Consideration was given to a report of the Chief Finance Officer which sought approval of the guidelines and timetable for the budget setting process 2020/21-2023/24.
Members were advised that there was significant impact on the Revenue budget as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak with ongoing uncertainty as to the level of government funding for local authorities beyond the current financial year. The government intended to provide a one-year funding settlement for
2021/22. The wider reforms to local government funding had been delayed until 2022/23.
Cabinet could determine on differing timelines for the setting of the budget provided that they were undertaken within the principles that allowed for planning across all services so that assumptions used in the preparation of the budget were reasonable and consistently applied by all services within the statutory timeframe.
1. That approval is given to the proposed budget timetable detailed at Appendix 1 within the submitted report.
2. That the revenue assumptions detailed in Appendix 2 within the submitted report be incorporated into the budget setting process.
3. That approval is given to the revenue budget principles detailed in Appendix 3 within the submitted report.
4. That approval is given to the capital budget principles detailed in Appendix 4 within the submitted report.
5. That approval is given to the proposed methods of public engagement outlined in paragraph 4.9 within the submitted report, as part of the 2021/22 budget setting process.
6. That the Revenue Budget update ne noted.
Reason for resolution
Cabinet is required to approve the proposed guidelines and timetable for setting the 2021/22 Budget and Provisional Budgets for 2022/23 and 2023/24 by September 2020.