received is triaged and prioritised using Threat; Harm; Risk criteria.

·         There was a recent bag snatch that was reported to the Police; no response has been received by the victim.

·         Councillor Blundell explained that the issues spoke about are not the fault of PC Adams’ but are a direct result of force budget cuts.  Officers are constantly firefighting due to lack of available resources.  Residents were advised to direct their anger at the decision makers.  Councillor Blundell agreed to write to the Greater Manchester Mayor and suggested that residents did too.

Action 1: Write to Greater Manchester Mayor to raise the communities’ policing concerns (Councillor Blundell)

·         There is legitimate concern regarding the 101 reporting method which will have an impact and distorts the crime figures.

This is a national issue that is being looked into.

·         Residents expressed their frustration at not receiving replies from letters they have written to their MP.

·         PC Adams acknowledged residents’ frustrations and as a Neighbourhood Officer he wants to work effectively with the community to reduce crime; he wants to work together to improve relationships and improve two-way dialogue.  He spoke of a local resident who is in contact with the Inspector who wants to set up a Residents Watch Group which will work in partnership with GMP.  The idea is in its early stages and will no doubt need the input from other residents to make it a success.  The resident concerned introduced himself to the forum and gave a brief overview of what he is trying to achieve which will be of benefit for the whole community.  Volunteers will be needed; this will be communicated when necessary.  The Township offered to assist with the initial set up of the group and can advise on governance.

·         Another issue the Police face is the lack of witnesses that are prepared to testify in court.

Due to disruptive behaviour, the Chair reminded the attendees of the code of conduct and asked all attendees to abide by the forum’s rules for the duration of the meeting.

·         Councillor Kelly advised the forum that the Council can assist with the ASB issues.  Youth Service are engaging with the local young people and Ward Councillors are hoping to support a funding request for additional Youth Bus visits.  They have also spoken with Highways to look at how the roads can be made safer, greener and more efficient for motorists and pedestrians.  Highways Officers are drawing up a Masterplan that will have a number of identified safety schemes that would be consulted on should funding become available.

Action 2: Report updates at future meetings on the Highway Masterplan (Councillor Kelly)