The Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Health and Wellbeing presented a report that sets out the scale of the challenge we face to meet the Climate Emergency Motion declared by the Council. It set out the work that had been done before the Council Motion and since it was declared. The report outlined what actions and leadership were needed to work towards the ambitions of the Council Motion.
Members endorsed the report and agreed that any working group should include representatives from the Rochdale Eco School and hold a conference with the boroughs young people.
1. Endorse the approach which uses the GM 5 Year Environment Plan as a framework which the Council will follow locally and build actions around as set out in paragraph 3.14 of the report;
2. Approve the proposed Draft Climate Emergency Strategy, for consultation, which was attached as Appendix 3 of the report;
3. Approve the membership of the proposed Climate Emergency Working Group that was suggested in the Council Motion as detailed in paragraph 3.23 of the report.
4. Approve the draft terms of reference detailed in Appendix 1 of the report which would then be agreed by the Working Group once formed.
5. Approve the formation of a Climate Change Business Group as detailed in paragraph 3.30 of the report.
6. Note the existing GM and Council projects and activities which should contribute to the 2038 target as set out in Appendix 2 of the report;
7. Note that a request for an initial capital budget allocation had been included in the budget process to support the climate emergency agenda as detailed in paragraph 5.1 of the report.
8. Consider the personnel implications set out in paragraph 7.1 of the report and approve the proposal to establish a post of Climate Emergency Officer for an initial three year fixed term contract.
9. Note that the Climate Emergency Working Group once established would be tasked to agree the final Climate Change Strategy and produce a detailed climate emergency action plan which could form the basis of future discussions and decisions at Cabinet.